Author Topic: how to speed up my C.  (Read 5667 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
how to speed up my C.
« on: December 18, 2010, 13:04:32 »
My computer is so slow at times and sometimes I cannot get on line.  What is the best way to fix this?   My computer is 9 years old and some people say I need to replace it.   Others say I need to purchase something.   Help again please.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: how to speed up my C.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 13:24:37 »
Delete your temporary folders and cookies....do a defragment....get rid of all those icons on your desktop..they slow your PC down and you dont need them..you can still use your programme button.

You could also do a disc clean to get rid of old files etc.

This may all help but if it doesnt.....a new PC may be required or maybe you might be able to get hold of some more memory.

I delete my cookies etc everytime I use the PC..just before I log off.I also defragment every week,normally on a Sunday morning.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

jockomorrocco

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 14:14:09 »
I use ccleaner  and the best thing is its free http://www.piriform.com/

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 14:41:02 »
Agree, CCleaner is good.

However you will need a RAM (memory) upgrade if it is 9 years old and has never been upgraded. To check how much you have, right click on My Computer and go to Properties. You can get replacement RAM on Ebay and its a simple job, but there are different types and some older RAM is very expensive so may not be worth the expense.

To avoid having to take the back off the PC at this stage, I would download this free program http://download.cnet.com/SiSoftware-Sandra/3000-2086_4-10556571.html?tag=mncol  which will inspect your PC hardware and tell you what type of RAM and motherboard (main board which all the other bits slot into) you have, and how many slots are free.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 14:42:52 »
A computer that's nine years old? I'd say it needs a little bit of work and an upgrade to get it going at full speed again.

CCleaner is ok but it's not a miracle worker, LOL

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 16:37:26 »
A nine yr old PC is always going to be slow I'm afraid.
As others have said - more memory may help.  Defragging may help a bit if your drive is fragmented.  A reg cleaner like CCleaner can help as well as clearing out old unused progs esp those that grab memory at start up.  Lots of progs do that!
Deleting cookies wont help that much (unless it is related to certain websites) and deleting desktop items wont help at all im afraid.

I generally reinstall XP every few years (for my work PCs) and if you can do this as well as adding memory then it is quite amazing how much quicker things can be on a clean box.  However it means backing up all your data and then reinstalling all your progs.  Depends on your techyness whether you want to go down that route.

Personally I would buy a new box - there are some very cheap deals to be had if you look hard enough..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 19:59:49 »
Thanks for replies. I am considering all options.    I don't mind my computer being a bit slow but not 15-20 mins to get on a site.  Thanks again.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 20:03:13 »
PS  It is not slow all the time.   Tonight it quite quick.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 20:32:51 »
one of my pcs has a 9 year old motherboard . It works quite fine, but it is a lean machine.

if loading web pages gets slower and slower the longer you have been on the net, try restarting the pc

see how fast your connection is -

with something like http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ if you have broadband

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 21:25:41 »
Join your local freecycle and put in a request for a replacement base unit, you will be surprised what people will give away.

http://www.freecycle.org

Or you may be able to pick a newer one than you have for a few pounds on ebay.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 08:01:04 »
Thanks for the above replies. 
I  am reluctant to buy a new computer because of transferring  the sites etc. from my present one.
Sometimes at certain times of the day I cannot even get on line, but will try the above.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 08:43:15 »
Take out the hard drive, get one with the same interface but bigger, install Linux, I recommend Mandriva, but other distros  exist, Ubuntu is popular and easy to use. This is being typed on  a ten uear old laptop and they only reason I spent 75 quid a few weeks ago on a s/h 4 year old ex-corporate workstation was cos this one doesn't have the grunt to play iplayer after their last upgrade.

This is a 900MHz Pentium 3 with 512Mb memory and a 32Mb graphics card built in (but ptoper graphics memory, not shared.....

One obnoxious resource murderer on Windows is anti-virus and similar software. Unneeded on linux as there are no viruses and no executable can install without your knowledge

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 12:53:48 »
Code: [Select]
I  am reluctant to buy a new computer because of transferring  the sites etc. from my present one
By this do you mean transferring your list of saved websites? It is very easy to do this, and its a good idea to back up everything in case your PC packs up, which it is quite likely to do given its age!

greenfists

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 19:23:19 »
Have to agree with chriscross.
I use Ubuntu on an old laptop and it was like going back in time.
Its really user friendly and FREE.
Its fine for browsing etc.

If you haven't got green fingers then use your fists.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 21:50:01 »
I use Ubuntu too on an old pc of mine. I recommend it. You can run it off a cd to try it, obviously slower, but it gives you an idea without having to commit yourself!

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 06:46:31 »
Thanks.  Sound a good idea.   

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 07:29:40 »
Linux Mint is another one, I've used it on old laptops and it works a treat, far faster than any version of Windows would be on the same machine.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 08:42:13 »
One obnoxious resource murderer on Windows is anti-virus and similar software.

This is simply not true - I realise that Linux users are always on a campaign to get others on board but this is utter nonsense and has been for years.
Linux is great - why not promote it (if you must) for the benefits it has - not for the imagined drawbacks of alternatives..

AVG - currently 0% of CPU and 1.7 mb of mem.
My Steam client - when doing nothing takes 70 mb..

I run over 800 windows PCs usong Sophos and they run with no noticable diference whether Sophos is running or not and we have some old PCs in that number...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 20:54:32 »
I use advanced system care (microsoft free download) to do the cleaning up jobs as above -you can get it from thier website for free. just another option helps with a little spyware and security stuff to.
X sunloving

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 13:25:06 »
I have an Apple laptop also 9 or 10 years old. For Christmas I am having a netbook. How do I transfer old bookmarks please. I am useless with computers but am hoping to be able post pictures, links etc. If I don't reappear you will know that OH has lost his patience with me &  I am under the patio ;) ;D.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal