Author Topic: scumbag!  (Read 10927 times)

betula

• Hectare
Re: scumbag!
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 22:02:36 »
5 years at least.5 years locked up.About time we handed out sentences that bite. >:(

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 22:49:18 »
Pity they can't confiscate his Porsche and make him pay for having it crushed.  That would really hurt!!!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 07:56:41 »
5 years at least.5 years locked up.About time we handed out sentences that bite. >:(

And we immediately come to the political elephant in the room - the number of prison places.  A few years ago I attempted to calculate the required prison capacity needed to deter crimes of violence against the person, based on a public opinion survey of appropriate sentencing.

At that time the total prison population of England and Wales was under 80,000.  I reckoned we would need around 250,000 places for crimes of violence alone, plus whatever capacity was needed for theft, fraud, public disorder etc.

It's a non-trivial calculation, since longer sentences would mean fewer crimes committed by recidivists (since they'd be in the slammer, not on the streets), and presumably there'd be a deterrent effect.  Or so we would hope.

So maybe we'd need fewer prison places as violent people became more law-abiding.  But there clearly would have to be the political will to multiply prison capacity by a large factor.  And the costs would be startling.  I think it costs around £40k a year for each prison place.  So we're currently spending around three and a half billion pounds a year.  (Current prison population E&W just under 90,000)

Can you imagine the reaction to a demand to multiply that by 3?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 08:40:54 »
I don't know what goes on inside prisons..I admit I have the idea,.. not much..that prisoners are on 'holiday'=free to entertain themselves as allowed. Why cannot prisoners made to earn their keeping..some of them have never earned honest living in their life, so it would also work as valuable lesson.
You would think that combining manufacturing/labour, education and earned experience from work would benefit everybody...not just the prisoner. If they don't keep in given timetable (turning up to work place)..they don't eat as they haven't earned their grub.
Less dangerous prisoners could be shifted to farmers fields for the day for crop picking..why not prisons taking on farming themselves..less need for the foreign labour..prison grows their own food..sell the produce to get some money..
If goverment would even try to arrage even one self-sufficient prison as trial case..I'm sure it would be doable with some clever planning.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 09:15:45 »
We have three prison over here, my father was an officer in all three, camphill used to be a farming prison, supplying the other prisons with their crops. I think that has changed now. Some of the low risk prisoners go out in the community and tend old churchyards etc. I don't think it is as easy as depicted in some papers. Parkhurst still has the gallows in place as I think there are still hanging offences. Depriving people of their liberty is a detterent to 99% of the population. Some are incurable criminals and some are there because they have been institutionalised. It is nearly impossible not to break the law nowadays, though some crimes are so trivial they should never get to court. But we do need rules otherwise everything would go to pot.

Here is some inside info
http://www.insidetime.org/info-regimes2.asp?nameofprison=HMP_ISLE_OF_WIGHT_-_CAMP_HILL

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 09:57:44 »
running round in a Porsche he is more than likely self employed or loaded and will get some smart brief to plead on his behalf that he did not know it was tied to the car, >:(
What's self employment to do with any of this?
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 16:48:33 »
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 18:35:28 »

And we immediately come to the political elephant in the room - the number of prison places.  A few years ago I attempted to calculate the required prison capacity needed to deter crimes of violence against the person, based on a public opinion survey of appropriate sentencing.

At that time the total prison population of England and Wales was under 80,000.  I reckoned we would need around 250,000 places for crimes of violence alone, plus whatever capacity was needed for theft, fraud, public disorder etc.

It's a non-trivial calculation, since longer sentences would mean fewer crimes committed by recidivists (since they'd be in the slammer, not on the streets), and presumably there'd be a deterrent effect.  Or so we would hope.

So maybe we'd need fewer prison places as violent people became more law-abiding.  But there clearly would have to be the political will to multiply prison capacity by a large factor.  And the costs would be startling.  I think it costs around £40k a year for each prison place.  So we're currently spending around three and a half billion pounds a year.  (Current prison population E&W just under 90,000)

Can you imagine the reaction to a demand to multiply that by 3?
Just make the Holiday Inn's 24 hour, sorry Prisons, illuminate the quarries on Dartmoor and put  Prison workshops on twelve hour shifts and lets have a bit of bed hopping to create more Hotel accommodation, but  two prisons have been closed this year and nine are going out to private tender for privatisation to make the lags life even more comfortable,

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 19:30:07 »
Oh how quick we are to judge. It seems likely that the driver was completely unaware that a dog who had run off while out for a walk had become entagled in his exhaust by it's long lead. Early reports that it was his family dog or had rowed with his wife were wild speculation. They are still trying to trace the owner.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9380757.Driver_claims_A27_dog_ordeal_was_accident/

You'd think we'd learn not to make judgements based solely on the first press reports given the nature of the press here.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 19:31:47 by djbrenton »

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 19:44:20 »
I don't believe anything anymore that I read in newspapers, only gossip when its true,

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2011, 11:45:38 »
Porsche driver who dragged dog to its death won't face prosecution

A 33-year-old man will not face prosecution after a dog was dragged behind a Porsche for more than six miles before being found dead, police said tonight.

Detectives said they were satisfied that the animal's death was a "tragic accident" and followed an "extremely unusual set of circumstances".

Inquiries revealed that the man arrested inadvertently ran over the dog's lead which became trapped under his car on November 20, Sussex Police said.

The man was detained after a witness spotted a black Porsche Carrera being driven with a dog attached at Devil's d**e beauty spot car park north of Brighton at 10pm.

Half an hour later, the high-powered sports car was seen on the A27 just past the Southwick Tunnel still dragging the dog along.

It then pulled into a lay-by.

When officers from Sussex Police arrived, they found the body of the dead dog, a beagle-collie cross, which they took to a local vet.

The man was arrested on suspicion of animal cruelty after handing himself in to his local police station in Worthing, West Sussex.

But police said he has now been stood down from his bail and no further action will be taken.

Detective Inspector Russ Sheppard, of Sussex Police, said: "Understandably, this sad case has attracted an enormous amount of public interest.

"The initial reports led us to believe that we were dealing with a deliberate incident of animal cruelty so it was quite right that we investigated it thoroughly and quickly appealed for witnesses.

"We have taken into account witness statements, a forensic examination of the car and a post-mortem of the dog and have also liaised with colleagues from the RSPCA.

"We are now satisfied that this was a tragic accident brought about by an extremely unusual set of circumstances, whereby the man inadvertently ran over the dog's lead which became trapped under his car.

"I can understand the emotional impact of this case and wish to make it clear that the arrested man has been stood down from police bail and that no further action will be taken against him."

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/12/01/porsche-driver-who-dragged-dog-to-its-death-won-t-face-prosecution-115875-23603415/#ixzz1fSs3vYjU

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 14:12:04 »
It is still a tragic accident, I stated in my first and second post that I could not got my head around it. Although the outcome is still a sad ending I am glad it was not deliberate.

Coming so soon after the swinging cat incident, I went straight into red rage, even though I could not believe what I was reading. News like this goes viral in this internet age so quickly. But I suppose we will still judge first and repent later. Not like the local rag which is usually read by people who know the full facts.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 14:37:24 »
It doesn't sound like an accident to me.  Where was the dog owner during all of this - why was a dog on the public highway with a lead attached with no responsible person present?

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2011, 15:13:09 »
It doesn't sound like an accident to me.  Where was the dog owner during all of this - why was a dog on the public highway with a lead attached with no responsible person present?

The dog was apparently trailing one of those extendible leads, obviously having escaped his owner. The driver missed the dog and was unaware that the lead was still half way across the road when he drove over it and it got caught on his exhaust. The owner hasn't come forward.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2011, 15:25:21 »
The owner has been identified.  His name is mentioned in other press articles and he has apparently been talking about the incident on Facebook.  Maybe the car driver can recover from him the cost of any repairs to his car and compensation for the living hell I'm sure he has been subjected to since the story broke. 

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2011, 20:04:49 »
I can't figure out how a dog lead would get caught up in a car exhaust.

Surely it would be trailing on the floor.

So to add to the dog owners hell you would like to see him /her paying out
for so called repairs to the car.Great......all heart.

How the heck you would not see a dog attached to your car beats me.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2011, 12:49:17 »
Beats me how you would! I for one cannot see my exhaust in my rear view mirror.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2011, 13:02:16 »
presume you could see the outside of your car before you get in...........if you tell me it happened while he was driving I would laugh me socks off.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2011, 13:16:34 »
Who checks around their car every time they drive off, or the dog could have run under the car just as he drove off, the possibilities are endless.

I once drove off with my mothers cat on the roof, I guess it jumped on after I had got in the car, I had only done about 200 meters before I had to stop to see why I was getting so many strange looks.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2011, 13:34:00 »

“Detective Inspector Russ Sheppard said:.................. We have taken into account witness statements, a forensic examination of the car and a post mortem of the dog and have also liaised with colleagues from the RSPCA. We are now satisfied that this was tragic accident brought about by an extremely unusual set of circumstances, whereby the man inadvertently ran over the dog’s lead which became trapped under his car.

http://www.sussex.police.uk/news-and-events/news/2011/12/01/no-further-action-in-dog-death-case

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal