Author Topic: Rooster potatoes  (Read 3606 times)

pansy potter

• Half Acre
Rooster potatoes
« on: September 27, 2011, 14:08:24 »
Bad news. We have just tried rooster potatoes for the first time and found them taste less, will never grow them again.
Good news ..We have a b****y sack and a half of them.  :'(
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stevens706

• Acre
Re: Rooster potatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 15:30:23 »
I have decided not to grow Rooster next year, grown next to Desiree and dug up at the same time, seems to be a magnet for wireworm and slugs where Desiree only had slight damage. Haven't eaten any yet.

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 15:47:51 »
Thing is that ours were all sound, not a slug in site. Just have to ask around and see if anyone likes them.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 15:55:23 »
Could you tart them up a bit PP a bit of chili, rosemary etc when roasting them.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 16:52:55 »
Horseradish in mash.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 16:56:09 »
Now you're talking, celeriac too.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 17:08:03 »
It's funny how tastes differ.  I'd go for Rooster's eating qualities over any other variety of maincrop potatoes any day.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 17:15:38 »
OH don't waste them..!..even bland potatoes taste nice when mashed with bit of cream and nob of butter.. ;)
..and ..potato and leek soup...
Use them up with something flavoursome..potato and squash mash..YUM..
How about roughly mashed potatoes fried with bacon and kale.. :P
Par boiled potato slices layed into caserole dish with garlic and cream.. :P..maybe bits of smoked samon in there too.. :P
 ;D You won't even notice they were bland.. ;D
You could try to do diet versions of course..but then everything taste bland.. ::)

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 17:18:04 »

I think that Nadine has spoiled us. I know that its a second early butit is so good and it stores very well.
If I cannot find anyone to take them off me hands then I will have to resort tarting them up

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 17:47:26 »
This is one of our favourite recipes which would nicely disguise bland or mushy potatoes. It's a soup of onions, garlic, chorizo, potatoes and kale.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3438/kale-and-chorizo-broth

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 18:21:03 »
Thanks for all of your advice. I reckon they would make a good thickener for soups and I will try all of the other things mentioned. I am going to try some strong cheese in the mash tomorrow.

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 18:33:21 »

I'm amazed no-one has suggested Jerusalem artichokes in the mashed spuds ! ! ! :o      ::)      ;D      Cheers,     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 18:39:29 »
You have got to be joking. I just want them to be more palatable not to be blown away by them  ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 19:00:56 »
 ;D ;D ;D.

pumkinlover

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 19:59:34 »
I love jerusalem artichokes mashed in the spuds, but I have been banned from even growing them :-[
Like parsnip and tatter mash too later on in the year :D

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 20:01:46 »
Im growing jerusalem artichokes for the first time so will try them mashed with spuds but are they really that bad for giving you wind? :o

I usually only grow special spuds that cost loads in the shops like Charlotte & Pink Fir Apples. I did all the things you arent supposed to this year & had fabulous very tasty crops of both. I planted them using a bulb planter (didnt dig or rotovate first), put comfrey leaves in the holes then spud on top. I earthed up with grass cuttings & watered often when we had the very dry weeks. I left them in the soil far longer than advised & didnt get any slug damage. Wierd. My soil is very heavy clay so I wonder if the slugs just couldnt get to them as I hadnt made the soil soft around them. Who knows but I will be using this 'mad' method next year too ;D
x jane
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 20:06:54 by Crystalmoon »

pumkinlover

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 20:10:51 »
Im growing jerusalem artichokes for the first time so will try them mashed with spuds but are they really that bad for giving you wind? :o

I usually only grow special spuds that cost loads in the shops like Charlotte & Pink Fir Apples. I did all the things you arent supposed to this year & had fabulous very tasty crops of both. I planted them using a bulb planter (didnt dig or rotovate first), put comfrey leaves in the holes then spud on top. I earthed up with grass cuttings & watered often when we had the very dry weeks. I left them in the soil far longer than advised & didnt get any slug damage. Wierd. My soil is very heavy clay so I wonder if the slugs just couldnt get to them as I hadnt made the soil soft around them. Who knows but I will be using this 'mad' method next year too ;D
x jane

Point 1. YES but soaking in water first helps - but not a lot ;D
Pont 2. Your method is virtually the same as mine- I bought a long handled bulb planter for the spud planting and it is brill :D

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 20:27:04 »
Hi pumpkinlover so good to hear Im not the only person who does it this way....the old timers at my tiny lotty site really think Im barmy, they are constantly rotovating & dig huge trenches for spuds, seems such alot of work especially when so many seem to be got at by slugs ::)
I will try soaking the JA before cooking....I wonder if there are any herbs that can be cooked with them that would help stop the wind? x jane

pumkinlover

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 20:33:34 »
pepermint oil ;) ;) ;)
now I seem to remember sage, parsley and asafoetida all ring a bell as supposed to help with that particular problem ;D

Oops just realised this thread is supposed to be about potatoes- sort of drifted a bit :-[
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 20:38:13 by pumpkinlover »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 09:23:47 »
;D ;D ;D.
Savoury is supposed to stop the wind from beans?
potato and sweet potato mash is good, less starch, too. make potato cakes with some, pansy, good to freeze, stick 'em on fish pie with a cheese topping, chop 'em up with lots of herbs and roast, any spud tastes nice like that  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal