Author Topic: cabbage/clubroot/advice needed  (Read 1969 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
cabbage/clubroot/advice needed
« on: July 01, 2010, 14:53:16 »
Back in the Spring I purchased some Greyhound cabbage plants from a local nursery.  They are mostly ready to harvest.  Today when I picked 2 I found they have clubroot.   I have googled for information but I could not find the answers to the following;-

Are the cabbages OK to eat?  Don't know if I fancy them.

I have put them in a thick plastic  bag at the moment.   I intend to put them out for the council collection.   Is this alright?

Can I use the ground for Japanese onions or/and leaks?

What about the cauliflowers in the next bed?   They have no flower heads yet.   Should I dig them up.  The plants were bought on-line.

Did the clubroot come with the plants?

I am a bit shell shocked  at present.   I grew cauliflowers, cabbage and spouts last year.  No problems.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: cabbage/clubroot/advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 15:38:03 »
Today when I picked 2 I found they have clubroot. Are the cabbages OK to eat?  Don't know if I fancy them.

What do they look like?

Usually if the problem is bad they do not grow to an edible size, however yours sound as if the are of an edible size so go for it!

Put the roots in the plastic bag as you suggested for the council to collect!

Do not put them for recycling put them in the landfill collection, who knows if you recycle them the disease might land up in some unsuspecting persons compost!

Can I use the ground for Japanese onions or/and leeks?

Yes!

What about the cauliflowers in the next bed?   They have no flower heads yet.   Should I dig them up. 

No do not dig them up unless they begin to wilt which is one symptom of the problem.

Avoid walking from the affected bed to unaffected beds as this is one sure way of transferring the disease!

The plants were bought on-line.

Did the clubroot come with the plants?

Its possible but impossible to tell this is why I never accept brassicas from a third party!

I am a bit shell shocked  at present.   I grew cauliflowers, cabbage and spouts last year.  No problems.

Has anyone else on the plots been affected with clubroot, if yes have they walked over your beds or you over theres since last year!

The most common transferrance method of the disease is in soil from the soles of your boots or rootballs of affected plants!

Try and avoid growing brassicas on that patch for a year or two if you can.

A soil test might also tell you something.

Soil that is on the acid side is more susceptible to clubroot than more alkaline soil!

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Re: cabbage/clubroot/advice needed
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 17:39:56 »
Thanks for replies.
The roots have clumps of white bulges on their roots.
They have quite firm heads.  So I might eat one.
So I will put the waste in the main household rubbish.
I use slightly raised beds so do not walk on them.  I thought getting the plants from a nursery would mean they would be OK.

Glad to know I can put my onions and leeks in.
I will keep an eye on the cauliflowers.

Thanks again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal