Author Topic: Thanks to Jeannine we have pickled gherkins  (Read 2316 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Thanks to Jeannine we have pickled gherkins
« on: August 27, 2011, 16:26:44 »
On an earlier thread about home preserving, Jeannine recommended a book called "Putting Food By".  So I ordered a copy.

We'd not attempted to pickle gherkins before, but since we'd grown some, and the book contained a nice simple recipe, we thought we'd give it a go.

Wild success!  If anyone wants to give it a try, here's the recipe, adapted for British and European measurements:

“Little Cucumber Crock Pickles”

For about a kilo/a couple of pounds of gherkins:
A litre/a couple of pints of cider vinegar (normal 5% strength)
One and a half tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons whole mustard seed
3 tablespoons salt to start off with (pure pickling salt, NOT table salt. We use sea salt). You’ll need to add more later.
Some fresh dill, to taste (optional)

Thoroughly clean a suitable bowl. Any residue of fat or milk will spoil the pickles. In the bowl dissolve the sugar and salt in the vinegar. Add the mustard seeds and the dill.

Rub the blossom end off the gherkins and wash them well. Put them into the brine and place a plate on top of them to make sure that they stay submerged. Cover the bowl and keep it in the fridge (or any cool place between 4C and 10C).

If you’re harvesting the gherkins as opposed to buying them all at once, push the freshly harvested ones to the bottom of the bowl so that the first ones in are also the frst ones out.

If a natural mould forms as a skin on the top of the liquid, simply skim it off.

After 3 days add another 3 tablespoons of salt, by sprinkling it over the plate covering the gherkins, so that it dissolves slowly. Do the same a week later, and repeat if necessary until the pickles are ready. They’re ready when they’re evenly clear when sliced. We found this took only a couple of weeks, but it’ll depend on the size and density of the fruits.

Pictures and a bit more of a story here: http://johnnorman.wordpress.com/2011/08/27/amora-nest-plus-mon-amour/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Thanks to Jeannine we have pickled gherkins
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 17:51:05 »
Clever you and you did the brine cure ones too..well done , the recipe always sounds a bit intimidating but it s easy really and makes a great pickle..XX

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 19:10:43 »
I found this Turkish girls cooking website last year,and being a Gherkin lover she has a recipe called
..."Tursu" which I am lead to believe is a National Turkish pastime that is used for all manner of
veggies.

So far I have only used it on Gherkins according to the recipe link and have enjoyed the flavour
although this year I have just made some jars of Gherkins but added more sugar to 1 just to see how it differs.

http://www.turkishfoodandrecipes.com/2008/12/pickle-tursu.html

Incidently if and when your in your local Kebab house and ask about the green chillies they include
when I ask them they always say the variety is "Tursu",but infact that is the brine method
so I think my questions lost in translation.

There are many sweet recipes on there too that are yummy. !!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy

Gazza

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 07:08:23 »
Do you think this recipe would work for ordinary sliced cucumbers?

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 11:49:15 »
Being from a German desent background I was brought up to munch me way thru gord knows how many
types of Gherkins ..whole ..sliced...and quartered Alex133, but the last style is my fav.

Ive quartered these ones,and having read a tip elsewhere about "wet brining" for 24 hours
I do that prior to jarring....it does make them slightly more crisp.

This jar also has some plot grown chillies and sliced Ginger as I do luv to experiment.

All good fun.!!!!!!!!!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal