Author Topic: Rooster potatoes  (Read 3626 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Rooster potatoes
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 10:54:24 »
Im growing jerusalem artichokes for the first time so will try them mashed with spuds but are they really that bad for giving you wind? :o

It varies from one person to another.  If beans give you wind, then jerusalem artichokes (and even more so chinese artichokes) are likely to embarrass you. It's caused by a carbohydrate called inulin which is difficult to digest.

Since we are off topic, I feel that I can recount a story told to me by my brother.  Some years ago he was working in France for a British engineering company.  Every three months, the technical director would pay them a visit, and they'd all go out to lunch.  But the technical director was an old-fashioned guy from the Black Country, who rejected any food that smacked of "foreign muck".  A VERY well cooked steak and frites was about as adventurous as he got.

Eventually he announced his retirement, and he came over to Paris for the last time.  The head of the French bureau told him that they'd arranged a celebratory lunch, where for once he could eat French food.  But not to worry, they'd chosen things that they knew that he'd like.  And absolutely no "blood" in the meat.

Well, he thoroughly enjoyed the huge bowl of jerusalem artichoke soup that was placed in front of him, and even allowed himself to be persuaded to a modest extra ladleful.  Main course was lamb (grieviously overcooked just as he would like it) accompanied by copious amounts of most delicious flageolet beans.

Poor chap.  He didn't get as far as pudding.  The flash to bang time was so short and the result so awful that the restaurant kindly found him a chair so that he could sit outside in the street.

Allotment-junkie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 12:10:24 »
Not laughed so much for weeks  ;D ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 14:27:06 »
Jerusalem artichokes ..so nice but so lethal.. ;D

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 14:45:44 »
 ;D ;D ;D
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 15:42:10 »
A while ago on here I asked if they were as bad as lentils, to which Goodlife informed me that lentils were a pebble dropped in the ocean whereas artichokes were like a tsunami.

pumkinlover

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 16:32:28 »
A while ago on here I asked if they were as bad as lentils, to which Goodlife informed me that lentils were a pebble dropped in the ocean whereas artichokes were like a tsunami.

;D ;D ;D

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 19:42:01 »
OH don't waste them..!..

Par boiled potato slices layed into caserole dish with garlic and cream.. :P..maybe bits of smoked samon in there too.. :P

Add some onions and cracked black peppercorns  to that recipe... !! delicious
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 16:06:27 »
Thanks so much for the tips about the herbs to try with the windy artichokes. x jane

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal