Author Topic: Annoying Flies  (Read 1691 times)

boydzfish

• Half Acre
Annoying Flies
« on: August 22, 2011, 21:40:53 »
I seem to have an infestation of small black flies which seem to just rest on my raspberries but which I think are really attracted to some adjacent sweet peas. There are literally hundreds of them which take off when disturbed but settle very quickly. I don't think they are eating anything vital but every time I pick rasps I get a face full of the things!! I have tried a couple of half hearted squirts with the old rhubarb leaf brew but they are still there. I have a row of broad beans about to flower and so I hope they are not waiting with knives and forks for them.  ???
Boydzfish

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Annoying Flies
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 22:35:30 »
Sound like pollen beetles to me... are they beetles... thunderbugs/fruitflies rarely hang around sweetpeas... but none of them are a threat to your B Beans..  :)

boydzfish

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 21:48:39 »
If the difference between a beetle and a fly is that a beetle has encased wings and a fly hasn't (If I recall my biology at school!!) then these are flies. In fact I managed to catch one tonight and will take a good look at it for any identifying features. They move quite fast and I always thought that was the sign of a predator, or is that just in the ground?
Boydzfish

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 21:54:24 »
It's still a good rule of thumb...
probably thunderbugs... don't know their proper name has it been warm and humid recently?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 20:00:46 »
If they have a single pair of wings sticking out they're flies. Beetles have folding wings which go under hardened wingcases which are actually modified forewings.

boydzfish

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 22:45:36 »
Isn't the Internet a wonderful place? I think I have identified these insects and it appears they are dung flies!! Apparently, apart from dung of course, they swarm round flowers to get a carbohydrate 'fix', who'd have thought? :o
Boydzfish

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 20:53:56 »
Ooh....dung for din-dins and nectar for pud.........nice  :-\
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal