Author Topic: where to get a good polytunnel?  (Read 14670 times)

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
where to get a good polytunnel?
« on: April 28, 2010, 11:44:07 »
I noticed them for sale at around £60 for a 3.5 x 2 metre one. Is this OK? Where can I get a good one by mail?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: where to get a good polytunnel?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:58:51 »
Haven't bought one recently but used "First" Polytunnels and was very pleased...  :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 17:37:53 »
Probably not what you want but I thought I would mention it!

I went to Harrogate spring show last Friday and saw the best polytunnel I have ever seen.

It is this one; http://www.gardentunnels.co.uk/

If I came into a few bob I would certainly buy one!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 17:50:38 »
Thats a beauty Tee Gee ....does anyone know if I could fix that hinged work bench /staging to my glass greenhouse??

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 18:15:43 »
I've got that 3.5x2 metre one, it's cheap ly built, the arches are pretty flimsy, however it's stood for about a month now and I don't think it is going anywhere. I found that by marking out on the ground where the poles were going to go and then sinking the poles into the floor to the lower bar I can put marquee pegs (1 quid each from my local Army Surplus) over the lower bar and really nail it down./ This does mean a significant "skirt" of material and the tunnel is approx 6" lower, but unless yyou put it on paving slabs or similar it would have sunk in anyway and loosened off your anchoring. It doesn't come with anchor kits. I'll be using it for this year, looking to get a proper greenhouse for next year and then decide whether to use the tunnel on an allotment and if so, how.... I might well just use it as a rain shelter but that would require the far end being cut, it only ha one "entrance" end, the other is solid and the zips don't inspire confidence :-)

It works, it might work next  year, I'm not sure it would survive a winter up outdoors though... YMMV

chrisc

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 20:32:41 »
so the general consensus is what? About a cheaper polytunnel? No? Yes? Give it a try? How long would it last in a Scottish climate?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 21:12:04 »
Mine are from First tunnels, very happy with them both. It can get quite windy here, I have extra bracing and crop bars. I think a cheep polytunnel wouldn't last here.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 22:08:32 »
I bought a cheapo 4mx2m one on Ebay, £70ish. Is very flimsy indeed, wouldnt recommend it unless youre in a sheltered place. The poles pop apart easily and have had to be gaffer taped, and Ive had to bodge crossbars on it to stop it bending out of shape. Will be surprised if its still standing by the end of the year!

Someone else has just bought a Gardman one from a local garden centre, which is smaller but looks much more robust. The poles are thicker and screwed together, and the plastic is thicker. The downside is it doesnt have side vents and the plastic is completely clear, so its probably more likely to fry your plants.

PS- just checked out Gardentunnels, wow they look great. If I had a spare £1000 I'd be tempted!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 22:19:28 by lewic »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 16:06:33 »
Got both of ours from Northern polytunnels, between everyone,we now have 5 on site, including the 42' communal one...excellent service  :)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 15:49:43 »
I`m no fan of `cheapies` (but a bargain is fair enough) I bought one of these 17 years ago and only had to replace the cover last year

http://www.solartunnels.co.uk/splendid.php.

Costed out against replacing `traditional` covers it`s a bargain-and no trenching required

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 18:42:58 »
I got mine from First Tunnels nearly three years ago.  We are delighted with it.
The Tuscan Beaneater

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 01:39:08 »
liking the look of these I must say. 32mm tubes seem like they might stand Scottish weather. 300 quid though, its a lot of money. Is it worth it????

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 06:04:49 »
I got one in June 08 for about £60

[attachment=1]

It was brilliant for the first year, masses of room and everything grew like mad. 
The frame was very strong, but the covering started to deteriorate by the end of the season and some of the seams came undone. I patched it up and was able to use it last year, but this is what it looks like now

[attachment=2]

[attachment=3]

I might have been just unlucky and I suppose I should have taken the covering off in the winter.

I would still get another one, maybe even bigger because of the space and the way things grew but my husband thinks they are a waste of money.  But he's not the gardener and doesn't understand the stress of having so many plants and nowhere to put them!  :o

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 11:42:40 »
I suppose thats the dangers of cheap ones as I've been told.

mark p

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 20:00:28 »
got mine from premier polytunnels, a few things I didn't like, but overall I'm happy. ;D

Mark

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 17:44:35 »
I was looking at Premier Polytunnels. What didn't you like?

mark p

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 19:16:54 »
Just little things like the instructions were basic to say the least, had to guess for a few things, the clips that hold the tubes together didn't seem as good as first tunnels(top supporting bar / crop bars)  and Joint Strengthening Kit made me smile as it was just 10 more small clips that fit over the joint, not sure what support they will offer, the door again wasn't as agood design as first tunnels either.................but............now it's up and working I will give it the benefit of the doubt as see what happens, the proof is in how long it lasts and how things grow  ;D

cornish-pixie

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 19:43:51 »
Hi
We are in sunny Cornwall and on our Allotment next to me they have bought from E Bay a £65 polytunnel at the end of last year.  Where there is velcro on the roll up sides it has already ripped the cover.  The owner said if it lasts him two years he will be happy.   I have just bought one from premiertunnels and their backup is brilliant. They are not cheap and it comes with a manual and growing suggestions.   We are digging trenches out at the moment for the base plates then full steam ahead. Bought 10 ft x 15 but wish I could have afforded bigger now.  When putting on the polythene apparently it needs to be a hot day.  We also saw old polytunnels disused but guessed the screws would be rusted and warped frame?
Goodluck

Reedy

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 10:10:16 »
We got one years ago from first tunnels polytunnels but we had a few problems with it (missing bits and not very strong) and they were very unhelpful and said the frame didn't have any warranty. We got a new one this year from premier polytunnels and we are thrilled with the product (bigger metal hoops) and aftercare service, the instructions were very detailed and when we got stuck we just called them up and someone answered even though it was 7.30 at night!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal