Author Topic: eviction  (Read 13430 times)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
Re: eviction
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 18:42:07 »
that sounds more like the Unwashed we have got to know on A4A !!

Mind you, 1 thought I did have, and you may not like it so much is to do the campaigning, get the legal advice etc and if by the 30th March the council has still to back down, I would take the flag pole down - but made sure I had plenty of witnesses, filmed it, (and if you could find a bugler to provide the last post that would be even better) etc. And then fight (large style) the barstewards after that. Basically I just don't think I would be prepared to lose my plot. Obviously that's only my opinion...... but at the same time I hate bullies ......  :-\

Good luck whatever you chose to do

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 18:47:11 »
 Yes it is Unwashed, maybe they would settle for it being a foot lower, NO other concessions.  I would still ask for proof of complaint (call there bluff).
Go for it challenge them show them what you are made of we are all behind you who have posted here.
Regards Mary. ;D

PS good advice from 1066, but you must decide what you would like to do.

Don`t print the answer here ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 18:48:09 »
Thanks 1066. :)

No, I think if I'm really going to stand up to the council I have to be prepared to lose the plot, and after 15 years that would make me weep.  
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 19:00:57 »
Perhaps you could compromise a bit.  Suggest that you put a plant in the chimney so it become a flower pot rather than a chimney pot.  Maybe a floral display on the roof in the form of St George.   Or may be four slightly smaller flags at each corner.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 19:10:27 »
Thanks Mary.  I'd wondered about lowering it a bit if that would help, but like you say, I have to see the complaint.  It's not breaking any rule so before I do anything the council have to back off, but after then if the individual has a point I'll be as reasonable as I can be.

Cheers Digeroo.  Actually the council have already back down over the chimbly - I think they'd forgotten that they'd previously agreed to it.  Someone suggested instead that I paint my shed as a union flag.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2010, 19:25:35 »
  What a brilliant idea YESSSSSSS, paint the shed as a flag. Mary ;D ;D ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2010, 19:39:56 »
So glad to hear that the council have backed down over the chimney issue.
Now to the next issue, namely the flag / flagpole. You need to know that there is a genuine complaint. put every communication in writing, make sure to c.c. them to your local paper and M.P.
If it isn't actually against  any of the terms and conditions of tenancy, then the council are just being bullies. Call the national bully helpline!! http://www.nationalbullyinghelpline.co.uk/
 ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2010, 19:48:27 »
I must say that our local council will fly the flag at the drop of an hat, this St George's day will be a three day festival in our borough with everyone taking part even Mr Wong from the Chinese take-away, :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2010, 20:28:31 »
I realise that it is a principle but on the other hand you have more important battles to fight.    Surely the cost issue is much more important.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2010, 08:39:58 »
Stick to your guns my son, I'dmention on you being STRESSED out in your letter, it will go a long way as the council normally sit up and can be quite agreeable when this word gets a mention, but you are deffo intitled to see the complaint.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2010, 18:03:05 »
also use the word 'equitable' in correspondence with the council, such as, "I don't feel I'm being treated equitably in this matter" It's one of those 'scare words' for lawyers / council officials. ;)
You couldn't make it up!

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2010, 18:31:22 »
Hi Unwashed

Been following posts with interest.  Being a staunch member of the stand up to bullies and thwart the jobsworths brigade, I've even appeared on the local tele, after stirring up a (non-allotment related) storm.  Give 'em a  try. specially as SGD is only just around the corner.  You could be the Local Hero!  But I also understand that compromises might have to be made, so the painting the shed as a flag is the next best thing.

All the very best of luck here, for since when did we become the servants of local councils and since when did they become our masters.....and we pay 'em for it!!!!!!!

Regards Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2010, 18:32:50 »
Hi Digeroo, I'm fighting the rent increase too, my concern about the flag was that there might be a neighbour out there who really does find it anoying for some completely reasonable reason.  If the council want to bring the two of us together so that we can both understand each other's needs and expectations then they'd be doing the right thing and I'd be happy to try to understand the neighbours point of view, and maybe I'd decide then that it was reasonable to do something.

Of course, if it turns out that one of my town councillors have coerced some vulnerable old biddy into making a malicious complaint just so they can intimidate me for complaining about the rent increase or starting the allotment society or something, then that would be, err, different.  Perhaps they have their own reasons for not showing me the complaint.

I have to say how much I value and appreciate all of your support.  Thanks you.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2010, 18:35:58 »
since when did we become the servants of local councils and since when did they become our masters.....and we pay 'em for it!!!!!!!
Apso-bloody-lutely!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 19:04:47 »
What do you know!  I'm not going to be evicted after all.  They haven't said why exactly, but the council have definitively told me that there is no threat of eviction.  My site steward has also written a note of support to the council saying how my flag's unique and no one has a problem with it, so that was very helpful. 8)

All of your help and support has been invaluable.  My Council read all of my threads on A4A and I'm sure they will have taken your comments into account.

:(

• Acre
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 19:17:51 »
Thats great news, common sense prevails. Im wondering though exactly how your councillors justify the taxpayers money theyre wasting reading your threads on an allotment forum? They and MPs just dont get it do they.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 19:22:42 »
Well done!   Sounds as if common sense has triumphed at least for a few moments.

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2010, 19:28:01 »
great news fella  ;)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2010, 19:37:09 »
That's really good news, you must be so relieved.

Good luck with the rent increase campaign.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2010, 20:57:28 »
Great news.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal