Author Topic: American Biscuits.  (Read 15347 times)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
American Biscuits.
« on: August 14, 2010, 19:58:34 »
I have often noticed that in films and TV programmes the Americans call biscuits (or is it Bisquets?) something which looks like what we in the UK call scones.

These seem to be served with savory dishes.

Knowing we have some contributors from across the pond with experience of Anglo/American cultures. Not to mention baking skills.

Can I ask for some insight on this?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: American Biscuits.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 01:00:20 »
A US biscuit is a scone.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

longalot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 12:12:07 »
Jeannine that would be incorrect.
the difference is two things scones are sweeter and usually contain eggs.
Biscuits usually use self rising flour and lack eggs.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 12:38:15 »
I would agree with you if you were right but I make both quite regulary and my recipes are very clear and concise.They both have eggs . I also make beaten biscuits that I run through a meat grinder rayher than beat them..they don't have eggs

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:42:22 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

longalot

• Not So New ...

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 12:44:41 »
They are talking about the fillings and the way you serve them not the recipe.

Joy of Cooking proabably considered the best book in the US have both scones and biscuits.

Both have flour eggs sugar butter or lard etc etc
 The difference is in the way they are usually used.

You forget I have published 4 cookery books..you can't teach your grandmother how to suck eggs, you are going online to find out and you are only looking at some examples, even looking at your one quote contradicted you if you had read further on. You are wrong as you don't know what you are actually looking for so you can't get an overall answer in the places you are looking  Sorry PL but you are wrong this time.

XX Jeannine

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:58:41 by Jeannine »

longalot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 13:26:26 »
Jeannine any one with a few hundred quid can be published and
citing your self is form of fallacy.  

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 13:37:00 »
longalot what a load of tosh!
Citing yourself when you have the experience and knowledge as Jeannine has is well worth others knowing about and learning from.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

:(

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 13:39:43 »
I think youre both right and both wrong. Theres not a single definitive recipe for a scone or a biscuit becuase they evolved from home cooking so there are regional and country differences and then individual differences that people were taught when they were learing to bake. The recips arent that different so you could call a scone a biscuit and viceversa. Two nations divided by a common language and all that. Scones in the uk are usually sweet. Some uk recipes for scones have eggs some dont. I thought the op was asking about the southern style biscuits that are served with gravy for breakfast/brunch that are savoury and have no eggs and usually have buttermilk in them.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 13:41:20 »
I think Jeannine is talking what we call Cobblers

that is a cobbler is an unsweetened scone for savoury dishes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobbler_%28food%29

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 13:59:07 »
I have a whole heap of scone and biscuit recipes, some are sweet some are savoury, the point is they really are all bascically the same thing wherever they come form and whatever they are called, that is the point.

Well we have proved something tonight anyway

Buglossi a US cobbler goes on yop of a sweet dessert. ::)

Shall we do cookies versus biscuits next.

Can't stop laughing now..time for bed I think,

XX Jeannine

Oops back to do the spelling mistakes.

PL your comment about me being citing myself is a falacy is a fallacious remark on your part.. gota go this is just to daft. Lighten up, where's the sense of humour;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 14:09:49 by Jeannine »

:(

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 14:11:11 »
I have a whole heap of scone and biscuit recipes, some are sweet some are savoury, the point is they really are all bascically the same thing wherever they come form and whatever they are called, that is the point.

No, if something is sweet and has eggs in it can't possibly be the *same thing* as something that is savoury and has no eggs. Theyre similar in that the basis is flour/fat/liquid but theyre not the same thing.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 15:09:16 »
Aah just going to sit and relax with a cuppa and a ....erm...ah...oh something sweet and crumbly  ;) ;D
sanity is overated

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 16:18:21 »
 ::)  ::)  ::) Macmac

Language is amazing isn't it - I remember the confusion when I went to the states as a kid - soda was a classic, why would I want to drink soda water I thought?! Took me ages to figure it out, Doh!! Oh and Weequeenie mentioned gravy - US gravy, from what I remember was totally different !

Oh well off to drink a soda (with lime and ice..... )

1066  :)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 17:58:26 »

What I really want to know is what these different delicacies are eaten with.  Is there a rule about how they are served and when. Are they eaten instead of bread made with yeast perhaps?

I was also wondering if it is true that sweet pancakes or waffles and maple syrup are eaten with bacon and eggs, all on the same plate but perhaps now I am asking too much.

longalot

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 18:22:50 »
the classic dish that goes with biscuits is southern fried chicken ,Collard greens and mashed potatoes.
If your  is still confused by biscuits.
You can go with corn bread instead.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 18:30:18 »
Biscuits, the proper English ones such as digestives, go with a nice cup of tea! 

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/biscuits/index.php3
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 18:31:16 »
Hi all,  :)
My other half who is a merkin, says look at the Dennys menu
here http://www.dennys.com/en/menu.aspx?menuid=56&parentid=40
to see that yes, bacon and eggs are served with waffles etc, this also happens at McDonalds in the states and at Disney Worlds Polynesian Resort breakfast (one of my favourites). They will hold the meat for us veggies though.

A lot of people in the states will use Bisquick brand mix to make biscuits and use the recipe on the side of the box. They don`t taste the same or have the same texture as UK scones as they are made with buttermilk which is naturally sweet but they are OK to eat whenever they are served. Commonly with gravy for those who are into that.

Either way, enjoy your food, Col   ;D
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 18:34:34 »
You can go with corn bread instead.

last year I regularly made corn bread using disneys recipe its delicious.

;D

Makes my mouth water just thinking about it
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal