Author Topic: covering rhubarb  (Read 2047 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
covering rhubarb
« on: January 17, 2012, 15:58:19 »
I have 2 old swing bin bases which I have put over some rhubarb.  Do I need to cut holes in the  bottom of them (which is now  the top)?   Is it necessary to have light for the stems to grow towards?

Chrispy

• Hectare
Re: covering rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 16:09:39 »
When do people normally cover the rhubarb? I have got a green cone that blew on my plot and nobody has claimed so I am going to use that.

In answer to tomatoada question, you want complete dark, commercial forces do not have anything brighter than a candle in their forcing sheds.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 19:44:45 »
Thanks for reply.   Hope to have some early rhubarb crumble.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 20:55:36 »
What colour are the bins?
Any colour except black will let some light in.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 21:21:25 »
I did this last year and the roots rotted into the ground :(

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 22:07:36 »
I have some green shoots on my 15 year old rhubarb plants. I have never covered them as I read somewhere that the plants die and have to be replaced each year if you do this. Is this true? As I love my rhubarb and would hate to be without for the rest of the year.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

darkbrowneggs

• Half Acre
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 23:10:51 »
I force mine every year, some with the old traditional forcers, and some of the bigger crowns with those big black plastic composter things. 

I only harvest the rhubarb for around half the year, and I get lbs and lbs.  (don't like rhubarb that much so give it pretty well all away)  Then I take off the forcers and let it grow unmolested for the rest of the year.   

I should feed it but mostly forget so it gets a few handfuls of seaweed meal some years and then grass clippings round it to hold the weeds down.  You can have say 4 crown and force 2 every other year, but my problem is keeping the stuff in check. 

You do have to watch for slugs if you use a forcer but they are not too much of a problem. And some years mice can be troublesome, but not often.
I love my traditional English Cuckoo Marans and their lovely big brown eggs

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 02:05:58 »
suspect the slugs had mine they were find wednesday and gone sunday :(

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 09:20:37 »
I admit that I don't force my rhubarb as they are never really briliiant and i am afraid of damaging them. Some people say rhubarb is rampant, I don't find it to be so, but maybe I just stumbled onto rubbish plants? I think the rhubarb here is not as good as the varieties that you get in England.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 10:04:42 »
It's probably too warm for it with you, it likes the English climate.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 10:12:07 »
What colour are the bins?
Any colour except black will let some light in.

One is dark brown and the other cream.   
Thanks for the other replies.   I only cover some of my patch of rhubarb.  I do think covering weakens the plant but I have enough to grow the rest without forcing.
I use to use an old bottomless  bucket.  That is why I asked if there needed to be some light at the top.  Thanks crispy.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal