Author Topic: Encouraging wildlife  (Read 1919 times)

Stedic

• Quarter Acre
Encouraging wildlife
« on: May 16, 2011, 14:53:46 »
Hello all,

What can I do to encourage wildlife, that won't make our rat problem any worse?

I want to put in wood piles, bird feeders etc but I'm worried that the rats will take advantage of this.

We don't have room for a pond.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Encouraging wildlife
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 15:00:36 »
I hang bird feeders up high away from rats and cats.   I also put food down for ground feeders but try and limit the quantity to what the birds will eat in one day so theer's none left for the rats at night.  Avoid cooked food such as bread and rice as that attracts rats.

Put out bowls of water and maybe a birdbath so that birds and insects can drink.   I have wood piles here and there for invertebrates.  In my garden, rats and other rodents tend to nest in tunnels underground.  we are surrounde dby fields so will always have rodents from tiny field mice to big rats.   I put down poison for the rats who raid my greenhouse and eat seeds and seedlings and scoff plants I shelter in there in winter.
Obxx - Vendée France

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 19:50:09 »
Deal with the rat problem and you will be ok.

Stedic

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 02:31:19 »
Unfortunatley I think the rat problem is allotment wide.  From what I understand they are all over the place and live under most sheds.

Our shed definately has some rat nests underneath, but its falling down and will be replaced later in the month with one that I will raise off the ground.  I think poisoning the rats is a bit futile if they are all over the other plots too.

I'll start with bird feeders and plenty of flowers for the bees, then add in some insect shelters over the year.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 08:22:09 »
Luckily no rats so far but lots of mice, rabbits, deer, etc I think by just growing food you encourage the wildlife.  We also have voles they seem to like the compost bins this in turn seems to encourage the birds of prey.  We have had kestrals, red kite and buzzards.  I unfortunately spend more time discouraging wildlife.

I am trying to grow more flowers for the bees  and left some patches of groundsell for the goldfinches.   

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 08:49:36 »
Where there is habitat and food..wild life will follow..
But to be successful you have to start from the bottom of the food chain.
Encourage lot of different insect by providing some little pockets of 'wilderness' here and there.  If every allotment would have square metre of nectar plants..that would already make big difference.
But it doesn't have to be just 'boring' flowers..leaving odd onion/leek to flower..or cauli...maybe some sown under a apple trees where proper crops are difficult. Mulching provide hiding places for lot of things.
You just have to be 'untidy' in tidy way..tidy enough so nowbody complain that your lottie is in mess.
If there is hedges..don't rush to trim them too early when birds are nesting..or..if there is parts flowering..let them finish first and then trim.
It is not big effort..just thinking what is beneficial and leave it be for bit later...let nature reap benefits from its crops. There is too many gardeners still around who keep their plots and garden immaculate..tidying every fallen leaf and twig away..and those 'spray bottles' are still used to kill for what ever may or may not be threat to their plants.  Less that and allowing some creepy crawler's to be makes garden grow much better plants.. ;) Once you plot is rich with insects..you get more and more their predators coming...and then birds..and if birds have somewhere to nest, they will stay,,,and then comes bigger birds,,,etc,,,and the last and final is big ugly 'committee' bird that will 'sing' "you've gone too far now"... ;D ;D

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 11:00:16 »
Been five years now and the wildlife are just starting to come along properly.
No chemicals and the odd bit of luck have seen us through to a lovely garden.

Stedic,
Just a point of fact for you, I get rats coming down from the fields every year and you have to deal with them the same way you would for all unwanted vermin. Lace and trap is the only way.
Farmer has dogs and a big gun of which we can only use one, you guess which ;)

Plenty of feeders as all others have said, I have a ground feeder and water bath too. There is a bird bath just outside and they all have a drink and a wash from this and the other one at the top of the garden. So if no room for a pond then these bath things are just the job for the birds. Ground baths are great for the Hedgehogs and other ground dwelling creatures.

Had a bit of a shock though :o a cheeky Blackbird looking for food came and sat on my shoulder as I was planting the Sunflowers. Then jumped down to grab a few grubs and bugs. He scampered off under the Comfrey to feed one of the babies. Patience is what I have learned and then it pays off. Shame I did not have someone to take a picture of this. :(

Got them back now to put some tread on them

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal