Author Topic: Gardeners World - At last!  (Read 13310 times)

Mortality

• Hectare
  • A Sandbloom from, A Tale in the Desert online game
Re: Gardeners World - At last!
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 16:08:11 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mw1h

Links to watch the last few programs online, having never watched GW before, I must admit I liked it  :P
Please don't be offended by my nickname 'Mortality'
As to its history it was the name of a character I played in an online game called 'Everquest'
The character 'Mortality Rate' was a female Dark Elf Necromancer, the name seemed apt at the time and has been used alot by me over the years.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 13:27:45 »
Unbelievable. I have just watched the recording of last night's GW and the only bit dedicated to growing vegetables was 20 seconds at the end relating to sowing leeks.

Does this mean that we should all have this next week off (the first week of Spring) as there are obviously no other vegetable and fruit tasks?

Who is responsible for the balance of topics?

http://allaboutallotments.com/index.html

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 13:34:49 »
Watched it last night as we were hiding from sport relief & was actually pleasantly surprised. Seemed much more to do with horticulture than previously. Much less gimmicky. No, there wasn't much on veg, but they just can't cover everything in half an hour. Always going to be a problem. Did convince me that trying to get my mum to dig up a bit of her long established rhubarb patch may not be such a good idea. Didn't have a clue they were such monsters when you got them out!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 13:39:11 »
Yes, I think you'd have to include the rhubarb bit as well- I found that useful as I have a patch of very old rhubarb and have always been scared of just chopping it so brutally- now I know I can!

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 18:00:45 »
I watched it as well... still not overly impressed, the sooner they ditch both Carol Klein and Joe Swift the better.
One thing that bugs me about last nights though was why wait till now to sow leeks? Most people would have sown them in January.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2010, 18:12:07 »
I sowed mine last weekend. ???

kippers garden

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2010, 07:54:33 »
Just watched Friday's Gardeners world and yet again there was hardly any info on veg growing (except 30 seconds telling us to sow leeks when most of us have sowed them already).  I think this should seriously be looked at by the BBC especially as the sale of veg seeds is now higher than the sale of flower seeds...this should tell them something.

I did enjoy the rhubarb item though and the part at the beginning about the insects/bees etc.  However i feel that they use plants and features that are expensive that 'Mr and Mrs Average' would not buy.

I too loved Geoff Hamilton for the cheap things he made and his down to earth approach and i loved Alan Titchmarsh for his knowledge and enthusiasm in the garden.  Unfortunately i think that the presenters now are the 'trendy posh gardeners' who have forgotten the 'down to earth' approach.

Pls don't shoot me down if you don't agree...this is just my opinion.
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 10:28:14 »
I sowed mine last weekend. ???
Yet to sow mine.
GW.....boring :(  get rid a Joe n Toby and give Carol and Alys the job as the two mane presenters.

Macy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2010, 12:35:54 »
One thing that bugs me about last nights though was why wait till now to sow leeks? Most people would have sown them in January.
I wasn't planning on sowing them just yet, given the weather, but was prompted by the reminder.

Given his past articles in Kitchen Gardener, I'd say Toby has the potential to make stuff on the cheap a la Geoff Hamilton. I recall him building fruit cages and making his own apple press in the magazines in the past. I guess how much is the presenter and how much is the production? I'd be definitely switching off if Carol got the main job.

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2010, 13:08:56 »

... most of us have sowed them already ...

I'm still waiting for my T&M order. The reminder on GW will make sure I sow them as soon as they arrive.

Digitalis

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2010, 13:34:02 »
I enjoy GW. It should still be an hour, but in the current format. Get rid of Joe and his barmy design babble!

Toby is excellent, as is Alys.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 21:06:09 »
A great improvement for allotmenteers this week with more emphasis on veg growing.

Even Carol kept my attention with the lily scales in Vermiculite which I will try.

I understand that Alys has got her own programme, an idea that I facetiously suggested earlier in this post.

Trust Joe to come up with the idea of a box hedge with 'organic form', in other words unkempt!

8/10

http://allaboutallotments.com/index.html

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 21:12:38 »
still not impressed with it . 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 21:21:17 »
I've done the lily scales thing, and it worked well. I put them in compost, in plastic bags which I sealed up and put in the cupboard with the hot water tank for a few weeks.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 21:25:58 »
Get rid of them all !! Change the theme music!! Bring in new producers!!Make it a five minute programme!  :P
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2010, 21:34:55 »
Thanks allaboutliverpool i wondered what the organic form was in box hedging!!! Does that mean my sons room is organic?  ;D ;D
Havent sown any leeks yet either still eating last years!

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2010, 22:26:42 »
Well said Bazzysbarn

Don't spread the term 'organic' or every kid will be claiming that as an excuse, we already have problems with plotholders, like the one whose plot is a mess, and he says he only likes to work on it in the Winter to avoid killing wildlife! Suffice to say that he has done nothing this Winter and has been served notice!

I am also still digging leeks, but have sowed mine.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2010, 22:39:53 »
I agree with Duke, maybe I have just been watching gardening programmes for too much of my life now but there wasn't really anything much to excite me in that programme and Toby is just so condescending, I think.  I thought they were going to make this new series better! :(  I wish Geoff Hamilton was still here!! :'(

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2010, 22:41:52 »
They should have less flowers in the program, they seem to not have much mention of veg at all.
It should be based on what people should be doing in the garden at that time of year.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2010, 22:45:36 »
I think Toby is OK but change the producers. MInd you I did not notice so much of the silly shots with other presenters walking past in the background to make it look busy.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal