Author Topic: NEED HELP  (Read 3907 times)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
NEED HELP
« on: July 14, 2010, 00:22:37 »
 Has anyone any idea how to get rid of horsetail it is rampant in this garden where we have moved to  :o driving us mad its an everyday job so time consuming, it has taken over in the greenhouse :o :o.
We thought we would put the old carpets we are replacing in the greenouse to smother it would it be any good?.
Any help would be much appreciated.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: NEED HELP
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:12:32 »
It was rampant on our plot last year especially under the raspberries. I just kept getting the hoe under them & then in early late March this year we put a thick layer of manure over the plot & we haven't seen anywhere near as much so far. I don't think it likes the dark.
Someone on daughters plot had a bed of it & I noticed this week he has sprayed & it seems to have gone brown. I could ask him what he's used, I don't know how you feel about spraying?

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 08:03:44 »
It's all over our site with some areas worse than others.
I pull it up but you never get the whole root and any bit that's left will grow again. 

Grannyjanny - I'd be interested to know what spray was used please.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 09:14:03 »
not carpets rosebud,youre only storing up trouble for years to come,once stuff grows through them,they are a right pain to lift,and banned by our council for that reason,good luck with the mares tail/horsetail...im guessing these are both the same thing?
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 09:53:48 »
The plot we took over had been covered with black plastic and carpet for 4 years.  We were told there had been a problem with mare's tail, and so we knew what to look out for.  When we dug it over we tried to remove every tiny bit of root, but we still have it popping up in the beds, although we are determined to pull every bit out!  I think it's one of those weeds that is almost impossible to completely eradicate, but it can be kept under control with attention to detail and patience!  I have to say that we are very tidy- we only have a third of a plot and so it's fairly easy for us to keep on top of things- not so easy for people with a full plot that is weedy when taken over- ours just looked like virgin earth in January when everything was uncovered and we started to dig the beds.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 20:10:28 »
I think it's one of those plants you just have to keep pulling bits up of, whenever you can, and slowly little by little it will weaken and be less of a problem. But you might never get rid of all of it.

From what I've seen of others' plots, applying weedkiller looks more trouble than pulling it up - it needs many applications and still keeps coming back.

As long as it's down to manageable proportions then it's... manageable!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 20:15:39 »
A hoe!

As soon as it appears don't let it get above 1" high hoe it and it will eventually weaken and die!

Covering it doesn't seem to do the trick apparently it has been seen growing in coal mines so if this is true then covering is indeed a waste of time.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 20:23:27 »
 Thank you all for your input . It seems we are stuck with pulling it out every day :o :o. Goodness me. Yes Tee Gee i shall hoe it each time i see it which is evry 2 mins  ;D ;D ::) ::).

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 14:38:36 »
The only consolation is that if its root is way way down then it isn't taking any nutrients from the top soil
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 13:43:49 »
I thought I got rid of ours. Later it popped up again and I realized it had also grown into the lawn then shoved its way back
into the flower bed.

I thought I got rid of it a second time and jubilated about my persistence. Two years later found it had gone around the corner of the house and into another bed. I've quit being bothered and accept coexistence.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 18:22:35 »
accept coexistence
A sensible philosophy!

palmski

• Quarter Acre
  • My Raised Bed 07-2010
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 18:43:37 »
The allotment Keepers NIGHTMARE if its there its there 4 good. Just Hoe as soon as visable and you can keep it under control. Not easy and will take up alot of your time but be persistsant and it can be kept under control.

As mentioned if you cover it will just wait for you 2 remove cover and pop up within in days.
Good Luck

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 18:52:57 »
It's not there for good now.  SBK does the job although it doesn't say that on the container but can assure you it works.

Two plot holders have used it on our site and fingers crossed no sign of it coming back for the past two years now.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 18:54:28 »
Does lime discourage it?   I remember that it used to grow on the sandstone layer under the chalk of the north downs.  

palmski

• Quarter Acre
  • My Raised Bed 07-2010
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 19:06:15 »
It's not there for good now.  SBK does the job although it doesn't say that on the container but can assure you it works.

Two plot holders have used it on our site and fingers crossed no sign of it coming back for the past two years now.

If this works i am forever in your debt lol
i will try this over the weekend....

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 19:21:14 »
palmski, I promise it will work.

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 19:48:43 »

Hi

Two really thick questions What is SBK and where can you buy it?

X Chas

palmski

• Quarter Acre
  • My Raised Bed 07-2010
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 20:02:17 »

Hi

Two really thick questions What is SBK and where can you buy it?

X Chas

SBK is a Killer for tree stumps or bramble like pests  very useful in small amounts for other unwanted weeds.

Most good gardening stores or the trusty internet.

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 20:18:19 »
Not sure if this is consolation or not. But according to folklore/country medicine then horsetail or marestail infusion/teas are good for the treatment of urinary tract problems such as cystitis, incontinence and prostate problems, it is also rich in silica (which is the bit that makes it resistant to most weedkillers) so also good for brittle nails, thinning hair and allergies. Applied as a poultice it is  good for rhuematism, chilblains and other skin problems.

So if you are incontinent, balding with bad skin you really shold be thanking the heavens that your plot is blessed with it................ :-\

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 20:22:40 »
I heard that the roots go down 5 feet. It was on the plots that were one side of the centre road at our lotties and was  gradually moving further south all the time, fortunately not on our side of the road. Some plots had been abandoned to it.XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal