Author Topic: Caution! Aldi Blueberry bushes not for human consumption!  (Read 19062 times)

knottygal

• Not So New ...
Caution! Aldi Blueberry bushes not for human consumption!
« on: August 05, 2011, 19:55:10 »
Just popped into my local Aldi on my way home from the lottie after seeing the thread on here about the £1.99 fruit bushes. I have been after some blueberry bushes for a while and was pleased to find they had some lovely healthy specimens.
I was going through the till when the cashier asked if I knew that they were ornamental and not for human consumption :o
'What do you mean?' I asked, 'They are blueberry bushes...' She pulled the card out of the packaging and pointed out the warning on the reverse of the card, saying she had bought some herself before she realized.
The picture on the card is clearly blueberries, it is labelled as such and was under a 'fruit bushes £1.99' sign with the rasps, goosegogs, tayberries, blackberries and gojis... ???
Needless to say I didn't buy them, thats a bit dodgy if you ask me, just thought I'd give you a heads up  ::)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Re: Caution! Aldi Blueberry bushes not for human consumption!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 20:00:02 »
Ive bought one!

knottygal

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 20:02:55 »
No I didn't, she asked if I still wanted them after she warned me and I said no! Has anyone else bought one?

knottygal

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 20:04:44 »
Do you still have your labelling Phil - she pointed it out to me but I didn't have me specs on! Tbh I wouldn't have noticed the warning, I rarely read labels (I'm a bit daring like that  :P ) and the pic is clearly blueberries  >:( Take it back and demand a refund!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 20:10:29 by knottygal »

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 20:05:54 »
I had to modify mine from u to i

knottygal

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 20:09:03 »
 ;D ;D Lol, I gathered, thought it was me having a blonde moment...again  :-*

carlby

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 21:06:07 »
 ???

Thanks for that.  I bought 11 plants yesterday, including blueberries, tayberries, logan berries, red gooseberries and a fig tree.  They all state "not fit for human consumption".  How odd, surely a mistake.  I'm going to contact aldi head office and see what they say.
Newby to allotmenteering, along with my husband and toddler daughter.  Interested in forest gardening (harness my laziness!).

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 21:07:03 »
Me to

knottygal

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 21:15:33 »
...If it's on ALL the fruit bush labelling then and not just the blueberries, do you think it means THE ACTUAL PLANT then, ie as in the stems and leaves...  ::) and not the fruit itself, it's a bit ambiguous - surely Aldi can't think we're all that stupid?!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 21:17:55 by knottygal »

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 21:25:29 »

just been to the greenhouse as i bought a tayberry. The label says plant not suitable for human consumtion........but you don't eat the plant. So the blueberry will be ok just don't eat the plant  ;D

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 21:28:49 »
Sh!t, must check the labels on me parsnips.

They were Aldi too......... ::)
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 21:30:10 »
surely Aldi can't think we're all that stupid?!

Ahem. Yes.

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 21:38:47 »
eck just starting to read this thread as i bought 2 blue berries so its been decided its the plants that not edible    but the Berry's from it will be OK

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 21:41:44 »
A lot of labels on aldi and lidls plants can only be described as being.......LOST IN TRANSLATION!! ??? I bought a Bramley apple tree from lidls and it is nothing like a Bramley because it's a pear :o

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

diggerrick

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 21:42:09 »
all this fuss over blueberry? what about gujiberry? just googled it and the benefits of the Berry's are fantastic ! i think we could all live to at least 100 :o :o :o
keep digging

knottygal

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 21:49:44 »
Gave up on my 3 Goji berries diggerick, 6 years and not a sign of a berry, what a waste of space they were...

diggerrick

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 22:01:36 »
Gave up on my 3 Goji berries diggerick, 6 years and not a sign of a berry, what a waste of space they were...
gutted just brought one, ill do my best to get some fruit, be lucky to reach retirement  :'(
keep digging

knottygal

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 22:16:43 »
Don't be gutted diggerrick, it might be me, haven't mananaged to grow a decent beetroot all this time either and they are one of me faves :'( I trade my cukes for beetroots with a lottie neighbour...

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 00:56:11 »
I would say 'lost in translation'  is a fair  assumption but!!

According to the enclosed literature the  products have been produced in ' Warickshire'  for Aldi of co.Kildare in Ireland and as far as I am aware the locals in these areas speak English!

Personally I would say that the regulatory (COSH) rules they have to supply refer to what is being sold not what will eventually be produced.

The wife bought three plants today, and I liked what I saw so I am planning buying some more plants tomorrow(Sat) so I will ask the question, and see what they have to say at our local store.

Perhaps the shop assistant at my local store will have more gardening knowhow than yours did.

Will get back to you all with the reply

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 07:13:25 »
Don't be gutted diggerrick, it might be me, haven't mananaged to grow a decent beetroot all this time either and they are one of me faves :'( I trade my cukes for beetroots with a lottie neighbour...

And I've got more beetroots than I know what to do with.....it's getting silly now...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal