Author Topic: several veg growing terms that seem to confuse gardeners  (Read 47568 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: several veg growing terms that seem to confuse gardeners
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2011, 21:17:30 »
When I was a child Dinner was had at lunchtime.Tea was the main evening meal.

Imagine how confused I was when I went out into the big wide world...........but
everybody had school dinners :-\

Our local hotel does High tea,lovely delicate finger sarnies and cake........leaving no room for your tea LOL

I fear that your local hotel has it wrong.  High tea MUST include something hot, and indeed your (and my) childhood tea was "high tea".  Sarnies and cake, no matter how refined, constitute "afternoon tea".

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2011, 21:35:27 »
Well I have not long had me tea,or was it dinner but with all this talk of food I now want my supper........in our house supper is never sweet.....normally a sarnie........

pumkinlover

« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2011, 21:38:50 »
My OH makes marmite on toast for supper when peckish, always gives me a little nibble :-*

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2011, 21:42:44 »
When I was a child the word supper did not exist .Just me mum asking  are you still hungry?

My Mum was big on food...still is LOL

She is never happier than when she is pushing food into her chicks beaks  ;D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2011, 22:20:58 »
My OH makes marmite on toast for supper when peckish, always gives me a little nibble :-*
Whenever I hear marmite on toast the picture that pops into my mind is of a young ground squirrel on toast.
(marmot). Not quite what you're talking about ;D I have yet to taste marmite but its appearance isn't drawing me closer.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

pumkinlover

« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2011, 22:40:47 »
Just had a nibble of marmot on toast!! ???

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2011, 22:53:45 »
Marmite..........

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2011, 22:59:13 »
Marmite..........
;D ;D ;D
Me too GL!! Yuckityyuckyuckyuck!!!!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2011, 23:30:55 »
Haha I am enjoying this thread. It has been well and truly hi-jacked in a manner that fits in with the title but not the original intent. It is now much more interesting - and the OP has gone quiet! ;)

Couldn't agree more having just fallen stumbled in.  It's wonderful on this site not to be told off for going off topic and also to find people who think like me. Divergent but simply brilliant (and modest of course  :D

(By the way I love Swede mashed with carrots and grilled to finish off. ) ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 23:33:03 by Aden Roller »

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2011, 23:32:41 »
This thread has become quite educational.  It is interesting that there is not only a different between English from one side of the Atlantic to another, but there are regional differences within both countries.  Even within families particular words or phrases are popular, does any one else use emberblopes.  I first ate courgettes in California so for many years I still called them Zucchini.  I had children who came to tea and were served Zucchini or Banana squash (yellow courgettes) who refused point blank to eat courgettes at home.  

I find it interesting that English has changed very little over the past 400 years in comparison to the changes in language in the previous 400.  

There seems to be more differences n language between myself and plainleaf than between myself and every other American I have conversed with.    

I used to love listening to Geoffrey Smith's lovely Yorkshire turn of phrase.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2011, 23:36:16 »
Is this a private hi-jack, or can anyone join in?

;D  ;D  ;D Loving it!!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2011, 23:43:08 »
Is this a private hi-jack, or can anyone join in?
Trevor you're always welcome, but, as we they say in Edinburgh, you'll have had your tea?   ;D ;D :P

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2011, 23:57:28 »
Marmite..........

It's one of those things - you either love it or you hate it.

I love it - good when cooking too.  ;)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2011, 00:11:39 »
This thread has become quite educational.  

I find it interesting that English has changed very little over the past 400 years in comparison to the changes in language in the previous 400.    

I think you will find that changes in language correlate quite strongly with invasions - whether e.g. by war, immigration or indeed the internet.

English has always been a bit of a sponge, soaking up influences as they present, unlike e.g. French with its académie dictating what is allowed or German where the importation of foreign words was frowned on for many years.

American English has different influences. Interestingly most European schoolchildren (other than in the UK) get the opportunity to learn 2 or more foreign languages. In North America this is not seen as such a priority although Spanish is well established in the USA and French in some parts of Canada (for obvious reasons).

There seems to be more differences n language between myself and plainleaf than between myself and every other American I have conversed with.    
I think conversations online are inevitably and intrinsically more "difficult" than face-to-face conversations since so many of the non-linguistic cues which we need for comprehension are missing. Also some of us are better than others at putting our thoughts down "on paper" grammatically and properly spelt. I don't think any of us have mastered that yet!!

And thank you to Plainleaf for starting this thread, which has been fun and wide-ranging. Also for putting up with the number of off-topic (albeit interesting) posts!!

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2011, 00:36:37 »
in usa we shoot marmot oops those are  those varmints.

squash is also something you step on.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #115 on: October 21, 2011, 07:37:49 »
I'm just finishing a slice... having made some for OH for breakfast before she goes out to work...  :P

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2011, 08:38:50 »
Code: [Select]
"My OH makes marmite on toast for supper when peckish, always gives me a little nibble"

"I'm just finishing a slice... having made some for OH for breakfast before she goes out to work... "
Gosh..you lot know how to punish you OHs..if you wipe their mouths as well afterwards, it don't leave any evidence that some domestic violence has taken place.. or is it attempted poisoning... ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 09:02:03 by goodlife »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2011, 08:53:17 »
So to recap........yes I remember the parlour.......to be treated like church :)

Salad always with my dinner or tea never as a starter but maybe on a sarnie

Never had high tea or afternoon tea.Just tea.

Yes I love Marmite.

It may interest you to know that I work in an Antique Centre and there is a big revival in Cake plates,stands and bone china tea sets.The sort Granny had in he display cabinet in the parlour.................

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2011, 09:08:54 »
Code: [Select]
there is a big revival in Cake plates,stands and bone china tea sets. Yes..I've noticed that in shops with new stuff too...lot of lookalikes from the times gone by. All the retro and oldie world stuff is everywhere. I love to see them but I've never tempted to buy..they just end up standing in cupboard unused.. ::)
Hmm..I think I should rewrite that to be truthfull... :-X I've got that sort of 'stuff' enough.. ::)..and I'm still feeling tempted for some more, different kind of styles..but I've got no where to put anymore.. ::) ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2011, 09:35:24 »
Betula how do you cope working in an antique shop?
when I worked in a cactus nursery I could spend most of my wages there ;D

(Just had marmite on toast :D)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal