Author Topic: American Biscuits.  (Read 15349 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: American Biscuits.
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2010, 08:08:44 »
Hastings, sorry I missed your question, Polenta IS cornmeal,which is from corn as in sweet corn or maize.

Thanks - didn't realise that, so learnt something new today  :)

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2010, 08:15:16 »

Buglosso . Graham crackers..do you know something I don't know??

Jeanninho, Rev Graham thought eating bland foods would stop naughty thoughts I think. Like Mr Kellog

We invented Football instead for a similar reason  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2010, 10:17:22 »
I see, I must have been napping while thinking of that one XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2010, 13:03:09 »
I may well have a go at corn bread making since I can eat cornflour. I think in the UK we call it cornmeal because cornflour is a thickener called corn starch in the US. It can all get very complicated.

The tip with stale scones is a good one to make a crumble topping, in fact the moment they go cold, I think of them as stale! I actually had some do'nuts go stale and turned them into crumbs and used them as a crumble topping, have also used both when doing a treacle tart.

I feel sure that lots of recipes were made up to use up left overs and have become tasty favourites. I hate waste and am constantly finding ways to avoid it.

Some one told me that scones were always made in their farmhouse when the milk turned a little sour to use it up. Cream of tartar should be added to the flour if the milk, used to bind, is not sour. I did add cream of tartar to my mix and to be sure the scones were better for it. 

Does any one still do cheese scones? They were quite an afternoon tea time fad at one time, as a savory, buttered and served, open, often with a prettilly arranged slices of cucumber on top.  No doubt that was to get rid of the sour milk and stale cheese.

We are so lucky to have our fridges and plastic containers. Cling film and tin foil.

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2010, 20:11:57 »
=Jeannine
They look smashing.

Tip, if they don't rise, put them through the food processor till you have crumbs, them make apple crumble with the crumbs, just add fat and sugar and pretend it is flour, it works a treat.

PH I am in Canada but almost on the US border(20 minutes drive) so I do a lots of my grocery shopping there.

XX Jeannine

Thanks Jeannine, yes  I have done things like that before. ;-)))))

I see you are almost as close to the US border as I am.
 though I haven't been over there in some time now as my passport has run out, but they do have stuff over there that no way can we get in Canada. My daughter goes over quite often she has just renewed passports, 2 adults and 4 children, that hurts.. she crosses at Sarnia to Detroit, we sometimes used to do  Fort Erie to Buffalo but most used to be Niagara  Falls, Canada to  Niagara Falls, New York,,, have you ever been over to this side,, you are British aren't you, qahtan

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2010, 20:37:30 »
Qahtan, I don't think you need your passport, you can use your citizenship papers or if not a citizen yet you use the other document , the landed immigrtant one, orI never took out citizenship so I have this card. cost me $30 but it is for life. If you have  an enhanced driving license I think that works too but it must say enhanced on it and you can ony get it if you have been in the country for 3 years. My passport is British.

I have my card in my hand , it is a Permanent resident card, I think that is enough. My passport runs out in a bout a month so I will check and let you know for sure.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

qahtan

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2010, 20:53:36 »
My last passport ran out a few years ago, but the last time I went over the border the customs told me it was almost out of date,,,,,,,
 We have been in Canada 44 years and have been a citizen for 34 years.
 we always used to take our passport plus our citizen papers.
 We do have Canadian passport, well I think Gerry's runs out this year, as he went back to UK when his brother was very sick,,,,
 I think if you renew your British passport as it was it is now Northern European, and its dark red....... qahtan

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2010, 21:43:06 »
I just checked it out, I can't go with just my permanent residence card and no passport but apparently John can as he is a citizen, and if you have the enhanced driving license which you have to be a citizen to get you don't need your passport. This is only good if you are driving a
cross..different of you are flying in and out. At least that is what customs just told me.

My UK passport runs out on the 21st Aug in a few days, I better make that US trip tomorrow or I am out of luck. it is taking 12 weeks for a passport renewal currently.. I am an idiot, I can't think why it slipped my  mind.

Thank you for reminding me to check!!

No I have never been over that side,we always seem to go South..

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 21:46:39 by Jeannine »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2010, 22:35:00 »
I have family in Sarnia and friends in Quebec.

qahtan

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2010, 17:00:49 »
I have made them without eggs..... qahtan

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2010, 06:49:36 »
The US are going to start charging for their Visa Waiver in October. As these last for two years, if you need one, get one straight away.

They can be applied for on line.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2010, 14:11:57 »
Canadians don't need  visas

qahtan

• Hectare
Re: passports
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2010, 16:36:14 »
  We are British subjects with Canadian citizenship. Checked with our customs at Rainbow Bridge. They said we do need an up to date passport to be able to return to Canada.

British visitors need their passport plus they have to pay $6 entrance into the U S. to be paid at the U S side.
 But that wiil allow them multiple visits until they return to UK then the paper has to be handed in at point of exit..........

qahtan

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal