Author Topic: Squishy Squash - help!  (Read 8358 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Squishy Squash - help!
« on: August 25, 2010, 14:54:02 »
Help!

Went to the plot today and found that 2 of my squash have gone all manky. A queensland Blue and a Rouge Vif D'Etamps. Each plant has 3 squash on them, and about 10 days ago I pinched the growing tips off them as I didn't want the plant to waste any energy on growing. Anyway today (haven't been to the plot for 2 days) I found 1 each on the plants. They were nearly full grown. What has happened? And are the rest of the squash going to be ok, or should I pick them now?

Thanks

1066  :'(

[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

[attachment=3]

[attachment=4]

lottiedolly

• Acre
Re: Squishy Squash - help!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 15:06:17 »
oh my god, i am frightened to pop in to the lottie as i do not want to find mine like this, how awful, i wonder how it happened  :(

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 15:10:05 »
I know what you mean - it's gruesome viewing  :'(  :'(  :'(

The rest seem ok at the moment..........  :-\

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 16:37:12 »
What a pity 1066 - can you salvage any bits of them for soup?  Hope the others survive!

Tricia

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 17:32:52 »
Probably not Tricia.  I tried to pick mine up and it squished all over the place.  Hoping that the rest of my stuff is okay.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 00:55:43 »
I am so sorry to see this..it looks like fusarium rot, I truthfully never saw it when I was in the UK

There are several very similar rots and it almost impossible  to actually define which one it is.

It is a similar pathogen to blight that we get in potatoes and toms,it affects the plant in similar ways but, it is not the same pathogen so this will not affect your spuds etc.

Look up fusarium rot,(not wilt) and  black rot  on the net.There are many strains and variations.

You need to carefully get rid of them, don't put them in your compost, most rots like this stay in the soil and they stay on the seeds, so if you are keeping any seeds from amy of your stock this year I would wash them well in a 10% bleach and water mixture and also do this on ant fruit you keep.

again, I am so very sorry.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 07:12:19 »
thanks Jeannine, someone else had sent me a link to Black Rot, and it certainly looks like it.
Insert your expletive of choice here ............................................

Can I save any of the other squash this year?

these were the links I was sent, will look up Fusarium rot as well

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/factsheets/Cucurbit_FrtRots.htm

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/factsheets/Cucurbit_GSBlight.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_5896103_treat-powdery-mildew-squash-plants.html

1066  :'(  :'(  :'(

Just looked up Fusarium rot - and that's not happy reading either! "There are no resistant varieties available and there are no effective fungicides. "

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 07:18:55 by 1066 »

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 08:07:18 »
A couple of our sunshine were like that yesterday. I just put it down to the heavy rain we have had lately. I am going to pick the others tomorrow and leave them on a sunny windowsill and hope for the best
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 09:15:14 »
Oh Shirl, I hope it hasn't affected yours too!! Hopefully it is something else.
I'm going to pick mine later today

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 21:34:38 »
Oh no this is awful!! It has been very wet, hasn't it? Maybe that makes it more likely. I do hope you have better luck next year  :( :(

Start planning next year's varieties to cheer yourselves up? (you probably have already!)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 21:37:19 by pigeonseed »

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 07:11:17 »
I've been trying to read up on what to do, and am confused as I have absolutely no experience of this.
With blight, I've managed to cut things down and still got a crop of spuds and toms, but with this what do I do?
Yesterday I went in the pouring rain and picked a few of the small varieties - blue ballet, blue kuri, potimarron, and have brought them home. I can't get to the plot today.

Do I have to pull them all up?
Can I leave some on their vines to try and ripen, or will I make the situation worse, not just for me, but other plot holders?
Or could I just pull the ones that had the infection up and hope the others are ok?
Will the ones I pick be able to be stored? - from me reading the answer is a no.....

Some help and hand holding need here folks!

And Pigeon - yes I have been trying to cheer myself up, not really succeeded so far. I just keep telling myself, they are only squash, not very precious varieties, my income doesn't depend on it etc etc. BUT!

1066  :'(  :'(   :'(   :'(  :'(

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 07:42:06 »
I was speechless when I first saw your photos  :o  dreadful!

I know they're only vegetables, but this winter squash adventure is such a long-haul with so many highs and lows and care invested in them that this kind of result is bound to get you down.

Hope you can save some.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 07:49:46 »
Oh me too! It looks like we'll be eating a lot of under ripe squash!!
As PigeonSeed mentioned I wonder about the weather - we had practically no rain for 2 months, and decent temps, and mid august onwards, cooler temps and a lot of rain. I wonder if this is part of the problem?

It is such a bummer - my garlic and my pumpkins are 2 of the main reasons I have an allotment.

As to plan b's and c's, yes I'm working on those. Will have to seriously pay attention to crop rotation over the cominng years. At present, it's fairly rough and ready - with separating out the main groups, but it looks like I'll have to add the cucurbits into the equation - and my cucumbers, this year on the plot (after trying them for several years in the garden) are great  :-X  :'(

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 07:53:14 »
Watch them carefully, the foliage may or may not be involved, check the stem carefully. Also check the fruit . turn it over, it can start by looking like a dimple or small sunken area, it takes a while to get bad. If you see what I describe pull that one, bring it home. cut out the bad bit and use the rest, they will not store and can be a stinking mess quite quickly.

Re your neighbours, if you have it, it is there pulling all your stuff up will not help them.

Check everyday,, this is the best thing to do now.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 07:59:51 »
thanks Jeannine - needed a bit of reassurance! So vigilance it is

1066 - slightly happier but not overjoyed!

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 17:05:50 »
I've got a squishy one too and then I tried to lift a couple (just a little) to put tiles underneath and they broke off at the top - I'll have to eat them soon (shame - one was a great big blue banana and I really like storing them for winter food).

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 17:10:06 »
sorry to hear that Gwynleg, I have some Blue Banana to try next year, it's meant to be lovely. Any ideas as to why it was squishy (dreadful technical term but it was the only description I could muster!!)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 17:30:38 »
We brought home 5 sunshine and another one that is supposed to be a hubbard. All safe and sound. Just the load of butternuts and the bfg that Betty gave me for a bon bon to harvest now.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 16:38:49 »
good to hear you managed to rescue some of yours Shirl  :)

Been up to the plot today, and pulled the plants up from the smallies (potimarron, blue ballet, blue kuri etc) and checked on the rest. What's peeing me off is that there are some lovely looking ones, Sucrine de Berry, and Muscade de provence, Rouge Vif D'Etamps, which I haven't grown before, and so far are nowhere near ripe. So I'll just have to hope some of them make it

1066 "Fingers crossed emoticon"

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 11:51:55 »
Hi everyone, Ive got similar problems with my pattypan & butternuts :'(
Literally 3 days ago all was ok I had a great crop of unripe squash & today many are shrivelled, brown & squishy. I have cut some that look ok off & will try to ripen the butternuts on the windowsill. I will make soup with the unripe pattypans BUT I just wanted to double check that it is ok to eat the fruit that arent squishy?

This year had been a disaster for my winter crops, all my turnips, swede, beetroot came ready so very early despite successional sowings they all came ready together, sigh ::) I dont know if any of my winter squash will store well.

My sweetcorn have recently been blown over in awful storms....my winter cabbage are huge so will have to be eaten sooner than expected....what a wierd growing year this has been :-\

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal