Author Topic: Flies in kitchen caddy  (Read 1441 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Flies in kitchen caddy
« on: June 28, 2010, 08:47:58 »
I can put up with the swarm of tiny flies that comes out when I open my compost bin outside, but I'm gettig the same in my kitchen caddy where i collect the kitchen waste to go into the compost. Any ideas for reducing this problem, apart from keeping it outside?

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Flies in kitchen caddy
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 19:34:51 »
Does the lid not seal tight?  I'm sure ours does and I've never noticed a problem with flies.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

redcoat

• Quarter Acre
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 19:56:31 »
I'm guessing the contents are too wet.

I always put some folded newspaper in the bottom of my kitchen 'caddy' to soak up any liquid.  Also, I have a pile of sheets of newspaper (about half pages) and all kitchen waste is rolled into a loose package before being put in the 'caddy'.

All of this composts down quite happily when mixed with the usual suspects in the main  bin.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 17:15:38 »
Good idea- I do put newspaper in the bottom but will try wrapping stuff up as well. The lid doesn't fit tightly, it's just the standard lift-up-lid type, came free with the compost bin if I remember correctly. They are the same type of flies that tend to get in the fruit bowl in hot weather.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal