Author Topic: kindle  (Read 2967 times)

ACE

• Hectare
kindle
« on: December 05, 2010, 07:44:12 »
anybody got one? I have ben reading good revues, but some input on here would help my cause. I want one for xmas.

Q. arguments from the old school who see nothing wrong in real books, I love print and paper but to be able to get the latest best sellers at the touch of a button has got to be good. I usually read a revue then forget all about it when I next visit the bookshop, this way I can get it while the mood is on me.

Loads of free books out there as well ;)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: kindle
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 09:03:34 »
Havent got one personally but a good friend has one and she loves it esp when she is travelling.  Excellent battery life, space for thousands of books, very nice screen...My wife has a Cybook but would swap for a kindle if she could.
There are certainly loads of free books out there both legal and "dodgy"  ;)
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 09:44:22 »
I have got one... but it's boxed up and i'm not allowed to look at it till the 25th!  I have seen a friends though, and it convinced me to get one... holding it was easy, the screen was easy to read, controls were good, and I'll buy one of the hemp kindle covers for sale on Amazon, which will make it look more like a "book"... but I am still unsure that I will buy many kindle books...

I LOVE books, I have thousands, and cannot get rid of any... I will "rescue" books that people are throwing away that I think I will read one day...  I love the feel of a book, I love looking at bookshelves full of books... okay I am sad... I like looking at peoples collections of books when I go to their houses, to see what kinds of things they read; it sometimes sparks an interesting conversation...  I will never stop buying proper books...  I am worried that if I buy a book on a Kindle, in 10 years time when the battery no longer holds its charge, i will not be able to read the books again...  also take a look at some kindle book prices... some prices are similar or even more than a paperback version... crazy.  Also quite a few of my favourite books I have on my shelves, which I would buy for the Kindle, so i could read on holidays, etc, are not actually available for the Kindle... one used to be, but it's disappeared...

However... I don't have much money, and I read a lot... and there are a lot of free books out there, including ones I wish to read... one series of real books I wish to read costs nearly £20 a book (paperback) but the whole lot are free on a kindle, as they are "old".  I'll have paid for the Kindle, just with that one series...  I like reading classics too, and many are freely available.  I also like reading in bed and the bath, and the Kindle can be held in one hand easier than a book can... I can keep books safe from bath water, hopefully (with care) I can with a Kindle!

So... I'll probably only buy a book if it is very reasonable compared to a paperback... and if I then decide it will be a book I wish to read time and time again (yes, I do do this) I'll prob still buy a paperback version when Amazon sell it very reasonably (if I wait, I can often get books on amazon at nearly 1/2 price)  In the main, i'll use it to read all the free books which look interesting.  i hope my local libraries start moving away from "lending" EPUB books to supplying Kindle books, as the Kindle is surely now more popular than the Sony...

I have ordered the "free" 3G version, as if I go away and am stuck for a book, it means I can download one (almost) whereever I am (not sure it would have worked in Antarctica  ;) !!!)  if you are rarely far from your PC, then the cheaper version would suffice...

This is a great video review if you've not already seen it... http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2J080XRB55H47/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B002LVUWFE&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=#wasThisHelpful

Have a think about what you read, whether it's available on the Kindle, and for what price, whether you read books time and time again, so whether you'd be frustrated in 10 years at maybe not being able to read something you'd previously bought (if the Kindle is defunct)

have fun  ;D  I think there will be a lof of us playing with our Kindles on the 25th!!!

cjb02

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 10:17:43 »
ir you like reading books and want to minimise on cost. Then I suggest this website called Read it Swap it. You swap with some one else and you both send the books off and pay only the postage. A great concept for reading more books cheaper.

http://www.readitswapit.co.uk/TheLibrary.aspx

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 10:23:47 »
Thats it!...It is all your fault Mat!..
I read lots and lots too..and ever increasing bookselfs where I can..but I have this urge for Kindle after reading your post ::)
Looks like some reasearch for the subject is ahead....bloody  hell...and like I have spare time as it is...more reading to do ::) ;D

mat

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 10:44:19 »
Thats it!...It is all your fault Mat!..
I read lots and lots too..and ever increasing bookselfs where I can..but I have this urge for Kindle after reading your post ::)

Sorry  ;D  yes, I have so many "oak Billy" bookshelves from Ikea, it's become a joke... I think my friend hopes that if he gets me a Kindle, my yearly increase in bookshelves will reduce...  I am not sure it will work!  I see the Kindle as an additional way to read books, not a replacement.  Like my iPod is for music.  Be aware tho (and I didn't mention it below) - that unlike music downloaded which is now free of digital rights management (DRM) security... ibooks are not... this means kindle books at present can only be read on a kindle, or other devices Amazon provide reading software for (currently ipod et al, android phones, pc)  I really hope the govt also makes books DRM free.  Seems unfair that one can pay the same money for an ibook as for a paperback, but can only read it one one specific device...  I dislike being locked in to any one manufacturer, but hey ho... I succombed...

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 11:10:26 »
 ;D ;D ;D...yes..oak Billys here too... ;D ;D
I do have to get rid of some books couple of times a year..and it is coming up soon.. :'( I sort charity bag of books and although my heart bleeds I just have to make room for some new editions to come ;D
Part from refrence books I only save those books that I know I like to read again. Otherwise I just have to be cruel....but it aint easy..

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 11:32:50 »
Try this site
           https://www.greenmetropolis.com/           

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 12:46:36 »
Ohhh..here we go ::)...thank for that ;D I shall browse that site with full attention ;D

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 14:31:47 »
This kindle sounds interesting.  May i ask how much?
I also read a lot & need to get rid of a lot of books hubby does complain to many books. ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 14:49:14 »
Like Mat I have too many bookcases! Only the front room to go... but OH refuses to let them spread into there. E-Books like Tape and CD before them are all perfectly viable options but when laid up in bed a book is physically easier to read...  :-[

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 15:00:09 »
I think kindle is aroun £150 in Amazon.. ::)...that would pay so many 2nd hand softbacks ::)

mat

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 15:20:37 »
£109 for basic wi-fi version (no 3G)
£149 with wi-fi and "free" 3G

yes, I agree, it would pay for a lot of books, and buying a Kindle should never be in order to save money... most of the time I think people will end up spending more...

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 15:28:12 »
But still....it is tempting though.. ;D
How many packets of seed one could get with that money...seeds, kindle or books.....it is getting difficult to choose......If we only could do Harry Hill style..FIGHT! ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 15:49:34 »
The yeti in pink knickers My darling wife has just sent off for one ;D

small

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 18:04:02 »
I bought a Sony reader 505 off eBay in the summer. It's the best investment I've ever made. My tastes run to classics, so all the stuff I want to read I download from Project Gutenberg.  My main reasons for loving it, which will apply equally to a Kindle - you can have several books 'on the go' and since the reader fits in a bag or pocket you have always got the choices with you:   The 'page turn' and the way you hold or rest them is much much more comfortable for arthritic hands:  I can put the reader on the arm of my chair to read and knit at the same time, without pages flopping shut: you can bookmark favourite passages.....can you tell I love it?

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 18:05:30 »
As OH reads for England (belongs to a reading circle), I thought 'A KINDLE'.
When I hinted - the answer was 'no thanks'.

So it's another box of handkerchiefs again this year!
 >:(
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Gothmaga

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 18:22:19 »
I have one and cannot praise it enough, I work in a children's home and have to sleep over so get to read quite a lot.  I have the one with free 3g and can download a new book in 60 seconds if finish one at work, amazing! and sure I will be taking it with me for breaks at the allotment as well LOL
I didn't want one at first as love the whole reading experience, holding a book, smell etc but after a friend convinced me wouldn't be without now as used to not buy books if wasn't sure about keeping it (storage issues) but on kindle no problems can buy lots and not worry.

Oldhippy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 10:10:59 »
I downloaded a 'free' kindle to my PC and I`ve already downloaded lots of free classic books from Amazon. It`s obviously not portable but it gives an idea of what it`s like to read an electronic book without shelling out for the real thing.
It`s also very useful for study purposes as it has a 'search' facility so that you can find relevant words and phrases in whatever book you`re reading. I`ve found that invaluable!

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 14:27:28 »
Like Mat I have too many bookcases!
Me too !!
[attachment=1][attachment=2][attachment=3]
You couldn't make it up!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal