Author Topic: several veg growing terms that seem to confuse gardeners  (Read 47458 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: several veg growing terms that seem to confuse gardeners
« Reply #160 on: October 23, 2011, 10:16:20 »
Never use an embroided table cloth when having beetroot for tea ;) ;) ;)

... or give teenagers a bowl of chocolate mousse when you have an off-white carpet!!!! (the voice of experience)  :(

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #161 on: October 23, 2011, 10:17:08 »
Anne..........yes very lucky re my job.Had been looking for a job for ages and finally got offered a driving job.....all set to start and I got offerred this job.No contest.I love it :)

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #162 on: October 23, 2011, 10:18:04 »
Bottom drawers
  My bottom drawers have got larger with age :o ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #163 on: October 23, 2011, 10:19:34 »
Bottom drawers
I think that might be a degree more of information than we need ..... :P

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #164 on: October 23, 2011, 10:22:33 »
Search on here, Anne, there's a lovely one of Jeannine's  ;D
got it
Banana Muffins. Makes 12 huge muffins in the big American muffin cases
Thanks Mal! I've copied it into my recipe folder. Now could anyone save me a google and explain the intricacies of measurements in cups? Preferably in grams or even in pounds and ounces!! Pretty please!

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #165 on: October 23, 2011, 10:23:00 »
Bottom drawers
I think that might be a degree more of information than we need ..... :P

The truth hurts, Anne - particularly when I try to squeeze into something I could easily wear five years ago.......

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #166 on: October 23, 2011, 10:26:45 »
Lish that sounds wonderful ;DI particularly like the old Tuscan china brand,they have some wonderful patterns.

Do you know that the ladies of south Korea particularly like the cloths with the crinoline lady embroidered upon them,have no idea why.They also like petit point candlesticks so if you have a set of those cherish them.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #167 on: October 23, 2011, 10:35:11 »
Now then......

Firstly does anyone know anything about "tea" cake? I ask because I've lost the recipe - all I can remember is that it had cups of things. 1 cup of cold tea, 1 cup of...  ???

Secondly does anyone like banana bread? This I do have the recipe for.  ;)

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #168 on: October 23, 2011, 10:38:37 »
Never hear of girls collecting for a bottam draw these days ???

Cups................just take what looks like a cup average size......not too small or too big..........now my nan did everything from her head and no measures.Great cakes.

Can't keep up with the thread now LOL

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #169 on: October 23, 2011, 10:44:49 »
Aden Roller : Mmmmm .... toasted tea cake and a pot of tea in John Lewis's tearoom after a serious day's shopping! Mind you that's all gone now - it's patisseries and many different versions of coffee now. But the short answer is, I don't have a recipe. Love to see your banana bread one though - although ideally with something oter than "cups"!!  >:( >:( ;)

Den : Thanks for that. I'm not a frequent baker so I like to get the measurements right. I imagine if you did it every day you wouldn't need them. My problem is measures like half a cup of butter!! I suppose it isn't rocket science! ::) ::)

Oh and I can't keep up either. I've done absolutely nothing today so I'm off to make myself useful. Walk dog, comb cat, weed - stuff like that. :) :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:46:47 by grawrc »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #170 on: October 23, 2011, 10:57:18 »
Yes, I had better get moving too  ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #171 on: October 23, 2011, 13:57:21 »
CUP OT TEA CAKE for Adenroller :)

1 cup of tea
1 cup of sugar
2 oz of butter
1 cup of fruit
2 cups of SR flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarb of soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix all ingredients except flour in a pan and bring to the boil. When cold stir in flour.
Put in greased and lined tin gas 4, 180 C for about an hour.

Recipe credit Glenys morgan

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #172 on: October 23, 2011, 19:57:44 »
Sorry, Anne, been mother in law sitting today, I think its 8 ozs to a cup, if you want metric, don't ask me, I'm still working in pounds, shillings and pence  ;D

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #173 on: October 23, 2011, 23:20:48 »
Lish that sounds wonderful ;DI particularly like the old Tuscan china brand,they have some wonderful patterns.

Do you know that the ladies of south Korea particularly like the cloths with the crinoline lady embroidered upon them,have no idea why.They also like petit point candlesticks so if you have a set of those cherish them.

I didn't know the Tuscan china brand, was a bit puzzled cos I only know the traditional Tuscan designs, and they're not china anyway, so did a search. See that it's a Staffs company and yes, that range is stunning - really vibrant colours.

Thise petit point candlesticks- got a pair! These are brassed (tho not brass I reckon), stand 2.1/2" tall, same dimension base diameter, v. pretty petit point. A charity shop bargain at £1.50 the pair some years ago  8)

I'm puzzled Bets- are there a lot of S. Korean ladies living your way?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #174 on: October 23, 2011, 23:29:38 »
Not that I know of but there are a lot on ebay LOL   ;D

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #175 on: October 23, 2011, 23:58:47 »
Right! Gotcha. Do you buy or sell - or both?

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #176 on: October 24, 2011, 00:01:18 »
I know people who sell them and I find it fascinating what people buy. :)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #177 on: October 24, 2011, 01:40:47 »
Antique shops amaze me... or rather the things in them do. My OH loves poking around in them.

Why people would want some of the old junk in their homes today when often it's the sort of thing we threw out years ago I don't know.

It's all the piddly dust-trap ornaments, piles of seen-better-days jewellery, bent cutlery as well as obsolete early electrical equipment.

I suppose if you want a collection of something or other it might be interesting.

"We" have a box of Torquay Ware somewhere or other collected over a few years until "we" decided it was in the way. Interesting I suppose but I'd sooner look at admire it and leave it for someone else to dust.  ::) ;D

Anyone an avid Antique hunter? Money in it if you know what you're doing I guess.  ;)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #178 on: October 24, 2011, 10:15:08 »
Sorry, Anne, been mother in law sitting today, I think its 8 ozs to a cup, if you want metric, don't ask me, I'm still working in pounds, shillings and pence  ;D

Thanks for that Mal! I'll give it a go. It's the possible discrepancy between volume and weight that perplexes me. e.g. two identical cups of flour can have different weights so if the recipe calls for 1 cup of flour, is it the cup that weighs 8 oz or the cup that weighs 10?

Anyway loads of people measure in cups so it must work. I just find it puzzling!  ::) ::)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #179 on: October 24, 2011, 10:24:56 »
Antique shops amaze me... or rather the things in them do. My OH loves poking around in them.

Why people would want some of the old junk in their homes today when often it's the sort of thing we threw out years ago I don't know.

"We" have a box of Torquay Ware somewhere or other collected over a few years until "we" decided it was in the way. Interesting I suppose but I'd sooner look at admire it and leave it for someone else to dust.  ::) ;D

Anyone an avid Antique hunter? Money in it if you know what you're doing I guess.  

I did a thinning down operation a few years back and got rid of loads of old china etc that I never use, just keeping the stuff I actually like. I still have several cupboards' worth though. And all my mother's jewellery. As one that doesn't wear a lot of jewellery I find it a bit of an embarrassment, but would find it hard "disposing" of it. I've offered stuff to daughters and nieces and so on but they barely dented the collection.

On a brighter note my son passed on his "legends of the 5 rings" card collection (a car boot's full) to one of his friends at the weekend, so that has freed up a bit of shelf space.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal