Author Topic: rights to water  (Read 2905 times)

cjc94

rights to water
« on: January 15, 2012, 11:17:08 »
Our local council has decided to turn off the water supply to our site from November until the following April every year from now on.
What we need to know is, under UK law is this legal??
Do we have the right to a uninterrupted water supply. We are charged in advance for the supply and the local council says that they will not make a refund or lower the allotment charges to take account of this new restriction.

We also have tall overhanging tree that reduce the ligh levels to such an extent that anything that is planted grows toward the light and gets leggy ,also these trees drip a sticky residue onto our plants that make them inedible rendering part of our plots unusable for growing edible crops such as fruit etc.

Can anyone give us guidance as to how to get help in dealing with the local authority so that we can use our plots to grow a range of plants and not just flowers.

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: rights to water
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 11:21:00 »
April is far too late,you need freshly drawn water to start off your seeds before then. Where abouts do you live...do you have a governing body such as a local branch of the NSALG? How many of you are there onsite and do you all feel the same..if so club together and fight as a united front
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 12:33:54 »
If uninterrupted water was available when you took on your tenancy then I would suggest that you have an implied contractural right to water, more especially as you have been charged for it.  The council can't legitimately just take that right away, but they could issue new tenancies with 12 months notice, and that effectively makes it pointless trying to enforce the existing right.  Other than a contractural right there's no legal means that I'm aware of that could compel a council to make water available if it didn't want to.

What you really need is to have a dialogue with the council about why they want to turn the water off - it's probably to prevent leaks which isn't altogether unreasonable, and they might possibly not understand the horticultural need for water in March and may be willing to revise their policy.  If they don't want a dialogue it really is an uphill struggle.  If you're not already, join the NSALG and ask them to broker a dialogue between the council and your site association.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 12:59:22 »
Our water is turned off Oct to March which is in our agreement and the reason being we could suffer burst pipes, If I wanted water at this time of year on the lotty I would use my waterbutts, from a personal point of view if I start any seeds off it is usually at home, :)

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 13:17:12 »
Our water is turned off Oct to March which is in our agreement and the reason being we could suffer burst pipes, If I wanted water at this time of year on the lotty I would use my waterbutts, from a personal point of view if I start any seeds off it is usually at home, :)
We used to start them at home too,before we had cats who can't be trusted around precious things like seedlings! Cant say Ive noticed any difference in starting them in the GH,cept less mess and to-ing and fro-ing,sorry,off topic there.
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 18:03:22 »
World War 3 nearly broke out on our site when it was mentioned as a possibility last year as 20% of plotholders have livestock.  For now... it is still on over winter but last winter we had 5 burst taps which is why it was suggested turning off the water in the first place. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 18:31:20 »
Ours are turned off over winter, that's not unreasonable. But usually back on much earlier than April as the growing season is well under way. Not sure what people with chickens do, I assume they bring water up with them. They have to come up to feed the chickens anyway.

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 19:13:54 »
We turn the water off at end October to end March. It's always been that way and is to reduce risk of bursts. People should save water over winter anyway and if they have small seedlings that need clean water they can carry a small amount from home, but most grow seedlings on at home. The two of us with chickens have to fetch it from home.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 22:41:39 »
We turn it off in winter; the chicken keepers manage. The one time we didn't get it turned off, we had burst pipes to cope with.

Fuchsias

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 07:53:37 »
Our water has also always been turned off Nov - March.  Mainly due to prevent burst pipes.

Wehave chickens and have to take our own water but this isn't s problem and like this mornings hard frost, I'll have to go with warm water to defrost their bowl.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 20:45:21 »
What about toilets and handwashing (if you are lucky enough to have them on site).

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 21:21:00 »
What about toilets and handwashing (if you are lucky enough to have them on site).

As I am next to the toilets, most people use buckets from my butts between October-March or carry a bucket of water to the bogs with them.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 10:42:23 »
I have never before needed water in the winter or early spring, so last March, which was particularly dry, I was quite shocked to find it was turned off. I phoned the council to explain politely that water was now needed, and someone came along and turned it on again. What's more, I watched him, and all he had to do was reach into a manhole in the car park and turn a tap - no special key or other equipment. I plan to do it myself if it happens again.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 20:39:41 »
April is far too late, I would argue that month and ask fo a reduction in water rates for the other months as they haven't give you a years notice. As said already does this turn the toilet water off. :(
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 20:42:32 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal