Author Topic: Gardeners World - At last!  (Read 13298 times)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
Re: Gardeners World - At last!
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2010, 06:57:32 »
well I like the new show so much better than the terrible throw money at the job years of monty, chris, joe .

I think Toby and Alys and Carole are actually convincing gardeners and i like the much more down to earth approach.
used to be every program id be shouting at the tele in frustration not this season (except Tobys first day when he dug in wet mud!)

The magazine this month was so much more practical than normal to.

I've got high hopes.

Off to lay some bricks and get the greenhouse up at last!
x sunloving

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2010, 12:34:55 »
All the presenters should be put onto the compost heap, what is needed is someone on the lines of Geoff Hamilton and/or Geoffery Smith both had great knowlege and stacks of get up and go. Good down to earth gardeners

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2010, 13:39:19 »
Just watched the 4th program on the PC, I liked the bit he did with the raised beds, that was useful to me.
I also like lilies, so all that bulb separation stuff was interesting. (still need to get some lilies though)
They have to cater for everyone I suppose, that's why some things aren't as useful as others, I can totally disregard the stuff about hedges...no room for one.
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2010, 09:37:45 »
Did quite enjoy most of it, but I'm afraid as a professional (should probably put that in ' ' as I've not been doing it that long!!) you do start picking up on stuff that they shouldn't really be advocating to potential complete novices. The hedge thing really got me going. For the sake of ten minutes putting in a string line you get a wonky hedge. If you want a curved hedge then fair enough, but make it into a proper curve or a proper shape. Don't just put them in higgeldy piggedly and then claim it's ok just because you can't be bothered. Also one of the basic rules is you never leave roots exposed to the air for longer than absolutely necessary. The idea of laying out fifty box plants like that while you mess about planting them is just plain wrong!

Despite all that, I probably will watch a bit more of this series. Haven't been a regular viewer for some time but much preferring this setup.

We did wonder where Alys had gone. Always had a feeling they were just trying her out for something else.

bazzysbarn - depending on how old your son is there might be a compost layer down there somewhere. My husband isn't much better in his study and he's supposedly fully grown  ::)   ;D

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2010, 10:21:41 »
I might be missing out, but I can't even be bothered to look to see if it is better than the awful last series.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

blackcountrysteve

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2010, 19:00:52 »
watched it on bbc iplayer...its ok but not great
there will never be another geoff hamilton...he certainly was the king, could watch him all day

at the end of the programme the bloke toby reminded us the clocks go forward on sunday
and to enjoy an extra hours gardening....id have thought it was an hour less though !!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2010, 19:23:51 »
It's an hour more this time of year, an hour less in the autumn.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2010, 20:37:30 »
That's right - when I help my daughter in winter with her London plot, I insist on setting off for 60 mile drive back home while still light, ie 4 -ish.

Today I couldn't get away until 6.30....

Still, we planted 10 asparagus crowns and some potatoes and artichokes, and cleared out round some young fruit trees, while 4 little boys ran around laughing and chasing each other, so the extra time was worth it.

Have tried watching GW and cannot last the course.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2010, 21:51:31 »
I'll have to give it another try! havn't watched it since I decided I already knew how to replant a plant from a pot
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2010, 08:33:11 »
I tried watching it the other week as I'd high hopes that they'd listened to the complaints. Going back to 30 minute programmes was a step in the right direction as it removed padding but watching toby filmed in the greenhouse through glass with the sun shining on it,  >:( , and then later on with Joe walking across the foreground shot did it for me. They still dont seem to understand how to frame a shot any longer. This happens on other programmes and it does my head in.

I now watch QI instead

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2010, 09:17:04 »
We did wonder where Alys had gone

She has got her own show called the Edible Garden.  I think it is trying to bring the decorative aspect in with the edible.  Not sure when it starts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/comingup/the-edible-garden/

I have tried GW but sorry to say Toby sends me nuts there is something about the way he talks that sends me straight for the off switch

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2010, 09:40:38 »
"Toby sends me nuts there is something about the way he talks"
..That's it...you said it....!
He comes across as totally nice bloke...NICE..too much so...whimpish...goody goody...
He just irritates me...he's tone of voice is always same...
 >:(...just having a grumpy morning.....I bet he's NICE chap.....
Don't like Alice neither...uni/student type...no, not for me....
Joe with his allotment thing spoiled the plot,,should have stayed with designing...
Now...Carol is ok...Monty was ok(recently has come across a bit odd through few artickles in papers)...Alan and Geoff. :) :)
What is it with garden designers that they think they are "the bees knees"..I know few of those and their knowlege of gardening and plants is crap..yet how can you design garden that works if you don't know the basics?...So many times designers(swear word) have looked at me down at their noses (gardener)and yet time and time again it's me who have to put right their mistakes...GRRR!

TrikiDiki

• Not So New ...
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2010, 00:17:43 »
If you'e got a Sky box, have a look at 'The Beechgrove Garden'. Starts next Wednesday on BBC Scotland.

Jim McColl is from the same mould as Geoff Hamilton. A basic, down to earth gardener.

Previous series have lots of veg. gardening articles albeit you have to accomodate the fact that what they are doing will be some weeks behind the south of England.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2010, 10:19:57 »
Out of interest, I watched last weeks GW episode today. One thing that struck me was how Toby was speaking, has he been told to present differently or something? There was also a voice over by him obviously added on later explaining what he was doing when planting the container veg....it was a curious monotone and I found it very odd. Can't say it tempted me to continue watching really, Caroles bit propagating lillies bit was OK, at least she has a more natural presenting style even if she is a bit over effusive at times!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

irnhed

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2010, 10:54:07 »
Inspired by the posting about 'The Beechgrove Garden' on BBC Scotland (which is now on my planner to set to record) I had a bit of a look around.

On S4C (Welsh national channel) on Sky, there is a programme called 'Bwy Yn Yr Ardd' on Wednesdays at 20:25.

I believe it translates as 'Living in the Garden'.

It'll be a cracking test of my school-level Welsh.  It'll be interesting to see how much I can pick up from 'just' watching the pictures.

Let me see.  I know that Moron is Carrot, Dwr is Water and Tomatos is self-explanatory.

Should be a piece of cake.  Or Cacen for that matter   :)
I'd rather be digging my plot

irnhed

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2010, 10:56:06 »
Just found Alys's new programme 'The Edible Garden'.

Starts 7th April, 20:00 on BBC 2.

First programme is Peas & Beans.
I'd rather be digging my plot

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2010, 16:32:08 »
I'm looking forward to seeing what the new programme's like. It's funny how much we care about these programmes, isn't it?  ;D

I agree that Toby's changed his presenting style. My family and I were saying, last Friday night, that he sounded almost hypnotic!

From my limited experience of TV work (being interviewed and presenting), I know it's tricky to strike the right note. You need to feel comfortable in your own skin while putting across a 'story' in a limited time and under direction.

We down-to-earth gardeners easily see through gimmicky approaches and any falseness. The presenter needs to be allowed to share his/her passion for gardening honestly, rather than attempting to 'sell' an idea. The production values need to let the presenter's personality shine through, without dazzling us with Personality with a capital P.

Geoff Hamilton is rightly remembered with great affection: a genuine bloke sharing a genuine passion. His sense of humour and sense of value for money worked great then and would work great now.

I also have great respect for Monty Don in his latest series on craftsmen - a highly appropriate choice of presenter for that particular programme (series just finished). And Titchy is very versatile, of course...

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2010, 13:24:33 »
Well just watched the 5th program on the PC, not much about fruit n veg this time, but I still enjoyed it.
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2010, 21:46:38 »
Unfortunately I am missing the second Gardeners World in a row whilst in Nice.

Thank goodness for my Sky Plus Box which is recording them for me.

It is interesting that I have posted 4 replies in 15 mins with hardly anybody else posting!

http://allaboutallotments.com/index.html

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2010, 23:02:55 »
settled down to watch GW but unfortunatly fell asleep after the first few minutes , it had just finished when I woke. was it any good? was it worth catching up on?
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal