Author Topic: wet sandy soil  (Read 1226 times)

sandman

wet sandy soil
« on: January 05, 2011, 00:09:43 »
hello
i am new to a4a and need some advice i have wet sandy soil what is the best plan of action before i start planting out and how will it effect the plants.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: wet sandy soil
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 00:35:12 »
I'm confused here?

Sand by it's very nature is free draining!

In fact more often or not it is difficult to keep moist.

Do you mean it is wet now I.e. Today. Or do you mean in summer?

The only thing I can think of is a high water table!

Is there a pond,river or stream nearby?

Is it at the bottom of a hill and catching the 'run off' from higher up the hill?

Get back to us with a bit more info and pictures if you can then we can take it from there!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 10:10:08 »
I've got a well-draining soil, but I'm also between the stream, an old mill leat, and its natural course. The result is that I get waterlogging in winter, and drought in any decent summer. If your soil is sandy, it won't be wet through anything intrinsic. Let us know your exact situation, and hopefully we'll be able to help.

sandman

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 16:13:42 »
yes i am next to a stream approx 150 feet away and yes the water table is high as my neighbours have confirmed to me ? ::)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 16:50:36 »
I assume you're on the flood plain, and pretty much on a level with the stream. Raised beds are likely to be the best solution. You're not actually next to the stream, so drains would have to be a communal effort. It's usually possible to get old scaffolding boards for little or nothing; treat them before you use them, and aim to fill them up over a period, with annual layers of dead leaves or whatever you can get.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 17:53:25 »
I agree with Robert when he says; so drains would have to be a communal effort.

Having said that and having not seen your plot a suggestion could be; you could try digging a trench along the side of your plot i.e. between it and the stream to act as a 'ditch' (not the word I first entered the word 'd**e' was censored)and it might lower the water table a bit!

In other words Roberts way will take you above the water, my way puts the water below you but either way means you have a bit of work on your hands.

Best of luck!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 18:02:32 »
A ditch that doesn't go anywhere will provide a lovely environment for breeding frogs, but won't get rid of the water.

sandman

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 21:56:32 »
thanks for all the replies they have been most useful

another question at the rear of the plots approx 300 feet away the farmer has dug deep ditches on all sides of his fields.and placed large white pipes with the ends sticking out of ground on two sides .neighbour said there soak aways .anyone any idea what a reel of this would cost  :-*

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 21:57:52 »
I don't know, but the problem with soakaways in your situation is that they'd be below the water table so they'd just fill up naturally.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal