Author Topic: greenhouse site preparation  (Read 2893 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
greenhouse site preparation
« on: January 04, 2011, 17:29:10 »
hi all

not going to be able to sort out greenhouse till march or April at earliest so putting whole thing on hold. But thought it might be a good opportunity to prepare ground. Was going to plant into soil for first year then cover with pebbles and plant into pot. Is there any value in digging in some fresh horse poo now and letting it break down over next few months??

was going to cover it with membrane and leave otherwise.

cam

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: greenhouse site preparation
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 17:34:55 »
Unless you are putting in proper footings... concrete or bricks then digging it now may make it settle badly and crack the glass. For a small one 6x8 or smaller then just onto pea gravel in a trench should do... in which case I'd dig the soil and add manure too...  :)

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 18:24:17 »
I put mine 8x6 on railway sleepers which gave me more head height inside less banging of head ;D It also made bolting the frame down easy.I layed two rows of 2x2 slabs inside put a bench one side and formed a bed the other side with a scaffold board. Dug out the soil seived it mixed in compost and well rotted horse manure.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 18:49:06 »
Hi

I wanted to put it on sleepers for the extra head height however that takes it above the max for the planning regulations so unless i dig a trench for the sleepers its not going to happen. My aim is for a 8x10 greenhouse.

Going to have to dig it to level it off as its on tiny incline but need to square it off to make life easier for fitting.

Cam

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 19:17:42 »
Hi

I wanted to put it on sleepers for the extra head height however that takes it above the max for the planning regulations so unless i dig a trench for the sleepers its not going to happen. My aim is for a 8x10 greenhouse.

Going to have to dig it to level it off as its on tiny incline but need to square it off to make life easier for fitting.

Cam

Eek!!! planning permission. do you need that for a greenhouse.? ???

Lottiman

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 19:48:11 »
I thought greenhouses and sheds were all classed as temporary structures and didn't need planning permission ???

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 20:48:16 »
As long as it's not over 30 square metres then you don't need planning permission for outbuildings unless in a conservation/natural beauty area. And horticultural/agricultural buildings are classed as temporary structures too.... I'm putting up a 20x10 (soon hopefully) so I did check.... council's can say what they like about planning permission, generally they have no say over temporary outbuildings

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal