Author Topic: Feral cat update  (Read 12755 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: Feral cat update
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 18:54:06 »
I reckon you have earned the title of Catwoman Betty

My new avatar looks just like me doesn't it Shirl?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2010, 07:59:54 »
Thats better. Now I won't have to put my hand over your avatar any more. I may just change my avatar, getting abit bored with tehse bloomin meercats
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2010, 08:13:06 »
You do such good work with the cats Betty and I love to read about them  :)

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2010, 08:46:35 »
Thats better. Now I won't have to put my hand over your avatar any more. I may just change my avatar, getting abit bored with tehse bloomin meercats

Didn't you like the thingy I had before then Shirl?  You never complained when you were holding a real one the other day.  ;)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2010, 08:55:28 »
You do such good work with the cats Betty and I love to read about them  :)

Thank you, that's very kind of you  :)

I've never thought of myself as being a 'cat person' before but I really like all our ferals (and Felix too of course) but I think I am slowly being converted. 

Of the four I feed every day on my plot only one is still jumpy when he sees me.  He runs a short way away and then sits and watches me while I put the food out.  The others either follow me, or run towards me like the one yesterday did. 

I don't know if cats learn behaviour from other cats or not?  I wonder if Triangle the kitten will learn to be friendly because he sees Felix coming for a fuss?

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2010, 09:25:51 »
If you feed them they will be your friends for life and gradually trust you more.  Poor Charlie was in a terrible state, long haired and matted underneath. Used to chuck food out the back door and after a few weeks got to trust me.  Now I can brush him, cut the lumps out and hold him upside down (only to get at the lumps), but I have had him for 18 years now.  I don't believe where the time has gone.  'Hoover' (Gabbana) is a bit nervous and comes in the cat flap and eats the food if I am not in the kitchen but Dulce talks to me and paws my face (without scratching) but does have a good bite and scratch of my feet in bed.  Be careful as cats can talk or communicate with each other and before you know you will be feeding the whole cat population in your area. Do Cats Protection vaccinate and de-flea or will you have to pay for any vets visit if they get ill. Vets are expensive nowadays.  I am going to put a notice on my front door, NO MORE CATS.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2010, 16:23:32 »
I really believe there is such a thing as cat culture. We have two cats who learned that there is water for them in the bathroom and a glass on the bedside table too. When we introduced two other cats to the house it took about six months before there was a queue at the bathroom glass most nights. The new cats had never drunk from a glass before, but had learned what to do.

Nightly medication for one of them has become a ritual too, after the Metacam there are ham/cheese treats available so everyone gets themselves ready at about 9pm. I know this is all about food, but it seems to me that they love the ritual as much as the grub!

Cat Culture rules in our house! Your cats clearly know where they are safe and cared for Betty, more power to your elbow!

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2010, 16:46:41 »
I managed to get a photo of the latest kitten this morning.  He waited till Felix and Triangle had finished eating then he crept out from underneath the pavilion and ate the leftovers.
I love his colouring!

[attachment=1]
[attachment=2]
[attachment=3]
[attachment=4]

Triangle continues to get braver every day.

[attachment=5]
[attachment=6]
He comes into the kitchen now while I'm getting the food ready.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2010, 16:56:47 »
Be careful as cats can talk or communicate with each other and before you know you will be feeding the whole cat population in your area. Do Cats Protection vaccinate and de-flea or will you have to pay for any vets visit if they get ill. Vets are expensive nowadays.  I am going to put a notice on my front door, NO MORE CATS.

I think the word is already getting around!

Cats Protection will have them neutered for us, free of charge.  I suppose the vet would vaccinate and de-flea at the same time, but I wouldn't expect CP to cover this too.  They use the same vet that I do for my dogs and I could always ask him about it.

Shirl has come up with a good idea to cover the cost of vet bills if they arise - she has suggested we do some fund-raising especially for the cats, maybe at our next event.

I have to admit that if any of the ferals become ill it will be a problem to get them to the vet.  We have a trap, but how would we trap the right one? 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2010, 16:58:57 »
I really believe there is such a thing as cat culture. We have two cats who learned that there is water for them in the bathroom and a glass on the bedside table too. When we introduced two other cats to the house it took about six months before there was a queue at the bathroom glass most nights. The new cats had never drunk from a glass before, but had learned what to do.

Nightly medication for one of them has become a ritual too, after the Metacam there are ham/cheese treats available so everyone gets themselves ready at about 9pm. I know this is all about food, but it seems to me that they love the ritual as much as the grub!

Cat Culture rules in our house! Your cats clearly know where they are safe and cared for Betty, more power to your elbow!

I wonder if I get some of the cat treats I could get Triangle to come to me for one? Worth a try.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2010, 17:46:47 »
Well Betty the new kitten looks so healthy. I can't wait to see it.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal