Author Topic: Ae you a passionate reader?  (Read 11569 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Ae you a passionate reader?
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 19:12:05 »
I have a notebook that uses a canadian server on a 3g connection it connects to amazon usa when I connect to amazon. But they have books on offer for a pound on the english site most of the time plus loads of free ones, mostly classics.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 19:13:40 »
Thanks ACE.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 09:10:02 »
I applied to be a giver for northern lights - philip pullman, which is a wonderful childrens book.

I am an avid reader and go to bed early to write my garden diary and then have a n hours read before bed. Just finished day and night - virgina wolf, which was really thought provoking.

48 is a lot of books but i feel that there are all sorts of waiting rooms bus station train station and my local sewing group that i can leave the copies.

we will see what happens let us know if anyone is sucessful
x sunloving

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Are you a passionate reader?
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 22:22:17 »
For those interested, the new series of The TV Book Club starts this Sunday on More4 @ 7.50pm.  The first book reviewed will be Emma Donoghue's 'Room' a novel about a five year old boy and his mother who spend all of their time in a locked room.

Has anybody read it?

Edit:  A link about the book (and also the others due to be reviewed) on the TV Book Club website:
http://www.tvbookclub.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=351&catalogId=353&langId=100&productId=210687
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 22:29:15 by SamLouise »

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 22:59:19 »
2/3 of the way through The Black Swan by Taleb.  Very deep but am enjoying his sprightly, humorous writing style.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 09:38:39 »
just bought myself a late Christmas present, a kindle so will have to investigate the cheap downloads, still. loads to choose from, I'm in the middle of an Elizabeth Peters egyptian mystery at the moment  :)

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2011, 23:10:09 »
Regarding the Kindle.  Not that I'm thinking of buying one but ... how is it that some of the books don't cost anything at all?  I was just on Amazon looking at something unrelated and it had a list of books for the Kindle all for £0.00 saving £10.29 on the printed versions??! 

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 06:35:20 »
Some Like most of the classics are out of copyright, others are promotional to help a new author get a name and a lot are educational.

There are moves afoot to have ebook lending/swap amongst 'friends' but I think this means reconfiguring the kindle device somehow, which I won't do, I expect it will be made illegal like the music pirates sites.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, 09:48:55 »
just bought a kindle, 2 gardening books, cost 72p each..downnloaded a couple of my favvie authors and a few new, free ones to try  :)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2011, 11:32:43 »

When I do have time to read a book from cover to cover it is boys own stuff for me, Chris Ryan or Andy Mc Nab(very sad), although I have my nose in books all the time seeking truth and justice, :)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2011, 23:08:42 »
I know it's not everybody's cup a tea but I'm a sci fi lover,and the book I'm reading at the moment is book 3 of the Liveship traders trilogy by Robin Hobb.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2011, 12:12:36 »
I know it's not everybody's cup a tea but I'm a sci fi lover,and the book I'm reading at the moment is book 3 of the Liveship traders trilogy by Robin Hobb.

I love a bit of Sci Fi myself - currently reading the XeeLee series by Stephen Baxter but Iain Banks, Neal Asher, Peter Hamilton, Richard Morgan and Alistair Reynolds (all good British authors!) have been across my bedside table recently.
However now I need reading glasses and I have difficultly keep glasses and books together so it seems to take an age to read anything...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 15:00:13 »
Oh no they have pick me and i haven't tolled my OH..................................Oh it's only 48 books to give away it can't be the difficult :o
                                             Twoflower

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2011, 17:04:57 »
How long have you got to get rid of them?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 14:06:48 »
Just catching up on my email.....and I've been picked too! I'll be picking up 48 copies of Margaret Attwood's 'The Blind Assassin' on March 5th.......brilliant! Good job there are a lot of avid readers at the hospital, hopefully it will not be too difficult to distribute them all! ;D ;D ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2011, 11:02:48 »
Oooh, books.  My real luxury is uninterrupted time to read.

Just finished Darkmans by Nicola Barker - odd book, very odd book.  Frogslegs & BarriedaleNick , I've been on a sci fi kick for the last year or so & agree Ian M Banks, Alistair Reynolds, Peter Hamilton's earlier works, not so keen on his Void trilogy tho. also Ian McDonald, William Gibson and Dan Simmonds are big ticks on my list.

Re the world book night.  I've read 10 and without knowing the connection, picked up two more in my local charity shop at the weekend.  An interesting concept, but as I'm a member of book crossing, I do it all the time.  Anything to get more titles into people's awareness rather than what the supermarkets offer is a good idea by me.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2011, 17:38:13 »
I look forward to hearing how it goes. :D

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2011, 19:18:16 »
Oooh, books.  My real luxury is uninterrupted time to read.

Just finished Darkmans by Nicola Barker - odd book, very odd book.  Frogslegs & BarriedaleNick , I've been on a sci fi kick for the last year or so & agree Ian M Banks, Alistair Reynolds, Peter Hamilton's earlier works, not so keen on his Void trilogy tho. also Ian McDonald, William Gibson and Dan Simmonds are big ticks on my list.

Re the world book night.  I've read 10 and without knowing the connection, picked up two more in my local charity shop at the weekend.  An interesting concept, but as I'm a member of book crossing, I do it all the time.  Anything to get more titles into people's awareness rather than what the supermarkets offer is a good idea by me.
Talk about odd books, I'm reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, very strange book and difficult to see how things will ever we've together across the eras he writes about.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2011, 19:24:14 »
Cloud Atlas is a top book - odd but great.  Once you get half way through I seem to rememberit making a little more sense..not much though!

Deb and Twoflower - Im sure you'll have no issues with giving them away!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2011, 08:44:14 »
Cloud Atlas was one of the books I picked up randomly at the weekend and have just started.  So far, so good!
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal