Author Topic: Toast sandwich anyone  (Read 10517 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Toast sandwich anyone
« on: November 16, 2011, 20:02:20 »
The cheapest meal going. Do you think I could have mine lightly done with dripping.

pumkinlover

Re: Toast sandwich anyone
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 20:03:41 »
And a bit of salt n' pepper on mine please ;D
What's this an economy drive Ace?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 20:57:41 »
It was on breakfast TV this morning...............Mrs Beeton :o

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 21:02:00 »
It's making me peckish thinking about it :D

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 21:58:49 »

Can I have cheese on mine?

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 22:03:36 »
Of course ;D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 04:55:12 »
Why did I choose to read this at 4:45am in the morning!!  ::)

I couldn't sleep so thought I might just as well get up. Next on went the PC to look for van hire to move my parents into a new place in a few weeks time. (Just one of the several things I had on my mind).

Van hire saved to favourites.....and then I nipped to A4A to see if anyone else was awake.

Right now I'm considering a sandwich.

My dad (the world's greatest cook - Not!) used to open a tin of condensed milk at 5 in the morning and we would share that before we went off down the road to a prefab at the bottom of the hill where I went back to bed and was looked after until it was time to get up for school. He, of course, went off to work. Those were the days!

They seem not to have done me too much harm. Nor did the dripping sandwiches we sometimes had for tea.  ;D
He seems to have done OK too.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 08:44:20 »
Sugar on toast anyone ;D ;D ;D?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 09:35:19 »
Ray's dad used to like  chocolate sandwiches  :o he was 91 when he died  ;D
I had cheese and tomato on toast last night ;D

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 11:57:56 »
It's lovely now these memories of sandwiches/something to eat on bread come out of the woodwork! It may well be a generation thing?  My childhood was directly after the war, and I have lovely memories of brown sugar (and butter or perhaps it was marge) on bread, condensed milk on bread (yum, yum, yum, yum, yum!) and dripping jelly on toast, 'cos I didn't like the fat but loved the jelly. Not long after that my mum started to make jam, presumably because the sugar became easier to obtain, so it was then various home-made jams on bread.  But I still LOVE condensed milk and spoon the remains of a tin happily into my mouth.  We also buy it in tubes here in France, and it has become known as ointment!

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 12:28:22 »

I used to have dripping on toast on sunday after my bath!! I also love a slice of bread dipped in the meat juices . No wonder I'm not a size 0  ;D ;D

X Chas

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 13:08:42 »
My daughter doesn't eat anything on toast.    The nearest she gets is crumpets with chocolate spread or jam.

I remember having cheap suppers of beans on toast, cheese on toast, pilchards on toast, cauliflower cheese, macaroni cheese but, until recently, I had to do a 50 mile round trip to the nearest Heinz Beans supply so she's grown up with pasta and fresh home made sauces and cheap dinners for us are pasta or cheaper cuts of meat or fish with home grown veggies and salads whenever possible.

I tried her on beans on toast a couple of years ago but she hates the beans and won't go near cheese on toast either - unless it's a Croque Monsieur when we're out and need a quick snack and then she's just as likely to have a Croque Madame with a fried egg on top.
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 14:28:20 »
 I remember having marge on our toast, but we would always get 'mucky fat' for monday breakfast. When I had to stay with an aunt once, she put real butter on a toasted teacake. A taste that remains with me to this day. I will not have these healthy spreads in the house they turn the toast all soggy.

Our meals when we were kids were pretty predictable.

Porridge or toast in the winter, cornflakes in the warmer weather for breaky

Egg and chips, spam fritters and baked beans, cold meat left over from sunday usually rabbit, loads of spuds and cabbage. If it was really cold we got stew and dumplings thickened up with lentils for our midday meals. After the sugar rationing stopped we would sometimes have a jam roly poly for pud but that was usually made from the leftover suet mix that made the steak and kidney pudding.

Bread and jam for tea, but tinned fruit and jelly with a drop of carnation milk on sundays.

Always ovaltine or milk sop for something warm  before heading up the wooden hill.

Didn't do to bad on that diet, but I was glad when they gave us free school dinners.

You cleared your plate if you didn't it was put in front of you for the next meal. No waste allowed at all.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 17:18:07 »
I remember having bread and dripping.  I love it especially if it has  a bit of the meat juices underneath.  Feel bad I do not think my children have ever had bread and dripping. 

It was supposed to be fattening, but as a child I was as skinny as a rake.  Those were the days. :o

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 18:31:11 »
I remember having marge on our toast, but we would always get 'mucky fat' for monday breakfast. When I had to stay with an aunt once, she put real butter on a toasted teacake. A taste that remains with me to this day. I will not have these healthy spreads in the house they turn the toast all soggy.

Our meals when we were kids were pretty predictable.

Porridge or toast in the winter, cornflakes in the warmer weather for breaky

Egg and chips, spam fritters and baked beans, cold meat left over from sunday usually rabbit, loads of spuds and cabbage. If it was really cold we got stew and dumplings thickened up with lentils for our midday meals. After the sugar rationing stopped we would sometimes have a jam roly poly for pud but that was usually made from the leftover suet mix that made the steak and kidney pudding.

Bread and jam for tea, but tinned fruit and jelly with a drop of carnation milk on sundays.

Always ovaltine or milk sop for something warm  before heading up the wooden hill.

Didn't do to bad on that diet, but I was glad when they gave us free school dinners.

You cleared your plate if you didn't it was put in front of you for the next meal. No waste allowed at all.
You remember.
You just reproduced our weekly menu....... More or less.
The hard times are biting.
Thank goodness for our allotment. If we can afford meat, we have a complete meal a king would be happy with.
If not, a beautiful vegetable soup, or roasted veg.... Whatever.... The family will manage between ourselves..... and school dinners really do help the kids grow.
I'm just glad my lot listened to me instead of sending the boring old bloke that always warned of hard times a'coming,  to bed....
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 18:48:56 »
Well if you are having steak and kidney pudding, where do you live? a few of us might just pop in about lunch time ;)  I will bring my own knife and fork.

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 19:02:17 »
 Thats what we have tomorrow tomorrow Ace.

You would be very welcome  think it might be a long journey though  ;D ;D

x Chas

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 19:10:51 »
What is milk sop?
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 19:31:48 »
What is milk sop?

No idea But I'll pass if that's ok. Would prefer Horlicks!!!

X Chas

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 19:58:55 »
the second shows what many people who post on bbc site think about the old toast
sandwich
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15752918
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15760897

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal