Author Topic: Monster Parsnip  (Read 4019 times)

pumkinlover

Re: Monster Parsnip
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 20:21:12 »
I've found the big ones are perfectly edible, didn't need to take out any core before roasting. I use the loo roll method too- just make sure the roll is under the soil, or tear the top off when you plant them, otherwise it dries out and doesn't rot down so quickly.

Thank you back to saving the loo rolls then!
Anyone used one of those paper pot making devices they sell now?

As for monster parsnips I just break off a leg and use it for one meal, next day the next one till all gone :D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 20:32:23 »
Great photo Nick!

I've grown them for the 1st time, but I did mine in crates (like I do the carrots - mix of soil and sand) and mostly they are small, but still very yummy, oh and I'm right chuffed  ;D Just hope I can manage to do as well next year  ::)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 21:52:29 »
The bog roll method would work for parsnips because the root goes straight down and out of the bottom. It's harder to see it working for leeks since they're shallow rooted, and the roots might have trouble getting through the cardboard at the sides. They don't mind root disturbance though so you could take them out of the roll, unlike snips.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 08:31:59 »
I got a paper pot maker for Christmas and find it's designed to make quite a small pot with a base, so wouldn't be as good as loo rolls. But no reason why you couldn't make bottomless ones out of rolled up paper as long as they were strong enough.

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 10:14:33 »

My parsnips are like Dr Who monsters too. I just sowed lots of seed in and they all came up!!  Didn't know they needed thinning  ;D We have lots all shapes and sizes take a bit of cleaning but just soak in water and they are delicious!! I really don't worry about the shape or size of our veg just thrilled to be able to eat something that we grew  ;D ;D

X Chas

schmelda

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 11:45:04 »
Mine weren't thinned either, as the previous plot owner planted them, then had to abandon all allotmenting tasks.  It's always a mystery what I'll dig up - will it be teeny tiny, or will it be a giant?  Oh the suspense..!  ;D

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 14:23:52 »
Not overly impressed.

Parsnips at the right point for the dinner table are smaller.

Bit of a bloke thing to brag about having the biggest.

I have spent a life time trying to explain to blokes growing veg on allotments that the ideal size for the chef is not the biggest woodiest, stingiest growth.

Did you cook and eat your monster?

Ohhhh get you!  I dont think we were actually out to impress you really.  It is not high on my list of concerns. 
My massive nips are prefeck for the table - Its a myth that smaller veg are more tasty.  It may suit the chef for looks on a plate but I dont give a hoot what it looks like - it's just down to taste.  Mine taste just like parsnips should.
And all this stereotypical nonsense about boys bragging rights is just that - nonsense.  Half the people posting are women!!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 14:37:09 »
The thing that really surprises me everytime is when we get monster parsnips they aren't woody (I expected them to be!).

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 14:45:07 »
The only get woody later in the Spring... the core hardens to support the very tall flower stem it makes. Even then you can get good food out of it just cut the flesh from the shoulders around the core..  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal