Author Topic: Feral cat update  (Read 12752 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Feral cat update
« on: August 06, 2010, 17:22:48 »
I've written about feral cats at our allotments before but I thought those cat-lovers here might like an update.
I started feeding a feral cat at our allotments last year.  I do like cats but can't have one because my two terriers would try to kill it.  Anyway, I started off by feeding this one
[attachment=1]
She comes every day and over time has got so used to me that as soon as I get to the plot she is there, waiting for her food.  She will sit just a foot or so away but doesn't actually come close enough for me to try to touch her.
Then this one started to come.
[attachment=2]
It looks quite similar to the first one but has tabby patches instead of tortie ones.  It isn't so friendly as the first one but is slowly getting used to me.
Then this one appeared
[attachment=3]
I've been told that because of the colouring this one is definitely a female.  She is as friendly as the first one and watches me while I work.  
A couple of days ago, this one turned up
[attachment=4]
This one looks quite different to the others and is very nervous of me, at the moment.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
Re: Feral cat update
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 17:26:12 »
they are definately informing each other where they can be onto a good thing!  What cuties :-)

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 17:28:59 »
they are definately informing each other where they can be onto a good thing!  What cuties :-)

This is something I've been wondering about.  How do the new ones find out about my cat cafe?
 They are beautiful cats and I don't mind feeding them.  Mind you, if hundreds turn up I might change my mind.  :o
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 18:03:35 »
We have one on our site a fluffy black cat as far as i can see as no one ever gets very close to it. I am quite happy it's around it doesn't cause any problems and probably helps keep down the mouse and rat population.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 07:34:20 »
My daughter had a similar thing going on in her garden. She ended up with 4 or 5 but is now down to the original one. They call her Kitty but others have different names as she is fed by most of the road but seems to call daughters garage home. Daughter has asthma & granddaughter is allergic to cats so she can't go in the house but will sit on the step & watch what is going on.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 08:35:13 »
I only saw the one when I came but they all look really healthy cats Betty.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 08:49:17 »
Thanks for the update  :) they all have such lovely colouring, and do look healthy.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 09:40:06 »
Lovely.  Do they deter the pigions?

Bees do a little dance.  Blackbirds have a particular pink pink pink call when they see a cat.  I don't see why cats cannot tell each other where to find food. 

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 10:26:22 »
Good for you, bless your heart, it is very kind of you.. really touched me XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 10:48:14 »
I've just seen a kitten this morning!  It was with the first cat, the white and tortie one but when it saw me it ran away frightened.  I would guess it's about 10 weeks old and is tabby without any white.  Mum kept following me this morning, almost as if she was trying to show me that she had a kitten with her.

Digeroo - you are right about the blackbirds, that's how I can always tell that the cats are around.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 17:47:12 »
Why don't you tell everyone how you call the cats Betty ;D
                             I want em saying

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 17:49:57 »
Why don't you tell everyone how you call the cats Betty ;D

Doesn't everyone whistle their cats?  ???
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 07:28:18 »
Ah but what tune Squash?

Born Free ............................... as free as the wind blows ..........................   ::)  ::)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 08:23:04 »
Sometimes its"I taut I saw a puddytat a cweeping up on me" ;D
                             I want em saying

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 09:47:55 »
Well done Betty for being so good to your little army of feral cats. They are all so beautiful.  They look content enough with having you as their human slave to feed them. Its a pity though that they are left to constantly have kittens who in turn will have more kittens. Cats protection could lay humane traps for you to catch them and they would spay and nueter them free of charge. The hardened ferals could be returned to your lovely site to continue to live in freedom and luxury and the younger ones tamed and found loving new homes.  Hope you dont think im sticking my nose in being a newby but im thinking of you and the cats in the long term, better to have a few ferals to enjoy than a huge amount of cats to worry about :)

Linda

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 10:09:40 »
Betty does have the ferals neutered. This latest one is a new comer. Knowing Betty she will have  been on to the Cats Protetion league already.
 They will of course rehome the kit if possible and neuter the mother.
Being new on this forum you will not be familiar with Bettys posts about her ferals.
Welcome to A4A.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 10:12:15 by shirlton »
                             I want em saying

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 14:36:20 »
then of course there is always "Everybody Wants to Be a Cat" from the Aristocats  ;D  ;D  ;D

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 15:21:34 »

Oh bless!!-There was a colony of ferals on my allotments in Leeds.  I`m sure the late `Conker` was an offspring. I found him stuck up a horse chestnut tree,when a kitten, between the house and my allotments and he had all the markings of the ferals.

He was a true `allotment cat` the times I found him sitting under a cold frame or hunting for rabbits.

He moved with us and could be very affectionate but never lost his hunting nature-he would go almost a mile to the gravel quarry to bring rabbits home. One day he didn`t-I have seen double decker buses stop to allow him to cross busy roads in Leeds-but I guess his luck ran out one day-he made it to 9 though so for a cat of his nature that`s not bad

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 15:37:30 »
Well done Betty for being so good to your little army of feral cats. They are all so beautiful.  They look content enough with having you as their human slave to feed them. Its a pity though that they are left to constantly have kittens who in turn will have more kittens. Cats protection could lay humane traps for you to catch them and they would spay and nueter them free of charge. The hardened ferals could be returned to your lovely site to continue to live in freedom and luxury and the younger ones tamed and found loving new homes.  Hope you dont think im sticking my nose in being a newby but im thinking of you and the cats in the long term, better to have a few ferals to enjoy than a huge amount of cats to worry about :)

Linda

Hi Linda and welcome,

No, of course I don't mind you giving advice about the cats.  :)
I have always had dogs and my dogs have always hated cats so although I do like cats,  I need all the help I can get.

Alan, from the Cats Protection visited us this morning and we discussed having our cats neutered.  He is going to bring a trap and we will hopefully be able to get on with it.  We had help from him last year when we had a lovely ginger tom done.  (We brought the tom back here after the op and we haven't seen him since!)

We are very grateful to the CP and try to support them as much as we can.  They are having a stall at our Summer Fayre this Saturday, and we give them surplus vegetables for one of their members to make into chutney etc which she sells fot their funds.

Do you have cats yourself?  Ragdolls?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 20:34:48 »
Betty I am sorry, I think I jumped the gun a bit spouting off about neutering and spaying. Shirl put me right that you already got cats done by cats protection. They are so good at getting  cats done for people. I bet they are more than happy to help out as you obviously do such a kind job in feeding and looking out for them.The cats are very clever they have got the best life absoloute freedom and a regular meal ;)

Yes as my nickname implies I have Ragdoll cats 5 in total and one RagdollxPersian, all cats to me are adorable and I couldnt live without one.

Too bad the ginger tom dissapeared after he got the chop. Knowing gingers very well I bet he has his paws firmly under the table of some adoring new owner (although you never truely own a cat, they just honour you with their pressance.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal