Author Topic: Which herb to use?  (Read 2039 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Which herb to use?
« on: May 15, 2011, 16:06:40 »
Does anyone know of a good list of which herbs to use with which meat, veg etc? I started googling, but found most of the lists start from the herb rather than the main ingredient and I'd find it more useful the other way around.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: Which herb to use?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 16:11:45 »
here's a couple of lists

A Selection of Herbs to Use in Various Dishes
MEATS
Poultry: Sage, sweet marjoram, summer savory, thyme, and tarragon.
Veal: Same as poultry with possible addition of rosemary.
Pork:  Rosemary, anise, sage, chives, basil, and sweet marjoram.
Beef: Summer savory, thyme, coriander, sweet marjoram, and basil.
Lamb: Garlic, rosemary, dill, mint, and summer savory.
Fish: Parsley and chives (as garnish); also fennel, chervil, basil, thyme, saffron, and sweet marjoram.

Herbs which go well with what meat dishes.

Beef - Basil, Bay leaf, Caraway, Chervil, Lovage seed, Cumin, Garlic Fenugreek, Ginger, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Sage, Savory, Tarragon, Thyme and Peppermint.

Lamb - Basil, Bay leaf, Cinnamon, Coriander, Cumin, Chervil, Dill, Garlic, Ginger, Lemon Balm, Lovage seed, Marjoram, Mint, Parsley, Saffron, Rosemary, Sage, Tarragon, Thyme and Savory.

Ham - Lovage, Marjoram, Mint, Mustard, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary and Savory.

Pork - Anise, Caraway, Cardamom, Coriander, Chervil, Dill, Garlic, Ginger, Oregano, Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Tarragon, Fennel, Lovage seed, Marjoram, Savory and Thyme.

Veal - Basil, Bay leaf, Chervil, Chives, Ginger, Marjoram, Mint, Parsley, Rosemary, Sage, Savory and Thyme.

Venison - Bay, Lovage seed, Rosemary, Sage, Savory and Sweet Marjoram.

Rabbit - Basil, Bay, Marjoram, Lovage seed, Rosemary and Sage.

Liver - Basil, Dill, Marjoram, Sage, Savory and Thyme.

Turkey - Basil, Garlic, Marjoram, Oregano, Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Savory, Tarragon, Thyme, Parsley and Sweet Marjoram.

Chicken - Thyme, Anise, Basil, Bay leaf, Borage, Chervil, Chives, Cinnamon, Cumin, Dill, Fenugreek, Fennel, Garlic, Ginger, Lovage, Lemon Balm, Marjoram, Mint Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Savory and Tarragon.

Duck - Bay, Rosemary, Sage, Sweet Marjoram and Tarragon.

Goose - Fennel, Sage and Sweet Marjoram.

Fish - Anise, Basil, Borage, Caraway, Chevil, Chives, Dill, Fennel, Garlic, Ginger, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Saffron, Sage, Savory, Tarragon and Thyme.

Baked or Grilled Fish - Basil, Bay, Caraway, Chervil, Chives, Dill, Fennel, Lemon Balm, Lemon Thyme, Lovage, Marjoram, Mints, Parsley, Savory, Tarragon and Thyme.

Salmon - Dill seed and Rosemary.

Fish Soups - Bay, Lovage, Sage, Savory, Tarragon and Thyme.

Oily Fish - Fennel and Dill.

Seafood - Basil, Bay, Chervil, Chives, Dill, Fennel Seed, Marjoram, Rosemary, Tarragon and Thyme.

Use herbs sparingly to enhance, not overpower the delicate flavour of fish. For maximum flavour add or refresh herbs near the end of roasting.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 16:44:44 »
Thanks very much, Bugloss- that's really useful.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 16:51:48 »
Not so sure about Liver and Basil.............

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 18:17:47 »
That was a brilliant and accurate list from Bugloss.

I am not going to argue the fact for a moment.

The trick is to get the seasoning to your own taste and it is easy to over do herbs and spices.

I have been cooking now since my mother got a job in 1962 and left me to make the family meal when I got in from school so that it would be ready when my father collected my mother from work in the car and they came home to a freshly cooked tea.

The first job I got was to boil the potatoes (mother had peeled) grill the lamb chops and add the tin of peas as a veg. The gravey was an oxo cube thickened with cornflour.

Well it whetted my appetite for cooking and during the school holidays I watched experts on the TV. I remember Fanny Craddock but not her recipes. Other cooks. I can see their faces in my mind but cannot recall their names. I got a lot of tips about cooking ideas from them.

Now, I am one of those cooks who gets produce and just makes a meal. I have learnt what goes with things I do not weigh or measure. Unless of course I get something from the internet or a cook book to try and even then I seem to alter the recipe before assembling it.

My suggestion is to try just a little of these herbs and spices at a time. Too much can (yes I have done it) make a mess of a good meal. So add a small bit, see how it goes and next time you will know to add more or less.

Blending of herbs and spices is quite an art form.

I am still learning and hope to continue to do so 50 years on.

Enjoy cooking

darkbrowneggs

• Half Acre
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 21:31:50 »
Philip Harborne ?   The Galloping Gourmet

My mum bought me a cookbook in 1961 and I was given a budget of £1 to produce a sunday lunch for the 5 of us.  Dad had had a heart attack and Mum was having to run the family farm.  I did the shopping in my lunch-hour on a Friday, and cooked for us while Mum did the morning feeding etc.

I was 11 and loved it.  It made me feel really grown up.  I planned the menu carefully and always did a main course and pud.  It made me a careful shopper for life   ;D

The cookbook was Good Housekeeping Basic Cookery.  I still have it and occasionally refer to it even now  ;D

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional English Cuckoo Marans and their lovely big brown eggs

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal