Produce > Ponds 'n' Stuff

My pond is leaking...

<< < (2/2)

Aden Roller:

--- Quote from: Nomspatch on April 17, 2013, 17:11:25 ---You have probably sorted this by now but...
I notice your pond is 'baby bath sized'..have you thought of a black plastic dustbin?
Sink it into the ground 2'3rds and fill with water liliy some air producing weedand a few fish (fair sized goldies are a good start...have it near the house and in a shady spot so it doesn't overheat...if the weather is really bad in winter you can use an aquarium heater to warm it (or a demijohn with hot water in) and if the fish are gasping at the surface in hot weather you can drop an aquarium air supply in....they make excellent little ponds and can even be safely lagged (above ground) and the lid put on to stop snow  (take off asap after though)

--- End quote ---

That's a nice idea but I'd hunt for an old plastic cold water storage tank. The shape would give a wider, more open surface area and be pretty deep.... even an old plastic bath. (Cast iron ones are so heavy I'd avoid them)

star:
I should have posted to say we did it last year. We got a preformed one, which is about the same size as the old liner. I saved the sludge and some water. it looks like its been there forever and frog spawn as well :icon_cheers:. At least we won't have to worry again for a few years about another leak :toothy10:

:wave:

Aden Roller:

--- Quote from: star on April 18, 2013, 16:34:41 ---I should have posted to say we did it last year. We got a preformed one, which is about the same size as the old liner. I saved the sludge and some water. it looks like its been there forever and frog spawn as well :icon_cheers:. At least we won't have to worry again for a few years about another leak :toothy10:

:wave:

--- End quote ---

Good for you. I hope you enjoy your new pond.

I never purposely save "sludge" but do leave it to settle in a large tin bath so anything living in the bottom has a chance to clamber up and out before the sludge is drained and added to the compost heap. It's hard to get it all out of the pond when we I clean the pond out - not an annual or even biannual job but it needs to be done every once in a while.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version