Author Topic: Make your own convenience foods  (Read 9323 times)

Sinbad7

• Hectare
Re: Make your own convenience foods
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 16:19:11 »
Brilliant Jeannine, you certainly are a star.

I'm trying the shake and bake for my pork chops tonight.

Many thanks.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 23:28:12 »
Loved the shake and bake Jeannine, wont be using anything else for my pork chops now, many thanks for sharing that recipe.

Any chance when you are not too busy with the KFC coleslaw?

Sinbad

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 00:08:54 »
I am so glad you liked it.

I haven't forgotten but I just typed out pumpkin pie recipes in a other thread so fingers need a break for long stuff.I will do it tonight though.

You can use that recipe for fish too by the way, just change the herbs to what you prefer in your fish.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 05:28:24 »
I am sorry but I have a problem, I just came online to write it and realised  the recipe I make includes a  packet of Italian seasoning mix for salad  that you can't get in the UK so I can't do it for you There are hundreds of recipes on the net for KFC clones some are silly and some are fine, I could just pick one out but that would be a bit daft really so I will let you, there is a particularly good one that has a video too, I will find that one for you. It is English so you will be able to get all the stuff.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2009/jul/24/kfc-secret-recipe-revealed?showAllComments=true

If you like I can give you my own fried chicken recipe that has nothing to do with KFC  but we like it better as sometimes the KFC is a bit salty.  I will be happy to post it if you want to have a go. It is crisp and tender but not so heavily seasoned.

Let me know. XX Jeannine

« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:38:09 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 07:24:15 »
Your recipes sound a lot healthier than the originals!

Just googled Bisquick (its something I remember from the 70s) and there is 4.5g of trans-fats per cup. Yikes.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 16:06:02 »
Hi Jeannine,

Yes, would love your own fried chicken recipe.  I did put the pork chop shake and bake on the chicken too and it was fine.  Chicken seems so bland these days that it is good to spice it up a bit.

Only when you have time though as I read in another post you were having to make some adjustments in your life.  Hope it has really gone well for you.

Sinbad

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 17:16:34 »
Great ideas Jeannine.

For your BASIC COATING, can it be re-freezed once it's all mixed together?

Neil

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2010, 23:37:55 »
It doesn't need freezing at all, it will keep as any dry stuff would.I just keep it in a jar with a tight lid. If you dry the breadcrumbs really well it is no different to keeping cornflakes.

If you are freezing bits of bread till you have enough it is OK as you are basically cooking them by thoroughly drying them out in the oven  before you make the coating and  so they will keep. It is not the same as defrosting bread then freezing it again, you have changed the form it is quite safe.

I will pop my own chicken on for you shortly.

XX Jeannine

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2010, 19:10:58 »
Looking forward to the fried chicken recipie  ;D
One of my fave's, but sadly only have it once in a while.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 20:48:28 »
Just reading old posts and found this one unfinished..sorry I will; post this recipe in the next couple of days.

XX Jeannine

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2011, 21:02:21 »
Jeannine, every time my SiL fancies KFC I tell him about your recipe. It would be great to have it.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2011, 21:14:04 »
I can't do the KFC one as it has an ingredient that you can;t get in the UK.I was going to post my own fried chicken recipe.

XX Jeannine

pumkinlover

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2011, 21:18:37 »
Thanks for bringing this back to the fore again ( I was going to put bringing it back up but that did not seem suitable :-X )

I've book marked the page for future reference :)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2011, 21:30:36 »
I've tried out a few "clone" recipes from this site, and some are pretty good: http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/home.php

He even does the KFC coleslaw, but I prefer my own recipe to the sloppy oversweetened KFC's version!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2011, 22:13:48 »
Interesting thread. A colleague loves KFC coleslaw, so will pass to her. Now, I am addicted to Lidl's cheese coleslaw...if anyone ever cloned that I would gain several pounds :)

edit to show cheese coleslaw
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 22:30:07 by Hector »
Jackie

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2011, 22:23:59 »
Jeannine it is time you wrote a book.  Gardening, recipes and tales from your allotment.

My thoughts exactly, Digeroo!

Likewise - I would buy it!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2011, 23:03:26 »
My Fried Chicken...not a convenience food as it actually takes a while but having tweaked the recipe over the years to get it just right for me..I like it.

Recipe will do 1 large chicken although the brine will do more, I usually do two

To two cups of Kosher salt add 2 quarts of water and stir to dissolve salt to make a brine.

Put all your cut up chicken in the brine, seperate drumsticks from  thighs etc  and leave bones in. I end up with the following from 1 chicken . Leave the skin on

2 drumsticks
2 thighs.
2 wings but I include part of the breast cut at an angle
1 pointed breast piece(opposite end to the wings)
2 more breast pieces

This leaves the back which goes in  the freezer for soup later.

After the chicken has been in the brine for 2 hours( refrigereated) drain it and pat it dry

For 1 chicken,mix together(double for 2)
2 eggs
half  cup buttermilk ( or use just milk)
1 level 5 ml teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons oregano or thyme..each gives it`s own flavour or you can do half and half or add a little powdered sage
If you are a pepper freak then add some to your taste.
quarter cup  of cornmeal..this is important.

Coat chicken with the above mix, then shake each piece into a bag that has flour in.

Now pat dry and put uncovered if fridge for 2 hours.. you want the chicken to be dry .

For frying you need a good deep frying pan about 3 inches deep is good,

use the oil of your choice, I use safflower or sunflower. it needs to be 1 inch deep.

Heat it to 365F..please check as if wrong the chicken will not cook right..too quick and it will  be underdone when brown, too slow and it will go soggy.

Place pieces in hot oil,  dont overcrowd them.. cover the pan for the first 5 minutes.

Turn after 5 minutes, then  leave the lid off.

It will take 18- 20 minutes, it will be mahogony coloured and the internal temp will be 166-165

Dont leave it unattended and watch the heat of your oil.

There is no real work to it apart from frying time but you have to start early, you can leave it in the fridge with coating on for longer but not in the brine.

Go one I dare you..

XX Jeannine

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 23:06:41 by Jeannine »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal