Author Topic: Squishy Squash - help!  (Read 8225 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: Squishy Squash - help!
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 08:02:59 »
Crystalmoon - what a year! And what a shame about the squash (and the rest)!

From what I've read the ok ones will be find to eat, but I'm certainly not an expert on this. The advice seems to be keep checking them and use at the 1st signs of anything nasty.

I'm starting to think about contacting one of the hort colleges or research centres in the uk to ask about this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

1066 - "no more new squishy squash as yet but still has her fingers crossed emoticon"

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 14:29:11 »
I've got a couple of tiddlers with that exact same look now too, only from the Queensland Blue, none of the rest affected and just two very small, late quashes which I'd seen going a bit yellow and thought they'd drop off by themselves.

Maybe, it's not as serious as we think if now, three people have it.    Is it possible they're were just not viable and the sudden cold nights and wet made them rot quickly.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 09:40:01 »
I wonder if you have a point there EarlyPea, it has been so wet after a very dry 2 months, and the temps have been low. I did wonder if it is in the seeds itself, but the Queensland seeds were from a packet that I got last year, and had no probs. Do you think yours are just rotting off then?

1066 "It's a mystery to me emoticon"

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 10:38:55 »
Do you think yours are just rotting off then?
They looked marginally end-blossomy when I saw them last Friday and then when I went again on Monday they looked just like yours - brown patches, beginning to dent.  I could take a photo if you like, they're under some stuff for burning.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 14:40:07 »
Yes maybe a photo would help.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 10:58:06 »
I had a very informative pm about my squishy squash and the poster raised some interesting points, that I thought I could share with you folk
Firstly it could be gummy stem blight, which comes in on the seeds but probably more likely to have been blown in from elsewhere.
And that this problem is now an issue for UK growers
the possible answers are to wash the squash (while still on the vines) with a weak solution of bleach, pretty much like what is recommended for squash that you have picked for storage. The bleach may kill any of the spores off.

And that if this is Gummy stem Blight then it has a marked tendency to infect squash through the cut stem or abscission layer located where the fruit meets the stem - so important when trying o store them

1066 - "a bit confused as to what I should do, but will give most things a try emoticon"

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 12:37:50 »
OK, now you've got me in a whole new panic  :-\ (I'm sure you're the same)

The gummy stem blight does look likely having googled some photos; I had noticed a leaf that looks like that and was wondering what it was because it doesn't look like mildew or dying off.  I can't see myself going down there washing them with bleach regularly enough, and there's a lot of dew now.

This is a quote from Jeannine
You can eat winter squash whenever you like really but..... they will be like courgettes. For true winter squash flavour and the ability to store them,leave them on the vine till it withers,unless frost or mildew start in which case pull them then. When you gather them in they need to be cured,outside in the sun is best but if not possible do it in a warm room, once you can no longer make a mark with your fingernail in the rind they are cured.

I'd misread that and I've been waiting until I can't make a mark with my fingernail while they are still on the vine and actually my nails are as tough as screwdrivers and I reckon I could chisel through anything with them.

My Queensland Blue look as near as d**n it ready, turning colour ever so slightly, but my nails can make a dent.  Do I bring them in???????  Is there another test?  The stems are corky, is that enough?

Help!

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 13:08:03 »
I have a favourite quote, it came from Peanuts, Charlie Brown says "don't panic PICNIC"  :D

Anyway - I've been googling images of GSB and some of mine had the black stems, I need to go and check on the leaves and what is happening there.

as to another test - the stem is a good indication - and corky would be a good way of describing them. But as you know I'm no expert, so we'll have to wait for some extra advice

1066 "still confused emoticon"

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 14:33:57 »
Blimey, you don't need this do you?

I wish Jeannine was nearby I'm sure she could hav a look and tell you. But maybe after all this research, you'll be our local squash disease expert

Dr Squash!   :)

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 17:58:57 »
Well, I made the executive decision to panic a bit, picnic a bit  8)

It's not just this disease, but it's getting very dank where my QZ Blues chose to grow - not up their allotted trellis, but on the ground by a bin and shaded by the shed and a mud wall.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2010, 09:51:40 »
Dr Squash!   :)

in the absence of experts, the clinic is now open - kind of think I look good in a white coat with a stethoscope for accessorising  ;D

1066 "with a stethoscope emoticon"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal