Author Topic: NAME JUST ONE VEG YOU HAVE DECIDED NOT TO GROW NEXT YEAR AND WHY!  (Read 14871 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: NAME JUST ONE VEG YOU HAVE DECIDED NOT TO GROW NEXT YEAR AND WHY!
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2011, 13:08:13 »
Thank you for the ideas. I'll try both those methods next year. :)
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2011, 14:29:47 »
My dad always sows the seeds and pours boiling water over them, and has done for years and hasn't failed him yet. I tried it this year and it worked a treat I have masses of parsely. :)

I always sow in the propagator with the tomato seeds.  They like a bit of warmth and come up fast.  But in early September I thought I'd start a late batch to overwinter direct sown into the garden and those haven't appeared yet.  I think they need 'something' extra to break dormancy and germinate.  Should have known about the hot kettle a month ago   ;D  thanks Gadget

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2011, 18:29:32 »
I wouldn't bother with butternut squash either; it takes too long to set fruit. I nearly said I wouldn't grow Chinese artichokes again, but I was digging today where I had them last year, and found some good sized (for CA) roots. So maybe they aren't quite such a dead loss after all.

anemone

• Half Acre
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2011, 18:57:57 »

Patty Pan squashes - rather tasteless and a rubbery texture, or maybe I'm just not cooking them properly.

The green ones I grew this year were not worth eating. I've grown yellow ones before and they were much nicer.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2011, 08:36:00 »
My dad always sows the seeds and pours boiling water over them, and has done for years and hasn't failed him yet. I tried it this year and it worked a treat I have masses of parsely. :)

Do I have to plant the seeds and then go along the row with a kettle?   I will have to take a flask  to the lottie, but it is worth a try. 

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2011, 16:59:26 »
My dad always sows the seeds and pours boiling water over them, and has done for years and hasn't failed him yet. I tried it this year and it worked a treat I have masses of parsley. :)

Do I have to plant the seeds and then go along the row with a kettle?   I will have to take a flask  to the lottie, but it is worth a try. 

My father also maintains you should put boiling water over the seed. I grew a few pots full but, as far as I can remember, I poured the hot water on the soil and then sowed the seed.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2011, 17:20:50 »
Thanks for reply.  A flask it is.   I might try 1/2 and1/2.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2011, 17:22:37 »
Thanks for reply.  A flask it is.   I might try 1/2 and1/2.

Good luck!  ;)

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2011, 17:43:32 »

Well, I won't be growing alliums, not through choice.  .   :(.  .  got white rot on the patch.   Anyone got an idea what to do now?     Cheers,     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2011, 18:19:47 »
Sweet potatoes  :-\

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2011, 19:18:59 »
I won't be trying to grow in straw bales again, if that is relevant to the topic. It was not a disaster, and I have had quite a lot of courgettes and a nice pile of winter squashes from them.

But it was hard work keeping them watered and fertilised, and the harvest should have been bigger from about 24 plants.

Nevertheless, Phase B has started: thick newspaper spread over the ground beside the 12 bales - rotting straw dragged out of the bales and spread deeply across the whole area - buckets and sacks of own compost spread over the lot with more to come - and I now have a large new "no-dig" bed that I will keep filling up with compost over the winter, and use in the spring as a courgette and squash area again.

I am very pleased with the way the weeds have been suppressed and killed by the original newpaper, tarpaulin and the twelve bales.

I am also giving up on butternut squash and sweet potato.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2011, 20:47:34 »
Potatoes maybe...tired of slug holes. I'll probably change my mind and plant some earlies.

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2011, 21:17:22 »

Well, I won't be growing alliums, not through choice.  .   :(.  .  got white rot on the patch.   Anyone got an idea what to do now?     Cheers,     Tony.

Try watering affected areas with garlic water (powder or fresh garlic not sure about ratio) leave for this year. Should cause the white rot spores to 'germinate' and then starve  ;D when they can't find any alliums. Repeat aplications may be needed.
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2011, 23:29:41 »
I obviously had beginners luck with Aubergines. I had heaps of them...and won first prize in our show with a matching pair....not my two huge ones though when I picked them one had a hole eaten in the back >:(

boydzfish

• Half Acre
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2011, 21:47:30 »
Sweetcorn. Second year and they got blown over again. Planted about 12 and got 2 cobs. seeds cost a couple of quid if I recall so a Pound each :( There is a place on my way home from work that sells cobs for 25p so there is 8 for the same price - definite no brainer!! ::)
Boydzfish

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2011, 21:50:16 »
I obviously had beginners luck with Aubergines. I had heaps of them...and won first prize in our show with a matching pair....not my two huge ones though when I picked them one had a hole eaten in the back >:(
Great!  You'll please give us all a clue how you did it? and which variety?
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

TheEssexYorkshireman

• Half Acre
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2011, 12:56:35 »
Brussel sprouts - ruined by white fly again!

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2011, 19:57:40 »
Strangely my veg is a fruit. Blackcurrants were eaten by the pigeons and now one has big bud so  I'll grub them out and give them a miss for a while. Pity but too difficult without a proper fruit cage. Funny enough the[autumn] rasps were left alone.....  ::)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2011, 23:00:36 »
Brussel sprouts - ruined by white fly again!

I grew brussel sprouts just the once. Marble sized, full of fly and they took so long to tell me they couldn't be bothered (or, more like, I'd got it wrong  ::)). Purple sprouting broccoli is my favourite replacement.  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2011, 21:57:48 »
Strangely my veg is a fruit. Blackcurrants were eaten by the pigeons and now one has big bud so  I'll grub them out and give them a miss for a while. Pity but too difficult without a proper fruit cage. Funny enough the[autumn] rasps were left alone.....  ::)

Pigeons love currants, you have to net them. You can pick off the big buds and burn them if it's only a light infestation; if it's bad, cut the lot down to ground level and burn it all.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal