Author Topic: Toast sandwich anyone  (Read 10509 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Toast sandwich anyone
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 20:24:46 »
What is milk sop?

half and half hot milk and water mixed with bread and sometimes sugar or usually malt extract, I could not touch it now bit it warmed you up and stopped your belly rumbling at bedtime.

I still had a 28 inch waist when I was 21 and never went over 9 stone. Making up for it now though ;)

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 22:03:04 »
Milk pobs in Barnsley, loved them with sugar on.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 22:07:48 »
Thanks for reminding me of Ovaltine. Haven't had it in years but can taste it now. That was sometimes a before bed snickersnack. Sometimes Dad would crush crackers in milk or oyster crackers in milk.

I can also remember lying in bed on my stomach with my fist pressed against me to "fill up the tummy" when I got hungry in the middle of the night. That makes it sound like my parents never fed me which wasn't the case at all...just hunger pangs.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 02:00:11 »
What is milk sop?

It's one food I'd sooner avoid. I remember being fed this by an elderly well meaning landlady when I was ill at college. It really did make things worse...bless her.  ::)

Bung is a drop of cider and....I'm feeling yuck all over again.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 05:32:46 »
Milk pobs in Barnsley, loved them with sugar on.

We always had pobs but this is the first time I've come across anyone who knows what they are.  I was beginning to think I was imagining them.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 07:39:03 »
Oh's Gran used to put bread pieces in a bowl with tea poured on sprinkled with sugar and put in the oven
My kids favourite was fried bread and jam ;D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 07:41:35 by pansy potter »
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2011, 08:08:56 »

My kids favourite was fried bread and jam ;D

I'd forgot about that treat, if it was covered in batter it tasted a bit like a doughnut.

They are asking for ideas on the cheapest meals, I think we have come up with quite a few ideas on here.

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2011, 08:21:12 »
When my kids asked what was for tea it was always "bread and to it" ;D
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2011, 08:33:15 »
Green pea and duck ;D

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2011, 08:42:24 »
I grew up with predictable weekly meals and hated it so am determined not to do it to my daughter.   We had roast lunch on Sunday with left over cold meat and some veggies on Monday evening.  Tuesday was curry made with the rest of the cold meat and, if needed, added hard boiled eggs if there wasn't enough meat.    Wednesday might be liver and onions or kidneys till things got better and we might get steak and kidney with suet dumplings.  Thursday was cauliflower or macaroni cheese and Friday was tripe and onions until things got better and we might have a bit of gammon if we were lucky.    On Saturdays, mum boiled a ham for the week's sandwiches and Saturday dinner and baked scones but they weren't good.   Lunches were pea and ham soup from the ham water, beans on toast, spaghetti on toast, scrambled eggs on toast............

For me the cheapest meal is surely made from home grown veg - healthy, nutritious, tasty and versatile as soup or bakes or braises or stir fry with just a bit of oil or butter with added beans or lentils or grated cheese for protein.   Home made cakes and biscuits are also cheaper and tastier than bought ones full of unknown chemicals.

I also think people lack basic cooking skills and don't know what to do with cheaper cuts of meat and, of course, rely too much on supermarkets who do not offer the cheapest cuts of meat such as cheeks, shin and so on.   It doesn't have to take agreat deal of time, just some planning ahead.  I braised two pork hocks with chopped onions, carrots and celery on Wednesday then left them to cool.    Yesterday I took the meat off the bone and added it to onions and mushrooms with a dab of mustard, some tarragon from the garden and the stock from cooking the meat.  It gave us enough for two meals for 3 people and cost all of €7 which means I can afford to treat my daughter to her favourite lamb this weekend.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:44:09 by Obbelix »
Obxx - Vendée France

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 09:26:39 »
Code: [Select]
My kids favourite was fried bread and jam Oh yes...what is called here as eggy bread..in Finland its 'poor knights'. Egg whisked in milk and bread soaked in it..fried in butter and big dollop of strawberry jam...
YUM..it was regular thing and always done with stale bread..sometimes bread was left purposely untouched so we could get the dads master piece of cookery for tea.. ::) ;D..the one of two dishes he could russle up, other one was pan cakes.. ;D....and the air was 'gray' with butter smoke when he was at it.. ;D Once he started he didn't just do few..it was army size load pancakes or knights on counter and we had them next day cold too  ::) ;D
Today OH ordered for tea tray of yorkshire pudding..One biggen..to eaten with milk and jam.. ;D

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2011, 10:02:50 »
Never heard of eggy bread till I became an au paire in Belgium where it's called Pain Perdu and flavoured with cinnamon and/or vanilla sugar.

Sunday pud at home was always rice pudding which I loathed.   A cheap tea was drop scones.   Never met any of the traditional English puds such as bread and butter pudding at home though we did get spotty dick at school and sometimes jam roly poly or Manchester tart.    I've made up for it since and now have a fine repertoire of British cakes and puds which my Belgian friends adore.   
Obxx - Vendée France

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2011, 10:03:41 »
When my kids asked what was for tea it was always "bread and to it" ;D

"Bread & pull it"...  ;)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 10:06:46 »
mum used to mash  corned beef into mashed potato, make it into balls and eg and breadcrumb them, then deep fried in lard. Mrs Miller's great balls of fire  ;D
no wonder I have cholesterol problems  ;D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 10:15:34 »
mum used to mash  corned beef into mashed potato, make it into balls and eg and breadcrumb them, then deep fried in lard. Mrs Miller's great balls of fire  ;D
no wonder I have cholesterol problems  ;D

Corned beef hash!! Lovely.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 11:42:44 »
"Bread and point"...

Anymore?

pumkinlover

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 12:44:19 »
MrPKL's friend had "bacon shapes" -don't know bread and point-sorry
Any takers on bacon shapes?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 13:11:38 »
Egg and chips if the money is tight............Love it ;D

Mum often had a stew pan on............no money but never hungry.

If I could choose any food in the world it would be my Mum's stew. ;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 13:14:54 »
Code: [Select]
My kids favourite was fried bread and jam Oh yes...what is called here as eggy bread..in Finland its 'poor knights'. Egg whisked in milk and bread soaked in it..fried in butter and big dollop of strawberry
That's called French Toast in the states except we serve with maple syrup and side of bacon as a breakfast or supper, tea or whatever you call the small meal. Also Toad in a Hole which I guess must be UK origin- fried toast with egg cooked in the center.

Peanut butter and grape jelly=standard cheap lunch we took to school and didn't require refrigeration. Still have that sometimes.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 13:19:25 »
Oh forgot FLITCH!  Pennsylvania Dutch  for bacon grease made into a white gravy served over toast. NOT MY FAVORITE growing up ugh but did fill us up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal