Author Topic: soil testing  (Read 1389 times)

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
soil testing
« on: January 04, 2012, 16:04:07 »
each season i see many posts on what fert to use or  what to feed .
 this is fine really but do you know what you already have in your soil not many of us do
most people on here wont even know the true ph reading of the plot they are planting up that is also fine for most people as it just a hobby to get us either fit or for a bit of quiet time down the plot.

i have allsorts of feeds and pots of different stuff in my sheds  and i have been known to add this or that incase its missing ,sometimes it seems to work  and sometimes it doesnt really make a difference.

since i have gone into competition growing  my attitude has had to change  there is little point in adding stuff to the patch you dont need or dont want  to much of a nutrient is just as bad as to little . so i had my soil tested  and i have been surprised by the results

bare in mind i have not added anything at all to my plot since last spring other than seaweed feeds and maybe a couple more feeds during the year i got these results back .

these results really surprised me as most of my levels are through the roof and only a couple of things are low i.e. iron and boron
i have added the details into a program a friend of mine is developing and it shows me  my soil balance is way off in some parts these inbalances need to be addressed before i can  hope to achieve my goals

usually id just go out and buy some ammendments like always and put them on the patch  not this year i wont i will only add what needs adding and hopefully i will get some personal best in my growing . i hope this is of intrest to someone  this test was only done for 1000 sq ft of my plot as its my giant pumpkin patch good luck everyone this coming year hope you all have a great year
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

plotstoeat

• Acre
Re: soil testing
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 16:36:29 »
Slyfox: I have to admit I was pretty confused beyond the third line of your report but I am interested in your conclusions. I had best ever results with my pumpkins last year and intend to grow more this year as they store well and are low maintenance. So I would like to learn more but don't intend to exhibit beyond our village show. I have read that they can't have too much organic fertilizer and I have grown them successfully directly into a compost heap. I intend to do that again this year so I would be interested in views on how high the ph should be.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 15:22:34 »
the guidline on the giant pumpkin site is a ph of 6.8 is about right  but this may not be true for all pumpkins or squash
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 16:48:18 »
Wow! your organic matter level is ballistic. Very impressive. This is probably why the nutrient levels are so high too. Quite apart from soluble nutrients in the compost, as the organic matter oxidises it forms humic acid which is capable of dissolving the (normally non-soluble) mineral component of the soil. Or something like that.
This does support the expression 'compost fixes all problems'.

Maybe you should bag up your topsoil and market it. :-)

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 17:20:03 »
my only real concern is my phosphorus content  phos is a very  immobile  nutrient and will prove difficult to lower that in conjunction with my high cec (cation exchange capacity ) of 41.8 everything in my soil stays in my soil  quite awhile  so cover crops are going to used the next couple of season to reduce levels
thanks for your comments

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal