Author Topic: Neighbour dilemma  (Read 11758 times)

Old bird

• Hectare
Neighbour dilemma
« on: March 03, 2010, 12:19:00 »
Hi all!

I put my greenhouse in my garden at the end - having cleared a large tree to make space for this.  It backs onto a road so there are no neighbours at the rear but and it is a big but my next door neighbour - who is a gardener and who I get on with - There was nothing on this part of their garden it is their kitchen garden area -  planted a small tree within six inches of the boundary against the greenhouse side!

It has now grown up and was about 12 ft high and big branches have been over my greenhouse - whch she has said it is OK to cut - but now the tree which has leaves in winter and is a dark copper coloured tree - is shading my greenhouse.  It is due south of the greenhouse. I have cut out a fair bit coming over the g'house.  So now - from getting sun most of the day I am getting virtually no sun at all - maybe a tiny bit of early morning sun and a smidgeon of later afternoon sun.

What should I do.  I certainly do not want to fall out with her - but for some reason she has planted it their "for a purpose"!  Currently she  is in Australia visiting family and I don't want to make a "thing" of it! 

What would you do?

Old Bird :-[

What would you do?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
Re: Neighbour dilemma
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 12:27:24 »
People are so funny about trees! I heard of someone once that drilled a hole through the fence & into the tree, then used round-up with a syringe & short length of fish tank air tubing. Apparently if you do it when the tree is dormant, come spring the tree will distribute the weedkiller around itself & shuffle off it's mortal coil... A couple of doses was all it took, apparently. This was for a self-sown sycamore.

I'm sure that, like me, you would never condone such action but thought I would share it with you anyway!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 12:45:42 »
You can cut off anything that hangs over your side.  Though I think that the wood belongs to your neighbour.  Also if it is so close to your side a bit of 'root pruning' might dampen its enthusiam.   A copper nail into the roots was always said to be the way to 'discourage' a tree. 

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 13:42:35 »
OB - You say you get on with your neighbour - have you talked about the height of the tree and the shade problems that is causing you?

It would be unlike you to be backward in coming forward ;) ;D

If you haven't had 'the chat', I would suggest that is the thing to do when she gets back from Oz.  If the tree was pruned to say 8ft would that help you?

Or ---- a large application of salt will slow it down no end :o

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 13:44:41 »
Have you had a word about it with her?

What I am thinking is;

You say;
who is a gardener and who I get on with

When she gets back from Australia couldn't you invite round to see your problem and see how she reacts.

Who knows? she might be quite amenable and she might not be aware of the problem.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 14:03:21 »
In the long term this may not maintain friendly relations.  If you declare a problem and but she is not helpful you will fall out with her.  If tree then dies you are no 1 suspect.  If it quietly succombs you will not fall out with her.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 15:00:09 »
I would go with the idea of talking to the neighbour, show them the problem & hopefully they will agree to prune, move or remove the tree.
If you give any serious consideration to the suggestions to kill the tree then ask yourself how you would like it if somebody decided it was acceptable for them to kill plants or trees in your garden because they didn't like them.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 15:06:26 »
I had been thinking along the lines of the tree unfortunately giving up the ghost - only problem is she has left her husband home alone!  Could be embarrasing if caught!!!  Ollie I would bung a nail in - again only problem is the flipping greenhouse is in the way of nail and hammer!!

Unfortunately I have got slabs in the greenhouse so can't get at the roots!

SMP you are right I am not, generally, backward at coming forward - but this close to home I am very wary of causing upset or if there was an "agenda" planting this tree so close to the greenhouse!! 

Digeroo - I have cut off as much as I can and the tree is definitely "lop sided" now with a flat side on my side - but now it is getting so big, I can't get very close to hack at it as the flippin greenhouse is in the way!!!!

I think you are right I will have to talk to her, no point talking to husband as he doesn't wear the trousers in this household, I think there may have been  a reason why she planted it so close to my boundary and this may give her the opportunity to air that reason!

O B

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 16:30:28 »
OB, good luck with whichever path you choose...I'd certainly go along the route of inviting her round to see for herself the impact caused,  and just be glad that she is a neighbour one could do that to (me=the thug neighbour from hell on one side >:().

Gardening for others, I've become more and more aware that 'my laydees' don't do their research when buying a 'bargain' at Morries or wherever and have no idea just how high their new twiglet will grow in a short space of time, have little or no idea of the concept of orientation and shadow/shade caused,  and perhaps she is similarly ignorant of the facts? I'd really like to hope that once she's seen the impact of the shade it's causing on your g/house with its continued (and continuing?) growth, she'll perhaps agree to its removal from that spot? Honestly, you've nothing to lose by this - except...you've shot your bolt, perhaps, to 'encouraging' it to die by 'natural' means right now if she's not amenable?.....oooh, just a thought....shot your bolt for this season, perhaps, but heck! all sorts of plants/trees inexplicably give up the ghost in the winter...dont they? Not only have we had a hard winter this year...there's always next...

When does she come back from Oz btw?

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 16:44:29 »
Hyacinth - I think a couple of weeks time!

I think you are right that I should approach her directly - but I am not  - dare one say it - very good at being diplomatic - I call a spade a spade - and - without intending to do so - do cause upset as I speak without thinking diplomacy!

Ah well - I will give it a go and let you know how I go!

thanks for your input guys!

O B

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 17:17:58 »
So this is what you do...

Invite her round for coffee/tea when the 'house is in full shade...oh! and have some digestive bix (poss even CHOKLIT digestive bix? 8) on offer....you really can't be spluttering bix crumbs over her (can you? ::)) so that'll buy you thinking time  ;D

w00dy

• Quarter Acre
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 17:30:48 »
Id do as suggested above invite her round and speak to her, if you cant agree, then maybee its possible to move then greenhouse, easier than moving a tree, just an idea.

w00dy
Im the gaffer in our house, the missus said i could be.
http://noobveg.blogspot.com

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 17:41:23 »
Id do as suggested above invite her round and speak to her, if you cant agree, then maybee its possible to move then greenhouse, easier than moving a tree, just an idea.

w00dy

Woody, you and I are writing hypothetically and can only say what we'd do in the circs. My experience of having a 'house erected for me, and I've got the smallest possible 'house - 6' x 4' - thinking about ground preparation, levelling, laying the paving inside, paying for erecting the 'house etc,etc.....my way would be to go for paying for the tree's removal, if she agrees,  & paying for a replacement sited elsewhere. Less money,  a million times less hassle, and more quickly achieved.  :-\

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 17:50:00 »
Sour grapes on your neighbours part, you have a greenhouse, :)

james1

• Half Acre
  • Huyton
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 07:03:35 »
KILL THE TREE........................ :-X

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 07:27:33 »
There was nothing on this part of their garden it is their kitchen garden area - 

Is their kitchen garden area affected by having the tree there?  If it isn't casting shade on their side, could you say something about the roots not being good for whatever they are growing?

If this doesn't get you anywhere, I would definitely consider moving the greenhouse as w00dy suggests.  I know it's a lot of work but in the long run it's better than falling out with your neighbour.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 07:39:32 »
It does make you wonder why she planted the tree there in the 1st place, but maybe as Hyacinth says - she might not have given much thought to it. Talking is always the best option, but I know it can be tricky, best to be up front and honest

Can you offer to help? i.e. with paying for it to be removed / a replacement? That might soften things.
Let us know how you get on  :)

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 10:03:18 »
Thanks for the useful replies peeps!

Unfortunately her garden is not shaded as the said tree is north corner of her garden - I would need to fell at least 2 more trees to re-site the greenhouse to get away from the shade.  Which is why I put the g'house there in the first place as it has it side on the south face with what used to be uninterrupted sunshine!!

I think you are all right - including kill the tree - I generally do not show animosity to trees etc.  but this particular tree is NASTY!!!

I will wait until she comes home and speak to her!

Thanks for all the replies!

Ann

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 10:47:26 »
If she wears the pants and is away, I would jump in with a chat with the husband,alone wife away, ask him round for supper.. couple of beers in the backgarden, trot around same noticing the greenary coming through here and there,when you just happen to come to the greenhouse give him the tour.. man to man he might tell you why his tree is planted there,discuss same  after all it will kill his fence with the roots as they get big. You never know by the time Bossy Britches gets back yiu might have him on your side!!

Worth a try.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 12:19:59 »
Jeanine

Not the sort of bloke you would invite round!!!  He is - what I would politely call - odd!

O B

;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal