Author Topic: Gardeners World - At last!  (Read 13315 times)

ginnyknit

• Not So New ...
Re: Gardeners World - At last!
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2010, 23:47:53 »
I started recording Gw so I can fast forward through the boring bits - thats a lot of it to be honest! There are still a few tips I enjoyed, like the lily propagation. Watched the Edible garden and was quite impressed, more down to earth especially when the dog had a wee on the veg :D Planted pea shoots the next day.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2010, 08:42:55 »
I watched a program where Chris is planting roses...he mentions about soil and how it is sandy and putting compost will help...looks like clayish to me..and wasn't it last year they were talking about garden having a heavy soil?

Yesterday Aly was doing "heavy" work with her fancy wooly cloves on?? ::) ..spreading compost on surface and forking it in..."clearing roots and weeds as she goes on"..looked done job already..no weeds on site..new turf to stand on..IT IS ALL FAKE!!!  >:( >:( ..and she was planting sorrel into that new border right close to the edge of the bed...doesn't she realise how big these plants grow!!!..nobody is going to eat that much sorrel that those plants will stay small..  In  a bit there will have leaves on the lawn edge..which will start dying with lack of light and then they will have to repair the edges... ::)
OH..and the soil when she was moving the barrow was sooo...wet...
she shouldn't be anywhere near to that soil untill it has dried a bit..or she should have explained it to viewers and said "do not it like I have at home... ::)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2010, 08:54:41 »
.."do not do it like I have at home"...

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2010, 08:59:46 »
AND another thing....with good gardening practice...
..as there is newly edged lawn where Aly was working...she should have had a boad over the area where she was working. If she were to do as much work like she was letting us believe,,,that lawn edge would be now totally ruined.. ::)

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2010, 09:13:13 »
I agree Goodlife - Alys' gardening was all fake, disappointing.  I was alarmed by the clambouring about and digging of wet earth too.

But most of all what annoyed me was that she said she had loadsa' produce and yet all you get it a close up of one plant.  "I can't get enough peas to the kitchen" she said - I don't doubt it if you only grow a little clump like that.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2010, 10:27:38 »
..I'm so thoroughly work up today with bad gardening programs...other people...GRR.....I'm of to MY OWN garden now..to calm down and enjoy my day... ;D..and then later on tonight if I'm still in bad mood..I'll write letter to GW team and tell them what I think of their program..Would any body have any objections if I would borrow some opinions that has been said in this tread...?
And can I advertise A4all by pointing to our direction if they want to know more...?

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2010, 08:22:26 »
I wouldn't waste your energy getting all wound up about it Goodlife.  I suspect it's not aimed at gardeners with any experience.

But, I was an armchair gardener long before a real one on account of the lack of an actual garden and I remember there did used to be some great programmes:  Is it Dan Pearson; ages ago designed some beautiful, long-term ones with plants not decking and a water feature.

Anyway, if you do complain, can you tell them I stopped watching after the bloke with the allotment called in an etymologist to identify the rare insect eating his cabbages (which were totally unprotected).  First, I'd only been growing vegetables for two months and I was well aware of what a cabbage white was and secondly surely another plot-holder would've told him easily enough.  Totally lacking credibility  ???

I actually really appreciate the idea that Alys is trying to pull off and wanted to learn some tricks off it, but I suspect there are much better gardens already doing it and some of the owners may post here  ;)  Besides, I wish she would also stop saying how 'tiny' her garden is, because it clearly isn't - for London anyhow.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2010, 09:23:02 »
I would be interested to see some of the old GW programmes in black and white, with the early authoratative presenters, Percy Thrower and Arthur Billet spring to mind. There certainly were no fancy camera angles in those days.

I found this lovely clip of Arthur in the 70's on :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lifestyle/mediaplayer/consoles/gardeners_world/bb_rm_console.shtml?nbram=1&bbram=1&tab=5

Click onto classic clips and choose.

Watch it and tell me you learned nothing!

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 09:27:07 by allaboutliverpool »

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2010, 11:18:09 »
Just watched part 6, was ok, again not much focus on vegetables. :(
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2010, 15:09:02 »
"I wouldn't waste your energy getting all wound up about it Goodlife"...

...I'm  8) now ;D..I have been like woman possessed with spade..there is absolutely no steam left in me...none.. ;D

I know many don't rate ground force programs..but you could see them working.."what ever the weather" ::)...it was honest and Tich said many times you should not do this at home....
If GW presenters would even once let us know, when they start new project, how many people were involved preparation...how long it took for them...etc.
It would open many wannabe gardeners eyes how long jobs take....it is not matter just  pushing barrow a yard, forking few times and nice smile.....
Blood and sweat....that's what I want to see!!!! ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal