Author Topic: Make your own convenience foods  (Read 9358 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Make your own convenience foods
« on: August 08, 2010, 10:11:04 »
We live in a busy world and there are tons of boxed convenience foods that turn into a meal very quickly with something usually fresh added.

Here in North America we have things called Hamburger Helper,,hamburger is what is mince in the UK, so you buy this packet of noodles, seasonings etc, Brown a pound of mince, add water and the box and you have an instant meal,There are several ones, including one for canned Tuna.

We have a product called Shake and Bake,, chuck your chicken, fish,pork chops etc in a plastic bag withe the Shake and Bake in, shake till covered then   bake.. again several flavours for fish. pork, chicken etc. The chicken cooked like this is excellent.

Trouble is they are not cheap.So I make them myself.

Over the years I have collected ,invented etc reipes for making my own. I have a convenience day when I make them all up so they are there when I want them.

Same when I make my breakfast muffins, I make a kit ahead so can just chuck it in the mixer, add the wet ingredients and voila.

I have one for bread, for a machine, just add water to the prebagged mix and it is going in half a minute.

Another one is a basic cookie mix, all ready to go, just add bits at the last minute.

I also have recipes for lots of food clones.

I even have one for making your own spray for your cake tins , it is called Pam here not sure there.

Bisquick is a great product , available in the UK, makes impossible Quiche, but with a home made Bisquick it is not only easy but cheap too.

Home made Cheese Whiz is easy and cheap  too.

Fluffy US pancake mix all ready to go is a real time saver and 1/3rd of the price of bought mix.

Home made KFC and their coleslaw id easy to make.

McDonalds secret sauce,

What do you think? I don't live on convenience foods but they do come in handy.

Any above I will type out if anyone is interested

I wonder if anyone else does this, and should we share recipes

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Make your own convenience foods
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 13:29:44 »
Unfortunately I don't have any recipes Jeannine, intolerance problems but I think it's a really good idea for a thread.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 14:01:49 »
Jeannine it is time you wrote a book.  Gardening, recipes and tales from your allotment.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 14:59:28 »
Hi Jeannine,

What a brilliant idea and how wonderfully organised you are.

Would love the recipes for the:-

Fluffy pancake mix

KFC coleslaw and the Breakfast Muffins.

Sinbad

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 21:20:14 »
I think you will have quite a lot of recipe typing to do Jeannine!

I, for one, would love your recipes for Bisquick, Cheese Whiz, breakfast muffins and the Shake and Bake mixes.

I often make the impossible quiches using my own variations, but Bisquick is expensive and Cheese whiz is, as far as I know, not available here. I used to love it when I lived in Calgary. The Shake and Bake mixes sound like a very good idea - and time-saving too. I make up my own bread mixes and keep them in the fridge ready to use.

A big thank you in advance  :-*

Tricia

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 22:39:37 »
Ok, I will do them as and when I can, I promise. Can't right now though as this is a quick visit, I am  bean blanching.. then berries to pick.

Huntin' and Gatherin' day today

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

jazzidoodle

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 22:48:14 »
i agree about the book you have so much to share  and i for one cannot get enough of your tips and recipes! Thankyou.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 00:18:41 »
What is Bizquck and cheese whiz?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 00:28:59 »
How sweet, you make me sound like my Mum..grand old gal. I enjoy cooking , growing etc so I guess I   would save tips.

It has just started to rain so came back online.

You will need a blender or food processor for some of the recipesYou will also need liquid Lecithin, you can get it from health food stores, it enables you to blend oils with other liquids without seperating. it.s a must have for me.

You will also need a cup measure, something that holds 8 fluid ounces or 250 ml and a set of measuring spoons, you can use a 5ml spoon that comes with medicines if you don't have a set.
 5ml = 1 teaspoon     3 teaspoons= 1 tablespoon..(Australian measuring  tablespoons are 4 teaspoons by the way)  This is not the same as a teaspoon from your cutlery set.

You can get a set of cup measures and spoon measures from Tescos or most other places now, it makes no difference if they are metric or not, they all work out the same  apart from the OZ one mentioned abov.Spoon sets are 1/8 through to 1 teaspoon. Cups are 1/4 through to 1 cup

Always use them level.

***********************************************************************************

GEE WHIZ... clone of Cheese Whiz

In processor whiz..

1/2 cup water  and 1 teaspoon of lecithin
Gradually add and whiz in 3/4 pound of sharp Cheddar cheese cut into cubes' if a little moist which will depend on the cheese used, you can add non fat dry milk powder,still whizzing until it is just right, it should be spreadable but a spoonful will stand up without wilting.

Scrape into jar and keep  in fridge, serve on bread or melt on  hot veggies,great for au gratin spuds or just nice melted on toast. It will make about a pound.

***********************************************************************************
note.. UK mince..Canadian and US hamburger or ground beef..it is all the same thing..MINCED BEEF and don't ask me why they call  it  hamburger in some places..it seems daft to me too!!

These recipes are great for college studenst having to cook for themselves.

ITALIAN  GROUND BEEF ASSISTER clone of Hamburger Helper

Line up a row of zippy bags folded over at the top so they stay open, and in each one put...

8 ounces of uncooked flat broad noodles
1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
1/4 teaspoon of ground oregano
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground basil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Pack all bags and keep in cool place till you need one then...............

In frying pan, brown 1lb ground beef(mince)
Add 3 1/2 cups of water
bring to boil and add 1 packet of your mix
Add  an  8 ounce can of seasoned of tomato sauce. or 1 cup of home made, you can use puree  if you prefer, just adjust the salt.

Simmer it about 20 minutes  till noodles are done, Serve with grated parmesan cheese. Will save 4 ordinary folks or 2 big eaters!!

STROGANOFF-STYLE ASSISTER

Bags as above.

8 ounces of medium noodles
1cup of dry non aft milk
1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspon salt
1/8 teaspoon of ground black pepper

seal bags.

When you want to use this one...

Brown 1lb of ground beef (mince) in a fry pan.
Add 1 cup of sliced mushrooms or a small can with liquid.
4 cups water
1 tablespoon white vinegar..you could use others but the taste will vary a little..not crucial though

Bring to the boil and add 1 bag of your mix

Simmer 20 minutes till noodles are soft.

MACERONI CHEESE ASSISTER clone of Meaty Mac and Cheese

Bgas as before

8 ounces of maceroni
1 cup dried non fat milk
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Seal bags

When ready to cook
Brown 1lb of ground beef(mince)
Add,4 cups water
Bring to boil and add 1 bag of your mix

Simmer for 20 minutes and stir in 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese

Simmer gently until cheese is melted through.

TUNA and NOODLES ,clone of Tuna Helper

Bags as before

8 ounces of egg noodles
1 cup of dried fat free milk
1 tablespoon of plain flour (all purpose in the US)
1 tespoon paprika
2 teaspoons of dred celery leaves
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt

seal bags

When ready to cook

Bring to boil..4 cups of water
Add 1 cup pf your mix
simmer 15 minutes then add 1 6 1/2  or 9 ounce can of tuna, you can use either oil or water packed
If you use water packed add a pat of butter.

Simmer 5 more minutes

TUNA CHEESE SUPPER. clone of Tune Mac

bags as before

8 ounces of maceroni
1 cup of dried non fat milk
1/2 teaspoon  ground thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground
1 teaspoon salt

Bring to boil in an oiled pan 4 cups water
Add 1 packet of mix
Simmer 15 minutes
Add a 6 1/2 ounce  or 9 ounce  can of tuna
I cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
Simmer another 5 minutes till noodles are soft

VARIATIONS ON ALL ABOVE

You can use a  can of tuna instead of the beef in the Italian one or use pork intsead of beef. Youcan even use cooked chicken instead of the tuna in the tuna assister. Or swap the cheeses for a different flavour.

Let your imagination be your guide..kids like doing all of the above.

Have fun..gotta get a cuppa , I will be back

XX Jeannine

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 00:33:00 »
Bisquick is a boxed floury mix that you can use to make scones, pancakes all sorts of stuff,it is available in the UK, but in wee little expensive boxes.

Cheese Whiz is a spreadable Cheddar cheese in a jar.

XX Jeannine

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 01:41:07 »
I make our breakfast granola which we like on yogurt since boxed is expensive with barely any visible almonds. Takes no time at all  to mix up a couple pounds of it.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 02:25:19 »

"Cheese Whiz is a spreadable Cheddar cheese in a jar."

Umm.  Spreadable and in a jar,  Ok

Cheese, Cheddar, ?   I think not.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 06:20:27 »
It was  just a  description dot..not a  claim to fame. Sometimes I wonder why I bother  ::)

GrannieAnnie, I have a couple of granola recipes but would like more, would you mind popping yours on please.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 07:55:00 »
As promised...more..

BISTRICK..clone of Bisquick

In food processor or blender(liquidiser in the UK I think)

4 cups plain flour(all purpose US/Canada
2/3rd cup of dried non fat milk
3 tablespoons of  double acting baking powder,
1 teaspoon salt

whiz until well blended.

Add 1/2 cup of oil and blend in.

Store in covered container in fridge.

I will pop on a recipe for Impossible Quiche to use with this later.

NON STICK SPRAY..clone of Pam

If you buy these kinds of sprays you know they work and they are made from lecithin.

In a small jar put 1 cup vodka and 4 teaspoons of liquid lecithin..shake well it will combine OK

You can put it in a spray bottle or keep it in a jar that has a brush in the lid and wipe it on, or use paper towel. either way it will make your baking tin or pan non stick, it works great, it is far cheaper than buying the sprays , the vodka burns off.

Home made coatings for covering chops, chicken etc are called Shake and Bake in the US,quite pricey but you can make your own very easily..start with home made bread crumbs

I save bits of bread and chuck them in the freezer till I have enough then turn them into breadcrumbs

Thaw, then break into small pieces, (you can use fresh bread too) pop them in the oven when you are cooking something else on low, you don't want to make them brown much, just make them very hard.Or leave them in for a few hours on the lowest setting.
Then run them through your processor till they are just hard crumbs...use as follows.

BASIC COATING

2 cups crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1  teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground basil
1 teaspoon dried celery leaves
1 teaspoon parika

Blend till fine and store in jar. To use put some in plastic bag, drop your moisened meat in a couple of pieces at a time , fasten so there is lots of air in bag,shake till coated then place on oiled tray and bake in oven .

For beef , the  mix as above but add 1 teaspoon of marjoram or oregano,bake on 300 deg oven till meat is cooked through, it is difficult to say exactly with beef as it varies in size so much. I only use this one for cutlets myself. It works for veal  cutlets too but as I  don't eat veal I can't help you with cooking times..

For chicken , the mix as above but add 1 teaspoon of ground thyme and 1 teaspoon of  ground sage, bake skin on , bone  in parts for about 45 minutes at 350f, for skinless add oil to baking tray, and for breast add oil if skinned and cook a little less.

For pork chops , the mix as above but add 1 teaspoon of ground tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon of allspice. Bake for about 45 minutes at 350f, chops will not be dried out.

Don't use excessive oil on trays.

The chicken one we use all the time, with a side salad, a corn cob, baked potato with butter and sour cream and garlic bread.

********************************************************************************************

PANCAKE MIX.clone of Aunt Gemimas

2 cups of  plain flour
2 cups whole wheat flour.. you can use all white is you wish
2 cups of cornmeal or buckwheat
4 cups of nonfat  dried milk
1 tablespoon salt
6 tablespoons of double acting baking powder

Mix together well, stir in  air tight container, does not need fridge.

This will make 10 1/2 cups enough for 7 batches of pancakes (10 per batch)
 When you want to make them you need in a processor

2 beaten eggs
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 cup water or milk
1 1/2 cups of your mix.

Spoon onto hot griddle or frypan greased with butter, pour so they are about 5 inches.

Cook on one side, they will puff up, flip and cook other side, they should be lightly browned.

Stack with a pat of butter between, they should be well risen unlike UK pancakes.

Serve with  maple syrup or pancake syrup

I will put a homemade pancake syrup on shortly.

*******************************************************************************************

Time for another cuppa XX Jeannine

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:25:07 by Jeannine »

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 13:00:50 »
It was  just a  description dot..not a  claim to fame. Sometimes I wonder why I bother  ::)

GrannieAnnie, I have a couple of granola recipes but would like more, would you mind popping yours on please.

Granola ( this is for prune granola but I use raisins or cranberries- really you could use anything you like)

1/2 cup honey and 1/2 cup veg oil in a saucepan and heat til just under boil.
Throw that onto : 1 lb rolled oats, 1/2 cup sesame seeds (sometimes I use sunflower seeds but most of time I just add sliced almonds and no seeds) and 1 Cup wheat germ  (I usually just use more rolled oats)
Mis well and spread  mix on two cookie sheets and bake 325 F about 25 min. stirring occasionally til very light brown.
Remove from oven and add either snipped prunes or raisins or dried cranberries.    Makes about 3 lbs.  Keep in zip lock baggy.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 14:05:26 »
Jeannine - you are a star  :-*. Thank you so much for all that work. I've printed out the ones I need and they have been added to my recipe file.

I'm in the middle of making my annual quota of piccallilli for gifts at Christmas. Don't know why, but it seems to be very popular around that time.

Tricia

jazzidoodle

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 15:23:23 »
You are WONDERFUL very many thanks - now you know what to do in the winter months as well as the winter garden - GET WRITING.

Very many thanks.

:) :) :) :D :D ;

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 19:54:58 »
My daughter loves to buy convenience foods and they often come in those microwave containers which can be re-used. (after washing)

They are great for me because even though I am on a gluten free diet, I can make too much and put the extra in them, freeze them. Then I have a perfect meal to make up in the microwave.

The re-heating instructions are based on quantity and weight so the containers are made so that when re-used the food can be reheated as per the instructions.

I have a rather expensive microwave which has settings for re-heating and will, by weight  thaw and even re-heat judging the temperature of the food by some automatic process. AEG is the make and it was well worth the money I paid for it several years ago.

I never use the oven or grill functions on it but it is pure genius getting solid meat out  of the freezer and thawing it so that it will cook perfectly without being tough.

It must have saved me a fortune over the years making extra portions and freezing them and I know exactly what is in my food because I made it.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 20:09:32 »
Still some to come..

I had to dig out one of my old handwritten books( I have about a dozen)  to find the Amish Frendship bread posted on another thread and have just found chocolate beetroot muffins,double choc muffins,rhubarb muffins,Toblerone cheescake,Grasshopper pie, Dr Ruths almost as good as sex Cheesecake, My two very good pumkin pie recipes..took years to get right,Alfajores from SA, KFC chicken clone, My absolute favourite stuffing recipe for Turkey. KFC gravy clone.A recipe for old fashioned faggotts,beetrrot chutney, Appe and sloe jelly,Rowan jelly,a super Antipasto recipe,KFC potato salad clone, a mint sauce recipe than you can bottle and keep.KFC coleslaw clone,

Thank you. I have so many of these journals I have written recipes in over the years I forget where things are as they are not in any order ;D

I shouldn't hoard. I have stuff on how to make paper, dyes,  whatever it is in there somewhere.

Anything to do with homemaking, it all there somewhere ::)

One day I will pop off and it will all go in the garbage no doubt.

I will post the KFC ones later today as I promised..

XX Jeannine

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 11:01:25 »
Jeannine it is time you wrote a book.  Gardening, recipes and tales from your allotment.

My thoughts exactly, Digeroo!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal