Author Topic: NEED HELP  (Read 3906 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: NEED HELP
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 20:41:06 »
I heard that the roots go down 5 feet.

That is a baby plant. When we were looking for the sewerage pipe in our previous garden we followed a root down over 3 metres and it was still going down when we stopped. (Never did find the sewer either). There are roots in a limestone quarry in Derbyshire which go down over 30 feet!
Gardening is the great leveller.

palmski

• Quarter Acre
  • My Raised Bed 07-2010
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 21:05:03 »
I heard that the roots go down 5 feet. It was on the plots that were one side of the centre road at our lotties and was  gradually moving further south all the time, fortunately not on our side of the road. Some plots had been abandoned to it.XX Jeannine

5 Feet we wish i have heard stories of our little friend some 5 meters below our pride of joy....

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 21:28:59 »

Thankyou   palmski,

X Chas

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2010, 08:01:41 »
We had a friend that worked on the road works and he said that they had to make a tunnel through a hill and it was even down there at that level
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2010, 18:35:14 »
must be awful to be hated that much  ;D does have its uses, is a natural fungicide - often comes in with manure but then so does a lot of unwanted items - I just snap it off all the time and I get loads of it

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 18:47:35 »
It probably depends on where the water table is. I've seen dandelion roots that were still going strong at eight feet, but that was a few years from the edge of a quarry. On my plot, I can dig them out easily. I've heard some tales of horsetail roots though! They've been around since long before the dinosaurs, survived ecological disasters which make global warming look like a joke, and you can expect them to be tough!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal