Author Topic: What to do with bumper crop of radish  (Read 3550 times)

queenbee

• Acre
What to do with bumper crop of radish
« on: June 21, 2010, 22:51:15 »
Does anyone know of a way of using radish apart from using in salads, I have a bumper crop far too many for us,
I will share with neighbours etc. but would love to hear if anyone out there has any recipe ideas.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

cacran

• Hectare
Re: What to do with bumper crop of radish
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 22:24:01 »
My problem too.Can you cook them??

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 23:10:03 »
'Wish I had your problem -mine were rubbish this year  :(

Just a thought why is this post in the wildlife forum ???
sanity is overated

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 23:08:16 »
That bloke who does River Cottage on TV (you must have seen him,  looks like the hair comb needs inventing) uses them in stock. Not only the nice red bits but the greens too.

Personally I think that they are a load of easy to grow rubbish and wont grow them at all but suggest them to newbies and kids for something to prove that the "can grow something quick"

I am afraid that any one who brags about a bumper harvest of raddishes, is um....ready to progress.

They are excellent for the compost..........

happy larry

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 22:11:20 »
You could use then in a stir fry,as you would water chestnuts.But only add them (sliced)for the last minute of cooking.Another good way with radish is to coarsely grate some into a plastic jug,add a teaspoon of horseradish a very small shake of nutmeg or mace,stir well cover jug with clingfilm then microwave for 1min,stir then microwave for a further minute,serve with beef.hth Paul

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 08:01:48 »
Hi. its good when things work isnt it, even if others are rather impolite. Remember next time, just plant a few at a time so the crop comes over a long perioad.
Well done. Its always good to give.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 16:12:50 »
I hope I'm not too late.  This is a recipe using mooli or large white radish, but it could be adapted to use your radish.

CHINESE MIXED PICKLES

2 carrots
1 large Chinese white radish
1 large cucumber
1 red pepper and 1 green pepper
4 sticks celery
4” piece if green ginger’
8 shallots (spring onions)

PICKLING LIQUID

2¼ cups sugar
2¼ cups white vinegar (distilled malt)
1 teaspoon salt
1¼ cups water

Combine all pickling liquid ingredients in a saucepan, stir over a low heat until sugar dissolves; bring to boil.  Remove from heat and cool.

Wash all veg.  Peel carrots and Chinese radish, cut into thin strips.  Cut cucumber lengthwise, remove seeds, cut into strips.  Wash and seed peppers, cut into strips.  Slice celery diagonally.  Peel ginger, slice thinly.  Slice shallots diagonally.

Put a large saucepan on water on to boil, bring to fast boil.  Add prepared vegetables, then remove from heat immediately.  Leave veg in water for two minutes.

Strain veg, reserving liquid. spread on absorbent paper over wire rack for several hours to dry.

Pack veg firmly into preserving jars.  Pour on cold liquid into jar, making sure vegetables are completely covered.  Stand one week before using.

valmarg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal