Author Topic: eviction  (Read 13334 times)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
eviction
« on: March 18, 2010, 20:19:25 »
Remember I said that the council had told me to take my flag down?  They've told me that the neighbour has not withdrawn their complaint so as things stand it looks like they'll be evicting me on 1st April.  I can't believe this is happening.  I've been flying a flag for eighteen months, so why complain now, and what kind of neighbour has the influence to tell the council how to apply the allotment rules - either it's breaking the rules or it isn't, so why does it depend on the neighbour withdrawing their complaint?  I can't think what to do for the best.

Anywho, in totally unrelated news:  My rent protest is on the front page of the Newbury Weekly News today.

[imghttp://www.emilyware.co.uk/blogs/media/blogs/simon/StGeorgeShed.jpg][/img]
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: eviction
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 21:47:10 »
That's why they're so keen to find an excuse to evict you. They see you as a revolting peasant, probably in both senses of the term. Does the neighbour work for the Council?

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 22:14:35 »
sorry to hear this unwashed,we have about 7 plot holders flying flags on our site, and your sheds fab , hope you can work something out with the council/ shades x
grow your own way

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 22:21:35 »
Cheers Shades.

Robert, the council haven't told me who complained, only that they think the flag and chimbly are an eyesore.  I really would have been a lot more sympathetic if they'd told me to my face instead of getting the council involved.

Sorry, screwed up the image link.  Here it is again:
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 22:28:06 »
But I thought it had been proved flying a flag on the allotment is not against ANY law in this country?  Can you not ask for a meeting with the jobsworth who's telling you you're going to be evicted and have it out with them?  Quick phone call to the CAB to confirm?  I wouldn't stand for it if I definitely knew the law was on my side.  Simply being told it's an 'eyesore' upsetting someone's view would not wash with me!  Unwashed, you are a champion of helping other people's causes on here, now it's time to fight for yourself! :)

:(

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 22:35:11 »
Lots of things on allorment sites could be called eyesores, scaffold netting, blue water pipe, weeds, old baths & toilets, brokendown sheds, who  decides - your neighbour? Is there are rule in your tenancy that says no eyesores? Take your own advice and make them go to court for a possession order. Theyre trying to intimidate you. Dont let them.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 22:40:19 »
I think your flag and your shed are FAB!!!!!
I love people who dare to be different what a boring world if we all conform
Fight it Unwashed 'bet you'll find supporters . :)
sanity is overated

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 22:51:10 »
Hi SamLouise, there's no need for planning permission to fly a St. George Cross, but that doesn't necessarily mean the council can't make a rule to prevent it.  There's a rule that says structures can't be over 8 feet tall, but their examples of structures are sheds and greenhouses.  None of fruit cages, compost bins or bean frames are considered to be structures so I don't see how a flag pole can be a structure.

Hi weequinie, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Cheers macmac.  The flag thing was in the lcoal free paper this week and a neighbour stopped me in the street yesterday and told me the flag was great and I should keep flying it.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 23:03:05 »
The chimney and flag are fab. stick to your guns.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 23:12:15 »
I love your shed, flag and chimbly unwashed and if it was me I wouldn't remove it because someone thinks it an eyesore.

I think they are a picking on you over the rents.

My advice would be to go and take legal advice.  In my borough you can go and get free legal advice especially on council matters run by  local volunteer solicitors.  Hope you have something similar in your area.

I think you have two options here 1) have a meeting with the council and back peddle and knuckle down to want they want from you.........................this would mean letting them do want they want and no disagreements from you over rent increases, removing your flag, wanting to form a society etc OR 2) go get that advice and fight them all the way if the law is on your side.

Good luck

Sinbad

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 07:03:40 »
There is an election due.

Get on to your MP MEP and councillor.

Who runs these councils anyway. THEY are public servants not the other way round.

I agree with SamLouise It is a 'Healer, heal thyself' situation.

Start off with a petition on the site and see who refuses to sign it. It could be a hint of who 'loves you babe'. The comlainant is probably a bully who will also be a coward and face to face will no doubt sign the petition. Thus withdrawing their complaint.......

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 07:20:17 »
Non Illegitimi Carborundum, ;)

You couldn't make it up!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 07:28:58 »
I am sure that this is just an excuse because you are being awkward.  I think that your shed and flag look great.  There are a huge number of tatty looking sheds in allotments around the country but yours is not one of them.  

It does not seem right that one person complains and someone gets an eviction notice.  

I agree with Tonybloke. ;) 

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 10:40:29 »
Sorry to hear this is still going on Unwashed. What rules are they quoting for evicting you? Also does anyone on your site or in Newbury fly a flag on their allotment - if so then the rules (stupid as they are) should be applied equitably - i.e. they have to take theirs down as well. I find the use of the words "not being treated equitably" useful when dealing with authorities  ;)

Good luck

Edited to add - have you thought about contacting the nationals with this story? I think they'd love the pics of your shed / flag
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 11:02:00 by 1066 »

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 16:18:05 »
Yer what ever Tone said.
I was going to mention a petition, on the plot, then your friendly neighbour and so on, as said, most lotties are an eyesore with the collectable tat we store, but why live on top of an allotment if you don't like the view, the lotties were there long before the folk who live there, the bloke probably looks out of an upstairs window on tip toe to see your flag, pratt.    >:(           ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 16:26:01 »
So daft, I'm with 1066 get the national newspapers in.
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 17:27:42 »
Yes, do. I'm no flag flyer myself, but I'll defend anyone's right to differ from my ideas!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 21:00:26 »
Unwashed,
                          I totally support your right to fly our countries flag, but unfortunately you are like many other good folk in this country that are now the persecuted in your own country, who are your neighbours do they have a problem about living in this country if so sod off to better climes, >:(

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 22:50:37 »
 Unwashed, please stand up to the bullies. You are a real helper with problems on here Soooooo, now is the time to take your own advice & fight the moaning bleeders.  Get a petition going  could we sign on here  to help out?.   Ask for a meeting with the council & ask them for proof somone has complained.
You helped me i wish i could return that favour.
regards Mary ;D

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 18:29:54 »
I'm embarrassed to say that my resolve was weakening, but after reading your comments I'm resolved to see this through.  I am pretty sure that the council are just using this as an excuse to beat up on me and they really need to stop doing that.  I'm also pretty sure of my rights.  My only real concern was weather flying a flag is a reasonable thing to do, bit it is isn't it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal