Author Topic: Red spider mite control  (Read 2611 times)

John85

• Quarter Acre
Red spider mite control
« on: August 24, 2011, 13:24:42 »
As bifenthrin has been forbidden do you use abamectin(=vertimec) or something more "softer"?
Has somebody tried fermented bracken liquid?How effective is it?
Any other suggestion?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Red spider mite control
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 05:56:11 »
Westland Plant Rescue Bug Killer has abamectin and also thiamethoxam as active ingredients for mite control, so this would do the job.
You could also try the predatory mites that feed on red spider mite. There's one called Red Spider Mite: Control with Phytoseiulus, but I haven't used it. Theres also a link here: http://www.greengardener.co.uk/product.asp?id_pc=4&cat=12&id_product=191
Havent tried fermented bracken fluid.
If you want to try some concoctions, theres some info here, but it doesn't say bracken is effective against mites, it does say that garlic, english ivy  and stinging nettle are. I haven't tried these. It doesn't say rhubarb is effective, but I know folk who swear by it for mite control.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 06:07:50 by jennym »

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 07:04:39 »
Good morning,

Is the spider mite in a greenhouse, if so a friend of mine uses show thing from the hydroponics shop. he says that it fumigates the the greenhouse and the plants at the same time. The cannabis growers use it apparently ?

Might be worth a call to the local hydroponics shop.

Digmore.

John85

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 18:22:57 »
Is it possible to have some more information about the rhubarb concoction(time of fermentation,quantity,concentration) please?

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 20:31:35 »
Not had spider mite this year, I use Savona when I get them.

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/product/Spider_Mite/GPC-141.htm

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 20:34:43 »
I have been plagued by RSM in the past, I found just keeping the humidity high and spraying the undersides of the plants with plain water.....up to 3 times daily if poss....helps a great deal.

I have even dunked plants head first into a bucket of water, (depends on the size of yer plants mind ;D) you can add a few drops of washing up liquid to combat the surface tension of the leaves.

I have found this works a treat for me, Im not keen on chemicals.... ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal