Author Topic: Welsh...tree....bunching...etc onions...relative advantages/taste and uses  (Read 4071 times)

Hector

• Hectare
I have been reading up on the different onions. I'd like onions for cooking like regular onions but was too late planting. Do any of the above taste like regular onions for cooking in stews / stirfries?

I know some bulb and don't bulb...does that effect flavour? I've seen Welsh Onions on ebay and some say Welsh but have red stems...do these taste the same?
Jackie

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
There a few on here that grow the bunching onion i call them russian onion cos that is exactly what they do rush all over your garden i am convinced they are a weed and virtualy indistructable, but i would not be without them.
Nice strong hot flavor and grow to shallot size if you keep them thined out, you dig up a bunch take off what you want and put the rest back to grow on. when thining them out they split into natural bunches. They also fill the gap between the end of shallots till the main crop onions are ready and there is no need to plant spring onions.
I think they are worth having, i will put some photos on tonight.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Hector

• Hectare
Many Thanks for this :)
Jackie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
look up potato onions on the net, I am growing these this year in the fall.XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Hector

• Hectare
They sound interesting and what a fantastic name :) Are they native to your part of the world :)
Jackie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
No, and they are available over there. There is a seller on e bay..I think his name is Craven.
 I am planting  these and three types os walking onions thiis year, from a company called Heritage Harvest, I don;t think they will sell to the UK but it is worth reading what they sell so see the various types.

If yoiu can't find them I will find a link

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Hector

• Hectare
Snap...had googled and found that seller :) He hasn't any for sale at moment but have emailed him :) Thanks for this. He has different types of walking onons too...so will google them as well :) I'd never heard of potato onions before.
Jackie

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Welsh bunching onion

when allowed to grow continuous and not thinned out

When they are thinned out into bunches

When pulled
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Hector

• Hectare
Thanks Davyw1 for taking the time to post these pics. I'm going to invest in them. We eat lots of stews and stir-fries, so onions are a big part of our diet :)
Jackie

irridium

• Acre
i got given a couple of Tree Onions (supposedly) sets (that were already shooted) last March and I've been nurturing them for a while now, but now they're flowering with a ball of white flowers not unlike Welsh Onions. So I am a bit confused as I thought they'd be growing with their scapes all twisting and curling before they'll droop to the ground. as it's their first yr, I presume they might need another yr to establish themselves before they get to that stage. can anyone advise here? ??? ???
thanks

Hector

• Hectare
Irridium, I'm clueless but I'm sure someone else here will know :)

Jeannine, the supplier you mentioned is sorting me out with some red and white potato onions. Thank you :) I'm going to get some Babbington leeks too...then have some perrenial winter veg 
Jackie

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Does he have Babbington Leeks?.. A couple of months ago I contaced him and he agreed to mail to me. I didn,t follow up it up though, he wasn't advertising Babbingtons then. I thought his postage to canada was very high at the time.

XX Jeannine

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Irridium, you may still have a Tree onion. Although they normally produce clusters of small bulbils on flower stalks, they can produce flowers for seed or both. This often follows a stress. Here's a picture of one of mine from last year doing both.
[attachment=1]
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Jayb, in the bottom of my fridge I have some tree onions and some potato onions that came a few weeks ago. I sent an order to a company here, they sent me some and the others were back ordered till the fall. I have not done anything with them as I imagined they maybe should be fall planted, should I put them in the ground do you think?

XX Jeannine

Hector

• Hectare
Does he have Babbington Leeks?..
XX Jeannine

No, unfortunately he doesn't. Another nursery has them but postage steep even in UK...so checking if I can get elsewhere or seed. I'll let you know if I get a source.
Jackie
Jackie

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
I think it is a little early for them to be this years harvest. My tree onions aren't ready yet but they do seem to do best if planted straight away. Perhaps not a crop this year but they will be good and strong for next year.

Potato onions can be autumn or spring planted, although I seem to favour spring planting for me. Your call, if your bulbs are hard and heavy for their size it won't be long until you can get them in the ground. If they are softning perhaps more prudent to plant now, I'm not sure of your frost dates but I think they would be after ours so you have a good chance of havesting a small crop. I just went and checked the few I've not eaten and they are a little soft.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Well they took an order from me..but theyt may cancel it when they realise it is to canada,

XX Jeannine

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Jeannine what have your ordered - plants or seeds?  If you have any probs and you have ordered seeds I am going to Toronto in September (would have been this month except for eye problem).  Could forward fromt here

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal