Author Topic: American Biscuits.  (Read 15346 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: American Biscuits.
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 18:44:52 »
You can't dunk corn bread in your tea it goes all soggy. 

asj

• Half Acre
  • Esher, Surrey
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 19:06:12 »
Waffles, maple syrup, Canadian bacon and eggs - bliss!! ;D
War on slugs and snails!!

:(

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 19:07:17 »
Biscuits, the proper English ones such as digestives, go with a nice cup of tea! 

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/biscuits/index.php3

You could call digestives British or Scottish, but theyre not English.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 19:23:49 »
Maybe not but both digestive biscuits and a cup of tea are icons of England.

http://www.icons.org.uk/nom/nominations/digestive-biscuits
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 19:30:46 »

along with Chicken Tikka Masala and several bottles of Cobra lager  :)

:(

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2010, 19:31:34 »

Shame England cant invent its own icons and has to steal them from elsewhere eh?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 19:34:09 »
I thought Mcvities orginally came from Edinburgh. 

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 19:43:40 »

Please sir

What are collard greens?

That is interesting columbus

Thanks

longalot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 19:53:15 »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2010, 21:11:03 »
Good morning all, I see you have been hqaving a great culinary discussion wjile I have been sleeping.

Collards =UK Spring Cabbage,almost

Digestives are Graham Crackers, almost .And in this case the cracker is sweet  like a biscuit (UK )not a biscuit (US) which would be a scone,but also  not like a usual US cracker which is savoury,  more like a US cookie.

Pancakes..US style are higb risen and served with whipped cream and various sweet sauces,,eg blueberry

Or as I cooked today, with smoked streaky bacon cooked till crisp, scrambled eggs and thin all meat pork sausages, with first a pat of butter between the 5 inch panckes that are stacked on top of one another John has 3 , a short stack, then with loads of Pure Maple syrup poured over the stack and running into the sausages and eggs...

Now for dinner tonight , well supper here,  I am cooking Flapjacks for afters.. but UK flapjacks of course not the US ones which are......... 

We have cookies (biscuitsUK) with tea, usually has a label on a string dangling out of the cup in a restaurant, and they dunk doughnuts here not cornbread.

I don't know anyone personally who uses Bisquick for making scones/biscuits by the way it isreally  not liked for that  and I know the recipe is on the box,. Oh and by the way I posted a recipe for home made Bisquick last week. We use it for making Impossible Quiche.

What  a hoot.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2010, 11:26:05 »
Corn bread sounds interesting. Can it be made wheat free?

The collard greens (thanks for the link) 'look' to me more like a chard than spring greens but of course it is the taste which makes the difference. I can not say that I have ever seen them in a UK shop, may be they do not grow well here.

I love looking at fruit and vegetable markets abroad and seeing varieties we do not have. Usually hotel and restaurant food is not any thing like what the locals would 'eat at home'. Quick cook for profit, perfectly understandable.

I recently found out that digestive biscuits cannot be called 'digestive' by US law, they were invented as a medical aid for sufferers of gas/wind. Apparently the word digestive could be misunderstood to indicate that they are medically beneficial to that system.

A very useful biscuit, can be served sweet with chocolate. Savory with cheese and they make a good base for cheesecakes.

Do they still make Huntley and Palmer's 'Breakfast biscuits?

Dunking in tea?, you can't beat a Hobnob for that.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2010, 11:28:55 »
Collards are identical to spring greens PH and we do get digestive biscuits here.

Cornbread is made from sweet corn flour not wheat.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2010, 12:01:24 »
perhaps when Jeannine has a moment she can move on to "Graham Crackers", and tell us whether eating them really suppresses Carnal Urges  :o

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2010, 13:38:41 »
this thread has reminded me of cornbread - which I've never made but have eaten. So I was looking at recipes on line and found several but some of them seem to add Polenta to the mix. Is that a new-fangled thing? Or are they actually better with it added?

the best one I had was a sweetcorn bread starter from Terre a Terre in Brighton - served with a salsa and avocado - YUM!

1066  :)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2010, 18:08:41 »
Jeannine are you in the US or Canada?

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2010, 21:12:47 »
 I am not going to get into an argument about scone and biscuits, to me they are interchangable, but I must tell you about the ones I made on sat,
 note I didn't say scone or biscuits but I am a Brit living in Canada about  5 miles from the Rainbow Bridge, and entrance into New York state.
 back to what I was making on sat. well  all I can say they were the worst hockey pucks any one ever made, you know they didn't even rise a teeny bit. and I had a new can of  BP, and I even used thick sour cream , you know the stuff that goes sour instead of bad... hey ho tomorrow is another day. qahtan
fruit scones, ;-)) and plain scones waiting for jam and cream, yum

« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 21:18:30 by qahtan »

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2010, 22:18:20 »
Qahtan they look delicious, and I'm sure that one or two would go down very well with a cup of tea!  :)
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2010, 03:45:27 »
They look smashing.

Tip, if they don't rise, put them through the food processor till you have crumbs, them make apple crumble with the crumbs, just add fat and sugar and pretend it is flour, it works a treat.

Buglosso . Graham crackers..do you know something I don't know??

PH I am in Canada but almost on the US border(20 minutes drive) so I do a lots of my grocery shopping there.

XX Jeannine

longalot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2010, 06:05:36 »
not to get to puny but my gram once got me a box of graham crackers from US military base shop   in the UK.
they were very interesting and had cinnamon and sugar on them.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2010, 06:43:26 »
Hastings, sorry I missed your question, Polenta IS cornmeal,which is from corn as in sweet corn or maize.

military base ??? When I was in the UK they were called army camps. Your petticoat is showing again , those US phrases, words and spellings my my;D ;D
XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal