Author Topic: Jock Independance (again)  (Read 18550 times)

betula

• Hectare
Re: Jock Independance (again)
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2012, 20:42:39 »
Come on Ollie. I can remember a few years back when you could be a right old rebel rouser. :

The Shed is meant for stuff other than gardening............and to be fair the origanal post was political.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2012, 20:56:19 »
I'm actually quite offended at the comparison, Den.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2012, 21:01:24 »
I was not comparing you ,just pointing out that there was a time when you would make a point quite strongly.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2012, 22:08:00 »
The clock changing thing is down to the 'europeans' wanting us to be on the same timezone as them.
Never surrender to Berlin time!!!

Its also to do largely with the fact the London Stock Exchange opens an hour later than the Börse Berlin AG, and closes an hour later, Berlin time, and  this gives us a bit of a trading advantage, and the germans want us on the same time to wipe that advantage out. Its the german stockbrokers mainly who keep pushing this one.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2012, 12:51:57 »
Just been having a very in depth debate at work with my mate which took most of our brew time(we only get ten minutes) who is Scottish and very political about the pending Independence referendum, according to him 'The man from Aberdeen says No', :) 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2012, 12:52:01 »
I have just been seeing on the BBC new channel someone who says that they will stay in the pound after independence and then have another vote on joining the Euro.

So if they vote for independence what makes them think we will accept them staying in the pound.  Looks like they want a heads they win, tails they win scenario.   They cannot be separate when it suits and attached as well.  If they vote for independence they will either have to have their own currency or join the Euro surely they must know that is what they are voting for. 

Those who have joined the Euro have now found out that they have to play by the German/French fiscal rules.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2012, 10:51:08 »
Once of a day you had a job to spend to get a Jock pound note in England or get it changed, long before we went anywhere near the Common Market, :)

carbonel11

• Half Acre
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2012, 11:59:51 »
Reading the Sundays, currently the most popular option with 70% in Scotland would be Devo Max. This would involve a seperate government with totally seperate governance ,tax raising and expenditure power but under an umbrella of UK citizenship. Spain has a similar set up with the Basque and Catalan areas. This is the option that currently would not feature in any referendum. Sounds like the Scot's do not fear the seperation out of their economy.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2012, 13:48:09 »
there are a few major issues not being discussed by the govt.

1, Britain 'needs' Scotland for it's deep water submarine docks.

2, Britain 'needs' Scotland for it's RAF bases ( nr Arctic circle)

3, Scotland's multi million pound deal to supply farmed salmon to the far east ( china ) ( it's part of the giant panda deal )
You couldn't make it up!

meter rat

• Not So New ...
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2012, 22:54:46 »
Please stop referring too us as Jocks. 

As an exile for many years. I don't think I would concider moving back, if Scotland became independent.  I don't think It would survive as a country alone. England won't let Scotland go on its own until the oil runs out, and given the new technology for removing it from oil shale that won't be for thirty to forty years. My views only for what their worth.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2012, 23:11:21 »
We are all BRITISH IF OUR COUNTRY NEEDED US WE ALL WOULD BE THERE  AS ONE This is politics spotlight this and everything else is hidden
m j gravell

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2012, 07:33:17 »
We are all BRITISH IF OUR COUNTRY NEEDED US WE ALL WOULD BE THERE  AS ONE This is politics spotlight this and everything else is hidden

Is this the only valid argument for the Union?

I'm finding it very hard in the world of 2012 to think of genuine reasons other than simply patriotism why the Scots shouldn't just leave, if they want to.

Both Scotland and a reduced UK (E, W & NI) would be economically viable.  Whether Scotland adopted the euro, tied itself to the pound, or went back to the groat is a mere detail.

The most difficult thing for individuals living in the "wrong" country would be which citizenship to adopt (or dual nationality), since that could affect their duties under the respective laws and, presumably, access to pensions and public services.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2012, 12:51:15 »
After reading all these comments I have come to the conclusion that Alex Salmond is a brave man!

But then again he is ...... from the " Land of the Brave"

The other thing is;  will it be his Bannockburn or his Culloden?

Another point of view could be;  Is Alex Salmond only  aspiring to becoming Scotlands answer to Mel Gibson?

I can just hear him on the floors of the Scottish parliament shouting;

Freeeeedom!!    

History states wee Wullie Wallace lost his heid at Westminster  (bridge that is) will history repeat itself and  oor wee Alex will lose his at Westminster Palace?

Who will David and Nick get to arbitrate the forthcoming discussions on the subject?  

Will it be that reknowned peace negotiator Tony the Blair, or will they get Mandelson in the hope that he will bring  music to their ears!........aaaaH! I can just hear those overtures!

I also recall that after Wullie Wallace, Robert the Bruce was the saviour of the Scots

Who will be their savior this time?

It is said that Robert the Bruce made his decision to rule after watching a spider construct its web!

Is it possible that the new successor might be Gordon the Brown who has been following the events on the wwWeb?

I can just see him charging up Princes street on his black stallion called Loyd, (passing the Royal Bank of Scotland) en-route to Holyrood.

Hooray !!!! Scotland is saved again

Up the rebels!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 12:53:16 by Tee Gee »

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2012, 12:41:55 »
Tee Gee, you owe me a keyboard.  :-[
Funny as mate. :D
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal