Author Topic: Toast sandwich anyone  (Read 10510 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: Toast sandwich anyone
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2011, 13:49:24 »
Oh- that looks much more interesting!
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2011, 14:12:48 »
Code: [Select]
My kids favourite was fried bread and jam Oh yes...what is called here as eggy bread..in Finland its 'poor knights'. Egg whisked in milk and bread soaked in it..fried in butter and big dollop of strawberry
That's called French Toast in the states except we serve with maple syrup and side of bacon as a breakfast or supper, tea or whatever you call the small meal. Also Toad in a Hole which I guess must be UK origin- fried toast with egg cooked in the center.

Peanut butter and grape jelly=standard cheap lunch we took to school and didn't require refrigeration. Still have that sometimes.

[/quote I have French Toast made with just bread soaked in beaten egg, tho' I've not tried it mixed with milk. I suppose that'll help make the egg go further as I use  2 eggs for 3 slices just for myself (i know, it's a lot for one, but i love it) and served with Lyle and Tate's Maple Syrup.

It's also known as Gypsy Toast too..

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 14:14:07 »
I think it is generational - my parents were "working class" Brits, from families of 5 and 7 kids, and when they were small, dinner was often bread and sugar with hot milk thrown over it! or so they used to say. Bread was never wasted, they would have bread pudding, and there were always filling puddings like rice or (erk) tapioca or semolina puddings or steamed puddings and custard which I think were a substitute for dinner with a cup of tea! My mum still loved condensed milk on bread and used to also soak up the dripping on bread after a roast. I think they were brought up on very plain, cheap food, stews, minced meat stewed with veg, potatoes at every meal, cabbage and carrots and of course things like fried eggs, bacon, sausages, chops, and everything possible on toast or bread. Salad was just a load of raw food, lettuce, tomatoes, spring onions, pickled beetroot and cheese, with salad cream.  Their diet was a lot more basic than ours is now! Not sure it was as healthy but there was no money for convenience food, except a few tinned goods.

When I was small, my mum was a pretty hopeless cook and i think we had about 12 dishes that just were cycled round and round, between chops and 3 veg, roasts, fish fingers, fry ups, stews of various types, shepherds pies, steak and chips, salad and cold meat in the hot summer, and lunches were always just sandwiches! No wonder I have always been fat!  ;D  ;D  ;D I admit that I do still loved cooked eggs on toast, baked beans and cheese on toast and my kids will eat some of those things but clearly they haven't been brought up like that (we now eat like Frenchies which is pretty healthy food) and some things they find astounding! The jam sandwiches always make their eyes open wide!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 17:11:24 »
Well if you are having steak and kidney pudding, where do you live? a few of us might just pop in about lunch time ;)  I will bring my own knife and fork.
Snake and Pygmy Pud, unfortunately, is a bit of a rarity nowadays.... But we'll gladly feed anyone that's hungry. Any time you need feeding, I'm sure we'll manage to set an extra place. :)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

pumkinlover

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2011, 18:46:38 »
Flitch is a cut of bacon over here!

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2011, 19:14:27 »

Snake and Pygmy Pud, unfortunately, is a bit of a rarity nowadays.... But we'll gladly feed anyone that's hungry. Any time you need feeding, I'm sure we'll manage to set an extra place. :)

Just finished ours was expecting Ace hope he isn't stuck in traffic cos it's all gone now!!!

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2011, 19:24:11 »

Just finished ours was expecting Ace hope he isn't stuck in traffic cos it's all gone now!!!
Haha! Nom Nom Nom.....

Nig.
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2011, 19:52:47 »

Well what shall I do with these couple of bottles of wine I purchased specially for the occasion. I will have them tomorrow night with a bacon roly poly she has promised to make me for tea. ;D

I shall just go have to go down the pub now and finish the evening in the kebab house and have a bit of a scoff off the old elephant leg.

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2011, 20:21:26 »
Il Bastardo wine http://flic.kr/p/7d2Moj
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 20:29:39 by plainleaf »

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2011, 20:33:17 »
Also Toad in a Hole which I guess must be UK origin- fried toast with egg cooked in the center.
A fried slice of bread with an egg in the centre of it was called "Egg-in-t-'ole" in my day and was a Lancashire dish.
My kids, adults themselves now, will ask for it whenever they remember, and as long as there's tomato ketchup handy.
It's a really handy, fast, energy-packed, snack.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2011, 22:26:47 »
Also Toad in a Hole which I guess must be UK origin- fried toast with egg cooked in the center.
A fried slice of bread with an egg in the centre of it was called "Egg-in-t-'ole" in my day and was a Lancashire dish.
My kids, adults themselves now, will ask for it whenever they remember, and as long as there's tomato ketchup handy.
It's a really handy, fast, energy-packed, snack.
Yes, it is a handy quick meal. Your name for it sounds like it got mixed up crossing the ocean somehow. To me it is tastier than a poached egg with a slice of toast though they're the same basically.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2011, 23:08:41 »
We had roast pork yesterday with all the trimmings. I did a most sinful thing. I ate all the crackling. I also did another sinful thing. I had pork dripping on toast for my breakfast, all I could think of was my high cholesterol. I was brought up with dripping butties as a child, only one thing better that pork dripping and that is lamb dripping. My OH won't touch fat so I get it all to myself. So my ideal toast sandwich would to have dripping on both sides of the toast with salt and pepper between two slices of bread.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2011, 00:28:28 »
My dad is 96. Through his childhood they ate mainly vegetables as meat was dear and rare in their household. Once in a very blue moon one of the goats was slaughtered and they had meat! They did have a small Sunday joint when money allowed but between all the children this amounted to a slice each.  ::)

For years, as an adult, he would avoid vegetables if he could - lamb stews are his favourite. Now he continues to love fried potatoes and very basic cooking. My mother is a good cook - all the old fashioned foods and puddings.

During the war years my father's diet was very sparse as he was in Africa starting in Durban and driving through to North Africa. Next Italy and through to the Low Countries - eventually back to UK via Dunkirk. A hard life but, with a simple diet, he has remained both active and fit.

Fancy cooking and diets?  ::) Stick to the basics and variety with tons of fresh veg.  ;)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2011, 10:04:07 »
Had a nice slice of my home made 'facaccia' topped with Stilton, :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal