Author Topic: Monster Parsnip  (Read 3990 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Monster Parsnip
« on: January 03, 2011, 12:44:35 »
Yesterday I dug out, no, excavated a monster parsnip, it weighed 1.5 kgs and was 33cms long,  :o  but the bottom snapped off because I was digging down into clay, the small end where it snapped is the size of a two pence piece so I reckon about a half of the snip in length was left in the ground, the ground was very heavy and claylike so I had to snap it or I would have been there all day.     ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Monster Parsnip
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 13:37:06 »
Having read that I just had to weigh the one I dug up yesterday- 1.9kg without the tail! It's an ugly thing but much better value than those slender things you get from the supermarket!

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 14:04:58 »
Picture?

Pretty or maybe ugly please  :)
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 14:09:12 »
I still reckon that I expend more energy getting the d**n things out of my London clay than I do from eating them..
Here's mine - slightly under the kilo and fugly!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 14:55:32 »
Good job!
Ours are still in the ground but now having a bit of a thaw (the hyacinth are poking up out of the ground) so maybe we'll get a taste.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 18:29:52 »
How to get parsnips out without them breaking:- Dig a "moat" around the `snip with a trowel, going as deep as possible. Fill with water several times, letting it soak away between times. Take a firm grip on the parsnip and pull slowly, using sustained pressure, if it fails to move use more water. Do not yank the plant otherwise it may snap, or conversely, come out in a rush and you end up on your backside. ;D ;D
DaiT

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 21:02:04 »
I gave up with them.

Yes I got a few decent ones and several more that resembled something Dr Who had been fighting.

That was after I a spent years finding out how to germinate the buggers in the first place.

Now, If I want them. I buy them and use the land that I have for something more reliable.

daitheplant

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 21:08:39 »
Heather you are such a misery. Why give up? Gardening is all about trying, failing then trying again. AND succeeding. ;D
DaiT

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 21:12:27 »
We get big parsnips as well  ;D Am going to be looking for ways to use them up soon. Tonight was carrots: made some carrot fritters, carrot soup, veg samosas and carrot bread!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 21:12:35 »
Heather you are such a misery. Why give up? Gardening is all about trying, failing then trying again. AND succeeding. ;D

You could be right that I am a misery but I look at it as 'knowing when you are beat' then moving on.
There is plenty more to try to conquer.  

Been there, tried that It did not work...Leave it and move on.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 21:35:37 »
Great news to me about everyones parsnips i have been  worried about mine for ages the neibours have asked are they ready i did not like to tell them stephen speilberg was using them as extras boy are they ugly but i am very pleased to here i am not on my own. As for lifting them i will have to wait till the big thaw and use a large fork they are huge will take photos when they come out of ground thank you all i had lovely laugh at everyones Tales of the snips . Happy new year to you all. Rugbypost
m j gravell

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 09:53:04 »
Does it matter if they're really ugly? Taste is the important thing & I prefer ugly ones. Show's they've not come from the supermarket   ;D

Reminds me that I've got a few in a bucket in the garden. Need to go do some harvesting now the snow's gone. Doubt anything I've got in a bucket will be anything near the size yours mind  ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 10:28:18 »
We save our own seed and also share it with others on our sandy plot. Everyone raves about it. Don't know what the variety is cos an old chap(well older than me) on our site gave me some of his saved seed 3 years ago and I have saved mine ever since.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 10:53:40 »
I'm sitting here wondering  ??? why with all the carrot breeding for longer, shorter, stubbier etc they haven't developed parsnips that grow round like a rutabaga instead of those that like searching for China. It would probably have to happen in UK because here Americans barely know what a parsnip is sorry to say.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

pumkinlover

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 11:02:06 »
I gave up with them.

Yes I got a few decent ones and several more that resembled something Dr Who had been fighting.

That was after I a spent years finding out how to germinate the buggers in the first place.

Now, If I want them. I buy them and use the land that I have for something more reliable.

I sow in pots and transplant as never get them to work with direct planting. It is slow, tedious and needs a lot more care and water.
And you get far more split roots but I just see them as more parsnip for your one seed!  What doesn't get eaten in many forms gets made into parsnip wine.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 18:41:32 »
I have at last succeeded by germinating on damp paper in plastic bag in warm place, putting seed into individual loo rolls as soon as I see a tiny root (they all germinate at different times over a week or two), and planting out the loo roll BEFORE the root comes poking out of the bottom. It is amazing how fast that little root dives downwards. I have dug a few monsters but the rest are still in the ground.

pumkinlover

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 19:07:54 »
did you plant out the loo roll including the plant?
I used to do this with leeks but found the loo roll did not rot quickly and I seemed to have to water an awful lot more. I would have thought the roots would go downwards with this method but the plants just sat looking miserable when I did it. Maybe soaking the loo roll would help, any tips? You seem to have it "mastered"!

I have tried the paper germination method for beans and cucurbits and it worked well so I will try with parsnips now.
Anne

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 19:16:25 »
Not overly impressed.

Parsnips at the right point for the dinner table are smaller.

Bit of a bloke thing to brag about having the biggest.

I have spent a life time trying to explain to blokes growing veg on allotments that the ideal size for the chef is not the biggest woodiest, stingiest growth.

Did you cook and eat your monster?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 19:51:03 »
I've found the big ones are perfectly edible, didn't need to take out any core before roasting. I use the loo roll method too- just make sure the roll is under the soil, or tear the top off when you plant them, otherwise it dries out and doesn't rot down so quickly.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 20:10:59 »
I grow monster parsnips too and find them perfectly delicious to eat..they are not stringy or woody at all..
I do admit larger they are harder they are to dig out whole but having a monster on your hands is soooo satisfying ;D ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal