Author Topic: Ae you a passionate reader?  (Read 11570 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Ae you a passionate reader?
« on: January 07, 2011, 20:19:49 »
If so, you might be interested in the BBC World Book Night

http://www.worldbooknight.org/

they've already extended the deadline for people to apply to be "givers" at least twice, I would think because the idea of giving away as many as 48 copies of a book seems a bit daunting! Otherwise it sounds like a good idea.

What's your favourite on the list? I enjoyed (if that's the right word) "Half the yellow sun" , "Stuart" and "One day".

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Ae you a passionate reader?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 20:41:52 »
Oh gosh Caroline, I didn't know about this! What a great idea! And which one to choose? There are many dear friends on the list and others that I shall now have to read!! I loved the Life of Pi and Love in the time of cholera but so many more too.

I don't know if I'll get round to applying to be a giver though. It sounds a bit of a responsibility.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 21:05:44 »
This is also news to me. 

I won't be volunteering either, but from that list my favourite book by far is A Fine Balance, with Fingersmith and The Blind Assassin in second and third place respectively. 

I tried reading Half the Yellow Sun but I just couldn't get on with it.  Not like me at all...  ::)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 21:35:40 »
I also had a problem with Half a Yellow Sun and gave up halfway through. 

I have to read every day, life wouldn't seem right without a book to enjoy.  My daughter and two sons are exactly the same, so is my husband who has never read a book in his own language but much prefers English.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 21:44:34 »
I've read eight of them of which the John le Carre is probably my favourite.
I'm a lifelong bookbuff and I'm always reading several books at any one time.  :)
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 22:23:27 »
Not much of a reader of fiction.  I've read a couple of Heaney's collections that contribute to his entry in the list, but that's it.  My bedside table book at the moment is a textbook on calculus.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 22:28:59 »
My bedside table book at the moment is a textbook on calculus.

Never heard of him.  Was he the chap who invented the thermometer?  ;)  ;D

gx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 22:47:46 »
I enjoy reading very much.  I keep a book in my bag that I read on the bus on the way home from work and one by the bed for reading before sleep time (and when I wake up if I become too engrossed, heh) but in my mind I keep them very separate as I find being a 'multi' reader just does not work for me.  I like to give a single book my full concentration rather than have two on the go.  In which case I read two complete opposites. I'm not a reader of classics though, I must admit.  At the moment, I have Spike Milligan in my bag (he's quite small you know) and just last night I finished reading 'The Damage Done: Twelve Years Of Hell In A Bangkok Prison' by Warren Fellows.

Anyway, I digress.  This World Book Night sounds superb and I shall have a study and quite possibly put down my name as a giver.  Thanks, Caroline :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 22:56:05 »
I've just come back to Augustine's "City of God"  that I was reading at University in 1980. Finding it a bit easier going now...  :-X

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 23:06:39 »
Yes, five library books at the moment, can't wait to go to bed and read.  Also read sauce bottles etc. whilst eating, adverts and road signs, tube maps are good too.  ;D ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 02:04:00 »
My first grown up book I bought when I was 15.H.E.Bates A Moment In Time.

I lost that dog eared old book and was delighted to buy a hard back version on Ebay.

The seller included a book mark with my initial,a nice touch.

A story of young people in the second world war.

Anybody remember the first grown up book they bought for themselves ?

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 02:06:59 »
Our family doctor has a "lending library" in the waiting room. You can take a book or leave one for somebody else to read. Very handy and uncomplicated. Some chain restaurants do that along the main interstate highway also. No cost just ask that you drop it off at another stop when you've finished reading it.

I liked reading your list of recommended books  :) always interesting to hear what others have enjoyed and will get some of those to take on vacation.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 02:13:23 »
I have read a few on the list ,not many but I love Jean Brodie.

Have you got to hand out 48 books?

Too many me thinks ???

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 10:20:58 »
I did see a programme about it ages ago, but forgot all about it until you just reminded me Caroline. I've applied to be a 'giver' of Margaret Attwood's 'The Blind Assassin'.....will wait and see if I'm selected!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 10:53:12 »
Has anyone else read Colin Cotterill's "Dr Siri" series, set in Laos? I'm a bit hooked on these at the moment, even though I'm not usually one for "whodunnits". My son is moving on from Thailand to Laos today on his travels so I'm really looking forward to seeing his photos! :D

Also just finished an Alexander McCall Smith-one of his Scotland Street series.

Going back to the BBC list, I love Kate Atkinson's earlier writing but have found her detective stories a bit too gory!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 10:58:11 »
I also am a big fan of Alexander Mccall Smith. :)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 11:29:43 »
I also am a big fan of Alexander Mccall Smith. :)
 Me too. Finished 44 Scotland Street and from the public library, the Ladies Detection series on CD on a long car ride. However, did not like the movie on the book- thought the acting was quite stilted and slow.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 11:45:39 »
Must admit I liked the film,although she was younger than in my minds eye.

I love Isabelle Delhousy ???I know I have not spelt that right LOL

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 18:45:02 »
I read between 3 or 4 books a week, any old rubbish that is going cheap in the charity shops and now with my Kindle as well. I found that I can get into amazon by the back door and get the american amazon site. The books they offer for a pound here are a dollar there so I only pay 77p. I expect the loophole will be closed soon but I have at least £20 worth to get through plus all the free classics.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 18:49:51 »
Ace I am thinking of buying a Kindle.  How do you buy books so cheaply?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal